Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Actor-based discussion regarding the Twilight Saga cast

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby roseaurora » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for the link shinyredvolvo!

I have actually not seen much of the early interviews so that was fantastic! I came to Twilight late... after I saw the movie, so I missed the build up to the movie's release.

It was nice to see Kristen in other interviews. She seems like a very serious person, but in the ones were the cast answers questions from the fans you could see her have some fun.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Image
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
User avatar
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: East Coast USA

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby dazzle_me-xx » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:17 am

:)
Here I was about to post some videos in reply to Jolynne's reply to my reply, but it looks like you guys have already done it :D .
I respect everyone's opinion, and this is not targeted at any specific person, so forgive me if I offend anyone, but it seems to me that Kristen critics pick on every minor detal and turn it into a really big thing. A lot of what she says is taken out of context. If you're the kind of person that beleives everything they read on perezhilton.com, then I feel sorry for you. Perez is known for not liking people for no reason, and his crazy obsession with Rob pretty much causes him to hate any female that goes near him.
Like I said, in all the interviews I've seen, she's so dedicated to the role and she is greatful to the fans.
Here a fan asks what its like being the girl everyone wants to be, and I think she has a great answer ( sorry if its crappy quality, and you have to wait a bot before she gets asked the question.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F96RxaQV ... re=related
If you watched all the MTV Twilight Tuesdays, you'll see hoe nice and funny she is.
I think the reason she comes off as rude, is because she doesn't like the fame aspect. She has answered all the questions like "What's it like to kiss Rob?", with enthusiasm. It's just that when you get asked that question a billion times, you start to get annoyed.
Image

Image
User avatar
dazzle_me-xx
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:16 am
Location: somewhere cold and rainy

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby Edward_Addict » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:03 am

ForJazz926 wrote:People say she was too twitchy sometimes. Once in Bio - when she is totally floored by Edward's voice and his gaze. Just like Bella. Another time when he suggested she go to Jacksonville - when she was almost in pain at the thought of being separated from him. Just like Bella. Check the scenes in the movie where she's twitchy or blinks a lot with the same scenes in the book. Bella often describes how she had difficulty breathing and speaking around Edward. That's what Kristen was doing.
I'm really not trying to argue here, but to me, the way Kristen did her twitching and blinking did not evoke book Bella to me at all. And since when did difficulty breathing and speaking result in constant blinking? I would have much rather seen Bella blush, rather than look like she's having a seizure.

Take for instance when she's telling Edward that she doesn't like any "cold, wet thing"... the way she acted did not seem Bella-like. Bella is quiet and composed, and though she claims to have problems with coherency around Edward, this is not evident to others. And this was clearly explained by Edward in Midnight Sun. Bella is very articulate, thinks things through, and gives interesting responses. She's not some mumbling teenager.

Another example in the movie of Kristen's inane twitching is when Bella asks Edward outside of class if he got contacts. When she's describing the change in color, I was almost in pain watching her twitch and blink like she got something in her eye. Go back and read THAT part of the book. Yes, the script was written slightly different, but that only accounts for so much. In the book Bella was more casual when she mentioned his change in eye color, not thrown into a frenzy about it.

And this is only one aspect of Kristen's performance that I disliked, but felt the need to address after reading that other post. Just had to get it off my chest.
Image Image
User avatar
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby DarkMuse » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:57 am

The Bad:
Ok..I'm not trying to rag on Kristen, because I honestly think she is a good actress and did a pretty good job as Bella, but the twitching/blinking/stuttering was a bit much for me. I could bare it for most of the movie, but the last hospital scene was too much for me. Now this is only my opinion, but it seemed like she suddenly forgot all her lines, but knew what her reaction should be to what Edward was saying so she just sputtered out whatever popped into her mind at the time. She was trying too hard to do the overwhelmed "oh shut up Edward, how dare you think that we could be apart" thing. I'm actually starting to wonder how many times they did that scene.

The (maybe?) Good:
Now about the whole blinking thing, I can only come to one conclusion. It had to be the contacts. As someone who wears them (just so I don't end up running into things because I'm blind as a bat), I have to say that I blink about 100 times more than I do with just wearing glasses. Especially when I'm under bright lights. Maybe it's just me who does that though. Who knows? I think I only ever heard her complain once about them when she was doing an interview with Rob. As we all know, Rob is a whiney baby when it comes to the contacts. :lol: So like I said, it could have just been them.

More Bad:
And there are too many of us out there who put ourselves in the role of Bella while reading the books for ANYONE to do the part justice. The ones who don't see themselves as Bella have her built up in their mind in a way that no one would be able to be her either. I'm pretty sure no matter who they would have gotten to play her, we would all be picking that girl apart too. Because (some) girls are spiteful that way.

The (sometimes) Good:
Some people just plain don't like Kristen, and that's fine. I know 100% without a doubt that the only reason I have for not liking her is because of jealousy. I admit it, I'm jealous of her. She gets to have the job she wants and she loves doing it. She gets to work with other talented people. She gets to work with (and make out with, at least in the movie) Rob for sobbing out loud. Hell yeah I'm jealous. She's talented. Others may not see her as being talented, but whatever. That's cool. Sure she does and says things that annoy the hell out of me to no end, but so do some of the people I love dearly.

I think I'm done critiquing her to death. I shall step off my Oprah box now. Lol. I am wholeheartedly sorry if nothing I said made sense. It is almost 6a.m. and I'm still at work and still tired to no end. I shouldn't even be on here right now. Haha.

Wow. I REALLY shouldn't be on here. I totally just posted this in the Rob thread. Hahahaha. Mandy completely threw me off since she was the last to post in both his and Kristen's. :lol: Oh Lord. Someone slap me! Lol. Ok I be quiet now. *runs back to the Rob thread where it's safe*
Rob's Halfway House Resident » Cullenist » HHBS Member » Monkey Junkie
Image
╰☆╮ Nikki is the TomStu to my Rob ╰☆╮
User avatar
DarkMuse
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:24 am
Location: In 'The Corner' of Rob's Halfway House mumbling about cookies and unicorns.

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby ForJazz926 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 am

Haha! DarkMuse - I totally got everything you said, and I enjoyed your post. I didn't much like the hospital scene, either. It started out really good, with the confused look and the two "no's" but I think she kept going with the stuttering a little too long. But then again, that part in the book annoyed me too - the neediness. I had much more patience for the book scene the second time I read Twilight - after reading the other three books...but the part in the movie did bug me. I am just more willing to let it go than others, I suppose - because for the most part, I thought she did really well, and I appreciated the passion she had for the work and the character. I think she's awesome.

And AMEN to the part about contacts. People probably think that I have tourette's or something because of how often I blink. And you're right - she was not a complainer. Most people who haven't studied her in real life probably didn't even realize she was wearing them, because she just kind of took it in stride and had other things on her mind.

I also agree that girls in general are just picking the crap out of her. "But she didn't do it the way I do it when I dream about being Bella!!" ;) It's natural - girls are just mean to each other when they are jealous, unfortunately. Catty beyotches. lol
Image

Image Image
User avatar
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Blue Room

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby roseaurora » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:47 pm

I want to throw out there a couple of things that I seems to disagree with a lot of you on...

1. I don't think you can really criticize Kristen for the stuttering and blinking... apparently the director was fine with it too... and she was possibly told to do it. It is very difficult to portray most of Bella's book reactions to Edward. Who here can blush on command? And how to do show someone's heart rate increasing? Its just like people who don't like the way Rob portrayed smelling Bella the first time, when he covered his mouth and nose. If he had just stopped breathing... it wouldn't have shown up on screen at all...

2.... which ties into the fact that much of what people don't like about Kristen's portrayal Bella has much more to do with the directing than it does with her. Her job is to listen to her director and give her what she wants for her vision of the movie.

3. I LOVED the hospital scene, I think it is my favorite Kristen as Bella scene in the movie! (and it carried over to the prom scene so well... which is my second favorite Kristen as Bell scene... plus it helped that these scene seemed much less choppy then the rest of the movie, at least to me.) I think she did a fantastic job of showing how much she needs Edward now and sets up her complete breakdown in NM very well! The only thing that bugged me is that it seems out of the blue because, in my opinion, their relationship was so rushed in the movie that its hard to believe she loves him that much already, especially since this is the first time we really see it.

4. I just want to throw out there that I am not jealous of Kristen for getting play Bella and for getting to make out with Rob. I have no desire to be an actor, and I have no talent for it either, best to leave it with the pros, haha. And I would never want to be Bella and I think people who do are nuts! :P ;) Too much pain and agony for my tastes... and Edward would get on my nerves :lol: I would never want to be in a relationship were I am unable to function without my partner.. that sounds like hell to me...
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Image
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
User avatar
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: East Coast USA

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby ForJazz926 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:07 pm

roseaurora wrote:Who here can blush on command? And how to do show someone's heart rate increasing? Its just like people who don't like the way Rob portrayed smelling Bella the first time, when he covered his mouth and nose. If he had just stopped breathing... it wouldn't have shown up on screen at all...


I completely agree with you here - this is a very good point. If Rob would have just gone really stiff and stared like he hated her, it might look to viewers like he was trying to fart or something. It needed to be clear that he had caught her scent. And BELLA needed to be clear that it was her scent. It was kind of funny when she smelled her hair to check. And you're right - what else was Kristen to do in order to show that she was "dazzled?" I thought the way she spoke in the restaurant "then don't..." was wonderful - she really looked like she was struggling to hold it together.

RE: the hospital scene - I think you're right here, as well - that their relationship was so rushed, so it seemed out of the blue. Suddenly she seems annoyingly needy, and you don't really understand the depth of their relationship yet - not just from watching the movie. But you're right - it needed to set up New Moon. I don't see how else they could have done this - other than putting in more "inseperable Edward and Bella" scenes to make us believe it.
Image

Image Image
User avatar
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Blue Room

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby Heart_in_Hand » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:16 pm

slightlyobsessed wrote:Forgive me for saying so, Heart_In_Hand, but it seems as though it is you who are seeking something worth bickering about. In fact, I found your last post to be somewhat bitter and snide. Your sarcasm was not lost on me, but might I say that I think you judge most of us and our comments here much too harshly.


Yeah, you're right. After going back and reading it again I guess it does come off that way. I just get annoyed when I'm trying to get a point across, and either nobody gets it or they just don't acknowledge it. I guess you could say I'm as human as anyone else, and can be a bit hypocritical at times. It's a bit confussing because I feel like we should not care so much about these actors and actresses, yet I feel compelled to protect them when I see them getting smeared across the papers and internet by people who don't even try to understand what or who they are. Since I was a little girl I always dreamed of being famous, but as I got older and saw what these people have to go through, I feel like it is more trouble than it is worth. I have a lot of respect for Kristen and the other performers who are brave and strong enough to follow their dreams despite the less than fair things that they are put though. Maybe there are some performers that are really bad people, but who are we to judge them really? Are we that perfect?

Again, I am sorry. I wasn't so much defending Kristen as really just trying to point out that if everyone just focused on discovering who they are and making themselves the best person they can be, maybe this world would be a better place to be. We are all flawed, and we all have our own problems to deal with. I believe we should focus on doing that and leaving, not just famous people, but other people in general to their own self-discovery.

Getting a bit too deep here for just a Twilight fan board. My apologies.

slightlyobsessed wrote:I also don't profess to know Bella or Edward, but is it okay for me to talk about them?


I get your point, but I see it a little differently. They aren't real people with real feelings. As much as we may wish they are.
Image
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
User avatar
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:18 pm
Location: The cottage

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby ForJazz926 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Heart_In_Hand - your honesty is refreshing, and I think it was very cool of you to step back and take another look. And I know exactly how you feel - it's terrible how judgemental people become over total strangers. I feel like they should be left alone. Both from the people who love them to the point of worship and stalking, and from the people who seem to think they are better than them. And while they did make a conscious decision to live that life, it still doesn't make it right the way they are treated at times.
Image

Image Image
User avatar
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Blue Room

Re: Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

Postby Heart_in_Hand » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:43 pm

ForJazz926 wrote:Heart_In_Hand - your honesty is refreshing, and I think it was very cool of you to step back and take another look. And I know exactly how you feel - it's terrible how judgmental people become over total strangers. I feel like they should be left alone. Both from the people who love them to the point of worship and stalking, and from the people who seem to think they are better than them. And while they did make a conscious decision to live that life, it still doesn't make it right the way they are treated at times.


Exactly! They are human too!

The thing that I think makes it worse for Kristen was that I really don't think she wanted to be famous per se. I think she just wanted to follow her dream of acting, even just in small roles that meant a lot to her. I heard her say in an interview once that if she knew how big Twilight would be, she might not have taken the role. Like I said though, I don't know her, so I can't say for sure. But I really believe most people do just want to have at least a little bit of privacy. Even the more happily public figures would probably enjoy a little alone time, out of the spotlight. At least I know I would!
Image
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
User avatar
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:18 pm
Location: The cottage

PreviousNext

Return to The Cast List

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron