Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Re: Chapter 23 ~ Monster

Post by threethings »

I just read this chapter a few days ago, and I loved it. I didn't realize how much I really did.
I can no longer say that I didn't like Eclipse, it's so good, I can't believe I said that!

1. Edward states that his best night ever was the night Bella said yes to marriage. Bella never states specifically her best night ever. What night do you think she would choose?
Well, I know what it would be after that, but that's not the point.
From then, I would say, the night he first came back form Italy.

2. What do you think Edward said to Jacob to get him to come back to the tent?
Hmm. . . . "Bella's hurting, think of this as not me asking, but Bella asking for you to come back. Please."

3. Bella seems genuinely surprised by her own reaction to Jacob’s kiss. Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by your own reaction to someone’s kiss or even just a hand hold?
Not yet.

4. The title of the chapter is Monster. Why do you think Stephenie Meyer named it this?
Well, Bella realizes that she really is a monster for hurting Edward and Jacob, so I think that's why, of course.
I think it even says that.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. Edward states that his best night ever was the night Bella said yes to marriage. Bella never states specifically her best night ever. What night do you think she would choose?

Hmm... I can't exactly remember what nights she already named... did she mention the night coming back from Italy? That is def a candidate in my mind. It may have been the same night Edward named because, as cynical as she was about marriage she did say how much she wanted to melt when Edward actually proposed.

Well... it was probably a less polite version of "She needs you. I know you can't resist that."

3. Bella seems genuinely surprised by her own reaction to Jacob’s kiss. Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by your own reaction to someone’s kiss or even just a hand hold?

This is one of my favorite scenes in all of the books. Oh my, the hotness.

From my own experience... not really. Sorry... I've always been sort of prepared for that stomach flip. :)

4. The title of the chapter is Monster. Why do you think Stephenie Meyer named it this?

All three of the main characters do crappy stuff to each other in this chapter. Edward hurts Jacob, Jacob hurts Bella, Bella hurts Edward, Bella hurts Jacob. They are all monsters.

Image Image Image
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think it's a tie between the first night he stayed with her (that she knew about) and the night after Italy. Both were just so special nights for the two of them.

First of all, I have to say that Edward displayed so much maturity and courage when he went to bring Jacob back. He really proved himself as the bigger man. I think he said something like: "Bella is really hurting. She needs to see you. Please just go and see her. Let her explain. Do it for her". Something like that..And I have to say, I could never have done what Edward did in this situation.

No, can't say that I have. But I can understand that Bella was. She was keeping her feelings for Jacob so safely locked in, that she must have been blown away when she realized how she felt. I could not believe that she was kissing him back. I wanted to scream to her, to make her stop. Knowing how much it would hurt Edward. And I also knew that she would stay with Edward, and it was wrong to lead Jacob on like that. But then again, it was so un-fair of Jacob to pretend that he would go off and kill himself.

Because all of them had viewed themselves as monsters at some point. Bella felt she was a monster for hurting both Jacob and Edward. And it is also Edward and Jacob...really starting to fight for Bella. Knowing that someone will get hurt. But mostly it is Bella for what she is doing to both of them. Admitting that she loves Jacob, but knowing that she loves Edward more and have to break Jacob's heart.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

Her best night is probably a 3 way tie for the first night Edward stayed with her, the night Edward finally came back to Forks in New Moon, and the night he proposed (whether she wants to admit it or not). All of these nights were defining moments in their relationship.

I can't imagine that Jacob would have been open to listening to Edward apologize or reason with him. So I assume Edward probably reminded Jake that nothing was permanent yet and he hadn't lost. Jake wouldn't be able to give up on Bella if he was reminded that he still had a chance.

haha Yes.

This chapter is about Bella realizing what she is doing to Edward and Jacob. Bella feels like she is a monster, and since it is from Bella's point of view it seems like a fitting title.
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

1. Edward states that his best night ever was the night Bella said yes to marriage. Bella never states specifically her best night ever. What night do you think she would choose? Ahh I'd have to read them all again even though I just did. Hmm The night after the meadow and meeting his family maybe. That was the first night he stayed that she new he had right?? I think it was. OOHHH probably the ending of new moon after getting her way with the Cullen's and realizing Edward really does love her. Or maybe it was the night spent alone in he bed where they agreed to get married. Which ever it was the real # 1 is still to come.

2. What do you think Edward said to Jacob to get him to come back to the tent? I don't think he had to say much she was a wolf and in contact with Seth so he saw Bella standing there all hysterical.

3. Bella seems genuinely surprised by her own reaction to Jacob’s kiss. Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by your own reaction to someone’s kiss or even just a hand hold? No try to forget all kissed but the ones from my hubby. He's the only one that ever deserved them.

4. The title of the chapter is Monster. Why do you think Stephenie Meyer named it this? Because Bella sees herself as a monster for hurting Jacob and Edward the way she has.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I'm gonna say the night after the meadow in Twilight.

That Bella really doesn love him in her own way and doing this to her is like what he did to her.

Yep.

The newborns are monsters, Edward sees himself as a monster, and so does Jake.
**Kathryn**
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

The night after the meadow and he stays with her and she discovers he's with her in the morning. That would be mine if I were Bella.

I don't know, something about the needs for Bella. :?:

Yes. Me and my cousin used to be insepratable n besties, and all that. But we lost contact and she's about to go off to collage. Just last week, it was like we had never been apart and everything was fine and unackward. The hug at the airport surprised me, but it was a good surprise.

I have to agree with everyone on this. It's because Bella thinks herself a monster for doing this to the ones she loves.
Betting on Alice.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I'm not sure actually. I guess the night she agreed to marry Edward would be on her list, not because of the proposal part but because she got to sleep over at his house when no one else was there. I think also maybe the night they came back from Port Angeles in Twilight? Maybe the meadow scene? Although that wasn't really a night, but I think that might be my favourite! LOL. I love the fact that Edwards best night is when Bella agreed to marry him. I think that is incredibaly sweet. That chapter makes me go fuzzy at the knees!!

That Bella needed him, that she was hurting and only Jacob could help.

lol, yeah I suppose I have. But I hate this part...I think it's prolly my worst part in the whole saga!

Because this is how Bella see's herself here: a monster. She thinks this cos she has hurt both Jacob and Edward, and she doesn't seem to be making any of it better. So she compares herself to a monster.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Stix
Settled in Forks

Post by Stix »

I think the night with the bed. When Edward and Bella both forgot to be mad at each other.

I think he told Jacob to come back and talk to Bella. I wonder if he told him that he should hear her out and that if she chose Jacob, he'd let her go.

Yes definitely. My best friend kissed me. It was amazing, the whole world shifted and suddenly a lot of things fell into place. Like Bella, I hadn't realised that I had fallen in love with him until our lips met. It was a complete surprise because I had no idea that things had changed for him and he felt that way. We've been married for 8 years now.

Because Bella is caught up in the world of vampires and werewolves. Nearby there are 20 newborn vampires, 10 werewolves and 7 more civilised vampires but she sees herself as the true monster. She constantly hurts both Edward and Jacob no matter what she does. She's repulsed by herself.
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

...Probably that night as well. I'm not really sure...but since he kissed her so much...yeah.
He probably told him that Bella wanted to talk to him...and that he didn't know what she was going to choose...probably was honest with him and begged him, maybe asked them to do this and he would be in his debt, or said how messed up she was...or a combination of all of these.
Uhm...yes. It has surprised me. I can't believe how happy he makes me...I don't know how he does it...he's just...amazing. I feel all warm and fluttery...and smiley...I can't believe he's real. Or that he actually wants me. It's baffling.
Because of Bella thinking about how she's like Cathy, and how she's a monster for torturing the people she loves. She's so mad at herself for not noticing that she loved Jacob and how much she was hurting him and just ignoring it...she hates herself in this chapter.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa