Jasper's Response to Bella's Change

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Re: Jasper's Response to Bella's Change

Post by Jazzy »

I felt so bad for Jasper :(

He was experiencing a lot of self-doubt and probably self-loathing too. He's always felt guilty about the bday party scene, tearing up his family like that and having to feel Edward's pain with his separation from Bella. He blames himself for a lot of things, then add that to seeing Bella cope so well with being a vampire.

Jasper is a tortured soul most of the time. Having to live thru war and death for over a century, and feeling everything his victims felt. If he didn't have such strong character and willpower he probably would have turned really evil. Plus having to live in a cloud of emotions all the time, feeling everyone's bad emotions and doubt and hate, etc. I think Alice is the only thing that keeps him sane and content. Also Bella in the end which is why he wants to be around her all the time.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

leahroselover wrote:I think Jasper's response to Bella's change was exactly like mine. I mean having Bella become a vamp and master it so easily screams cop-out
Cop out? What do you mean? SM took the easy road? I completely disagree. I think Bella's ease into vampire life was just the final proof that Bella was meant to be a vampire and be with Edward forever.
gossipgirl wrote:Wasn't it mentioned that it was a gift/talent that Bella was able to control herself? Like Edward's reading minds, Alice's seeing the future, etc?
They thought at first, that was her talent. Maybe to try and make Jasper feel a little better.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

I agree about disagreeing. (haha. :]) I think that Bella being good at vampire life was, like Bella said, proof that she was born to be a vampire, which I thought was pretty cool. :]

Btw, edward4everI love your sig. It's hilarious. :]
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I wasn't too surprised at Jaspers reaction to how easy it was for Bella. Edward did say it would be easier on him if Bella had a hard time & was more like a wild & crazy newborn. He saw probably thousands of newborn vampires & in his experience she should not be able to be in control of herself.

I felt like him at first I was surprised at how in control she was, she was able to runaway from the humans so she wouldn't hunt or kill one of them, and just how happy she was to be with Edward, and be able to see her baby w/out hurting her. But after thinking about it & I think even Bella made the observation that it shows that she was meant to be w/Edward and I think it was just awesome. I was so happy for Bella that she could be around her family (Edward, Renesmee, and Charlie) w/out the newborn craziness getting in the way. And plus Bella kicks butt as a vampire!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
TheLamb07
Wandering Through Town

Post by TheLamb07 »

I just think that Bella was able to skip the newborn stage because of the preparation. like they mentioned, no one else had chosen to change. Like Edward said, Jasper was tired of always being the weakest. i think he wanted Bella to have a hard time so that he wouldn't characterized as the weakest Cullen. *MIDNIGHT SUN SPOILER ALERT* --STOP READING IF YOU HAVENT READ IT---- when edward was having a hard time controlling himself when bella came to forks, it mentioned that jaspers was a little smug. All the time he has been with the Cullens everyone has been watching his every step, maybe he looked foward for bella to take the spotlight from him and he was upset that it didn't happen.
Vampire vs. Werewolf is the new Pirate vs. Ninja
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

^^ I agree with you. I think it was hard for Jasper when Bella ended up being an excellent newborn. She was able to stop herself in the middle of her first hunt! I'm sure Jasper was happy for her and Edward, but he must also have felt a little upset that it came so easy for her, while he had to struggle constantly.
I think her preparation had a lot to to with it. Edward's support and the rest of the Cullens. She knew that they would never let her stray. And I think it had a lot to with Nessie. She wanted to be with her newborn daughter. Bella was like she was born to be a vampire.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

I think Jasper took it fairly well. :D
ImageImageImage
ecullen100
Settled in Forks

Post by ecullen100 »

I don't know I think Jasper needed it to be tough for Bella because it was so tough for him.. Stephenie really explained it beautifully through Edward in the book during the chapter 'The Hunt' or something I believe. But he had such a hard time adapting and to have Bella take it all in so naturally was hard for him. I feel bad for poor Jasper.
Team Edward and Twi-Guy
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

I agree....I felt really bad for Jasper....I felt really bad for him because not only did Jasper see that Bella was able to overcome her thirst...but also he felt that she was struggling but was still able to go against her desires....THEN...i felt bad for him because of course the other Cullen's knew what was going on (in regards to his struggling with it) because of Edward and the fact it wasn't too hard to figure out...so he had to feel them feeling sorry for him and I don't believe that's what he wanted at the point....so yeah...I felt really bad for Jasper during those 4 or 5 chapters (however long it was)
ImageImageImageImage
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

I think Bella's change was like driving the message home to Jasper. He had watched his brother resist the most tempting blood in his existence. He may have tried to write it off as simply the fact that Edward has had decades of experience controlling his bloodlust. But I don't think for a second that he believed that 100 percent. I think Jasper had a seed of doubt planted in his mind when he realized just how much a vampire can control himself if he really wants to, as he watched Edward do it.

Then with Bella reacting so easily to the change, Jasper had to admit to himself that there is just simply a level of control that he is not enforcing on himself. Sure, Bella had preparation. But Jasper's also been trying to adjust to the vegetarian lifestyle for a while now. He should, by this point, have mustered up enough control in himself to resist the every day urges better than he does. And now he's faced with that truth. Now he has to expect more of himself as a full-grown vampire. It's good for him. He needed these bits of proof to push himself so that he can expect more of his own abilities. He's a great character, but his background has him marred with doubt and warring with himself. He has to use what he's seen in Edward and Bella to let go of his past enough to be a better vegetarian.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.