General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jazzlover
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Renaming the Characters

Post by jazzlover »

isaella swan wrote:i don't know if sm thought about the origin of her characters' names, but:
isabella is the italian/spanish form of elisabeth which is hebrew and means "my god is seven" as seven equals perfection u could also translate it as "my god is perfection"
and edward means "shining or sharp sword" or if u take the german form "keeper of the treasure"
perfection and keeper of the treasure fits perfectly doesn't it?!
I believe that i've heard that she originally wrote just using the words Boy and Girl or something like that and then went back and filled in names after she had researched meanings a bit, so the meaning behind the names would be intentional.
"The wasting of finite resources is everyone's business."
TeamEdward1918
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Wandering outside Forks looking for a certain house...

Post by TeamEdward1918 »

^^ I read that, too. She had more difficulty with Bella's than with Edward's, right? I believe that's what she said. Now I want to find where I read that... Maybe on SM.com? I'll have to check
I am a Twilighter with OCD
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side"
E<3B
Edward Cullen: Volvos Never Looked So Good
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

I like all their names they way the are, I am soooooo glad Jasper is Jasper and not Ronald! shudder!!!

The only name I'm on the fence with sometimes is Edward. I like that name, but maybe cos it reminds me so much of Jane Austen characters and I imagine "Edward Cullen" to be so much more larger than life, above and beyond any other fictional HUMAN character! Altho when put together, Edward Cullen sounds nicer than just Edward. It just rolls off your tongue just right :D
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
Cullen_Lover
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Lol Twilight Universe!My kind of world. :lol:
.....................................................................................................................................

Cullen_Lover. I LOVE TWILIGHT SAGA
ImageImageImage
Cullen_Lover

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Laina wrote:I can't imagine any of them with a different name, it just seems wrong!

Even Renesmee, I love that name, it fits her perfectly! It's not like she's ever going to go through a normal schooling system and have the kids laugh at her, where's the problem?

I agree Renesmee is such a cute name! Love that way it sounds, one question though. Would Renesmee have an accent on the last e like Esmè? Cause I`m sure most people know that Esmè like Renè is pronounced Es-may so bacause Bella made her daughters name a mix of the two which both have accents on the last letter would Renesmee be pronounced Ren-ez-mee or Ren-ez-may???
ImageImageImage
Cullen_Lover

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Lacuna Scion wrote:Ooo. Neato; hm...

Well, I always thought Jacob would make a good Eli. I don't know why.
I like the name Esme but her personality always reminded me of a Charlotte.

I don't know why these sort of things pop into my head. But it comes in handy to make up code names for the characters. When my friends and I talk TW around "non-believers" we don't look so weird because they don't recognize the names.

We now have Team Eli and Team Charles. :lol:
Lol I do that alot!But personally I love all the names in the Twilight Saga. But I too have little short cuts and code names for the characters!
ImageImageImage
Cullen_Lover

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Jazzy wrote:I like all their names they way the are, I am soooooo glad Jasper is Jasper and not Ronald! shudder!!!

The only name I'm on the fence with sometimes is Edward. I like that name, but maybe cos it reminds me so much of Jane Austen characters and I imagine "Edward Cullen" to be so much more larger than life, above and beyond any other fictional HUMAN character! Altho when put together, Edward Cullen sounds nicer than just Edward. It just rolls off your tongue just right :D

Really?I think Edward is a perfect name for him, I couldn`t picture him with any other name.It`s achually quite hard achually to picture any of the characters with names that don`t suit them. But that`s an interesting theory and I love this column! :D
ImageImageImage
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

If they really had to change their names, I could imagine Jasper as a Stanton, though Jasper is much better... <3
List, Gnat ♥
twimaia
Settled in Forks

Post by twimaia »

jazzlover wrote:
isaella swan wrote:i don't know if sm thought about the origin of her characters' names, but:
isabella is the italian/spanish form of elisabeth which is hebrew and means "my god is seven" as seven equals perfection u could also translate it as "my god is perfection"
and edward means "shining or sharp sword" or if u take the german form "keeper of the treasure"
perfection and keeper of the treasure fits perfectly doesn't it?!
I believe that i've heard that she originally wrote just using the words Boy and Girl or something like that and then went back and filled in names after she had researched meanings a bit, so the meaning behind the names would be intentional.
If I remember correctly from SM's website, Bella was the name she wanted to give her daughter if she ever had one, so it was very personal for her. For the other characters, I think she researched popular names form the times they were born.

The only name I have trouble with is Renesme.I still don't know how to pronounce it. But I understand that it needed to be a really unique name and I can't think of anything else that would have been a better fit.
Jasper<3
Gone Fishing with Harry

Post by Jasper<3 »

It says how to pronounce Renesmee in the book when she first suggests it: Ruh-nez-may. I like the name, and after hearing it for so long, I actually forgot it wasn't a normal name!
List, Gnat ♥