Heavy Metal Music

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Heavy Metal Music

Post by pharmer4 »

Ahhh, a thread about the topic my life follows.

If anyone is interested, click on the link under my avatar to see my site - anyone who's talented or opinionated enough to review any metal, then prove it with some articles for me.

I personally listen to a lot of metal, a lot of other styles too, but 90% metal.

If anyone is interested, see my last.fm page - http://www.last.fm/user/pharmer4/

At this point, I am listening to Locus Mortis, from Italy.

My favourite thing is discovering new bands, although I could care less if they are popular or not - the opinions of others matters very little to me - hence I can listen to bands that some people think are "scene" or "garbage" or a "waste of time", and still enjoy them. I think I might be lucky that way, as there are a lot of bands worth hearing that people ignore because of other people's opinions.

Aha, while typing this, "Annubis" by Septicflesh has come on my pod. These Greek dudes sure know how to make some nice death metal!

One thing I find a burden with listening to metal is the constant crap metal fans give to each other and bands that are not "theirs", which just drives me insane. I hate the superiority complex people seem to have, and the bad attitudes people get.

I had one writer for my site that I ditched, because she kept saying how the bands we cover are not "extreme" enough, since we include rock as well as metal.

I also dislike when people get obnoxious. A writer I had from New York had to get sacked quick smart because he started hassling bands, stalking them, contacting them on myspace to give them shoot (rather than in person - at least that I can respect, because you'll have to back yourself up).

Camber, you'll be displeased to know the main band this guy was stalking was TBDM. @$$hole had them wanting to remove any articles about them from my site before I sacked him.

Arr, now "The Watchers (Between The Ages)" by Horologium is on. Very interesting this song, I recomend it to anyone who likes black or progressive - it fits in neither, but it is similar.

Anyway, if anyone likes to have good conversations about metal, I'm your man. I like to think I have a nice broad knowledge of metal history and current metal bands, and I am lucky enough to get quite a few CDs each week, often including nice gems from unknown bands, and sometimes crap from well-known bands, and vice versa. And check my site, you may find a new place you'd like to hand out and be a part of.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
CamberXite
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by CamberXite »

pharmer4 wrote:Ahhh, a thread about the topic my life follows.

If anyone is interested, click on the link under my avatar to see my site - anyone who's talented or opinionated enough to review any metal, then prove it with some articles for me.

I personally listen to a lot of metal, a lot of other styles too, but 90% metal.

At this point, I am listening to Locus Mortis, from Italy.

My favourite thing is discovering new bands, although I could care less if they are popular or not - the opinions of others matters very little to me - hence I can listen to bands that some people think are "scene" or "garbage" or a "waste of time", and still enjoy them. I think I might be lucky that way, as there are a lot of bands worth hearing that people ignore because of other people's opinions.

Aha, while typing this, "Annubis" by Septicflesh has come on my pod. These Greek dudes sure know how to make some nice death metal!

One thing I find a burden with listening to metal is the constant crap metal fans give to each other and bands that are not "theirs", which just drives me insane. I hate the superiority complex people seem to have, and the bad attitudes people get.

I had one writer for my site that I ditched, because she kept saying how the bands we cover are not "extreme" enough, since we include rock as well as metal.

I also dislike when people get obnoxious. A writer I had from New York had to get sacked quick smart because he started hassling bands, stalking them, contacting them on myspace to give them shoot (rather than in person - at least that I can respect, because you'll have to back yourself up).

Camber, you'll be displeased to know the main band this guy was stalking was TBDM. @$$hole had them wanting to remove any articles about them from my site before I sacked him.

Arr, now "The Watchers (Between The Ages)" by Horologium is on. Very interesting this song, I recomend it to anyone who likes black or progressive - it fits in neither, but it is similar.

Anyway, if anyone likes to have good conversations about metal, I'm your man. I like to think I have a nice broad knowledge of metal history and current metal bands, and I am lucky enough to get quite a few CDs each week, often including nice gems from unknown bands, and sometimes crap from well-known bands, and vice versa. And check my site, you may find a new place you'd like to hand out and be a part of.
I guess I'm opinionated, but I'm shiiit at writing reviews haha.

Discovering new bands is always fun, especially if they know how to rock.
As a promoter, I get to meet a lot of bands, but the ONE thing I cannot stand is bands that have egos the size of hot-air balloons.
F*CK BANDS WITH EGOS who are too good for their friends/fans/whatever.

Speaking of discovering new bands, I have a list you guys should totally check out!

SUMERIAN RECORDS PROGRESSIVE DEATH METAL FROM CHICAGO:
VEIL OF MAYA
http://www.myspace.com/veilofmaya

SUMERIAN RECORDS PROGRESSIVE METALCORE FROM MINNEAPOLIS:
AFTER THE BURIAL
http://www.myspace.com/aftertheburial

PROGRESSIVE METALCORE FROM SCARBOROUGH:
SPEAK OF THE DEVIL
http://www.myspace.com/speakofthedevilmusic

DEATH METAL/HARDCORE FROM TORONTO:
CHARITYS
http://www.myspace.com/charitysband

PROGRESSIVE METAL FROM NEWMARKET:
THE MEMPHIS WEST
http://www.myspace.com/thememphiswest

PROGRESSIVE METAL/HARDCORE FROM MARKHAM:
ON BURNING SHORES
myspace.com/onburningshores

Charitys, The Memphis West and On Burning Shores are my friends' bands' and they're tearing it up tonight with VEIL OFMAYAAAA and AFTER THE FREAKIN' BURIAL!

SOOOO bloody stoked, words can't even describe!

pharmer4 wrote:Camber, you'll be displeased to know the main band this guy was stalking was TBDM. @$$hole had them wanting to remove any articles about them from my site before I sacked him.
Honestly, that's retarded.
TBDM are such chill dudes, they are freakin' human beings and they should be treated so.

That schmuck working for you was obviously an idiot.

Pee ess ; you seem awesome.
We should talk sometime!
"Burned Beyond Recognition Is What You’ll Be When I’m Finished With You"
The tiger in the foreground has it’s teeth sunk in her throat Image
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

Sure thing, that's what the board is for.

I understand what you say about bands with egos, and I'll go one step further and say I get really annoyed with fans who think they are better than other fans. One thing I hate about the metal "scene" are the fans who have more negative things to say about bands they don't like, than they do good things about bands they do like.

It's interesting that you are a promoter - how old are you, btw? I've organised a few gigs myself in my hometown, wich only has 8000 people (a very small percentage of which are metal fans). It's very hard anyway in Australia, because not many people are willing to put money towards that.

When you consider that "fans" don't pay bands their due by illegally downloading their music, and then can't be bothered rocking up to their shows, it makes you wonder how a lot of bands don't just lose heart and stop - it's only their passion and determination that keeps them going.

Anyway, each post I make in this thread I'll post a band I believe is worth checking out. The first will be a band that I've made friends with (rather than being friends of mine who then formed a band)

www.myspace.com/blacklikevengeance - if you like Arch Enemy, these guys will tear your face off, because Sherri, the singer, can sing as well as producing the gutteral death. Melodic Death Metal at it's pinnacle.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
CamberXite

Post by CamberXite »

pharmer4 wrote:Sure thing, that's what the board is for.

I understand what you say about bands with egos, and I'll go one step further and say I get really annoyed with fans who think they are better than other fans. One thing I hate about the metal "scene" are the fans who have more negative things to say about bands they don't like, than they do good things about bands they do like.

It's interesting that you are a promoter - how old are you, btw? I've organised a few gigs myself in my hometown, wich only has 8000 people (a very small percentage of which are metal fans). It's very hard anyway in Australia, because not many people are willing to put money towards that.

When you consider that "fans" don't pay bands their due by illegally downloading their music, and then can't be bothered rocking up to their shows, it makes you wonder how a lot of bands don't just lose heart and stop - it's only their passion and determination that keeps them going.

Anyway, each post I make in this thread I'll post a band I believe is worth checking out. The first will be a band that I've made friends with (rather than being friends of mine who then formed a band)

http://www.myspace.com/blacklikevengeance - if you like Arch Enemy, these guys will tear your face off, because Sherri, the singer, can sing as well as producing the gutteral death. Melodic Death Metal at it's pinnacle.
I must admit, If I don't like the band, then I don't like them..
I'll probably state why I don't like them as well.

Believe it or not, I'm 17.
My friend owns his own little concert venue thingy.
It's basically a house, but it's been converted into a concert venue.
And that's where I host most of my shows.
Being a promoter is not easy at all, planning a show is loads of work, and I have to deal with those bands that are just in it for the money, blah blah.

But I'm lucky that I have so many friends in so many bands, it's great to just get everyone together, and just have everyone come over, and just have a good time.
I'm really into this music scene, and I think this is what I want to do when I leave school next year.

About the illegal downloading ; everyone does it.
I'm not going to deny it, because I know loads of people who do it, and everyone's done it at some point.
I don't support it at all, if you wanna listen to the music, you should buy the CD!

Ah, I've heard of Black Like Vengeance before.
They are good! I was really impressed with the vocals.
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

sounds like a nice set up.

I organise my gigs at the local RSL Club, which is like a country club I suppose.

BLV are cool guys (and girl, but she's one of the guys).

You do know one person who has never done illegal downloading, which is me.

Of course I have downloaded lots of songs, some of them free, but the only free ones have come directly from the bands.

I also get a large amount of bands' CDs for free to review on the site too, but they are getting promo out of it, so that's a nice exchange.

Man, it's frustrating using a board where my normal vocabulary is truncated!!!

Another band to check out - Double Dragon - www.myspace.com/doubledragonheavymetal

again, buddies.

their lead singer is Fijian, and he was very very badly burned in a house fire a few years ago. Their EP before their last album, Scars Of Fire, is about that (surprise, given the name . . . .)

CamberXite

Post by CamberXite »

pharmer4 wrote:sounds like a nice set up.

I organise my gigs at the local RSL Club, which is like a country club I suppose.

BLV are cool guys (and girl, but she's one of the guys).

You do know one person who has never done illegal downloading, which is me.

Of course I have downloaded lots of songs, some of them free, but the only free ones have come directly from the bands.

I also get a large amount of bands' CDs for free to review on the site too, but they are getting promo out of it, so that's a nice exchange.

Man, it's frustrating using a board where my normal vocabulary is truncated!!!

Another band to check out - Double Dragon - http://www.myspace.com/doubledragonheavymetal

again, buddies.

their lead singer is Fijian, and he was very very badly burned in a house fire a few years ago. Their EP before their last album, Scars Of Fire, is about that (surprise, given the name . . . .)

Well thats lucky.
Haha, I wish I got free CD's.

Double Dragon - I like them, I have nothing bad to say about them at all, haha.
Great music.

Do you go out to shows often, or no?

Aaah, I'm getting my first band related tattoo soon!

this ; Image

I think its going to look awesome.
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

Chimaira, nice . . . . plus the C has some connection to you anyway.

That's gonna look pretty effective too - geometic shapes work very well, which is why "tribals" are so popular (I don't have tribals though).

Next band for you to check out:

Frankenbok - http://www.frankenbok.com - their last album (A Murder Of Songs) is better than the EP they released just recently, but it is still a good EP.

CamberXite

Post by CamberXite »

pharmer4 wrote:Chimaira, nice . . . . plus the C has some connection to you anyway.

That's gonna look pretty effective too - geometic shapes work very well, which is why "tribals" are so popular (I don't have tribals though).

Next band for you to check out:

Frankenbok - http://www.frankenbok.com - their last album (A Murder Of Songs) is better than the EP they released just recently, but it is still a good EP.

Yep, Chimaira is one of the first heavy bands I listened to.

So, I picked up the new Lamb of God CD this week, and I must say, I was f*cking blown away.
AMAZING album.

Grace and Contractor are my favorite songs <3

Can't wait to see them with Bodom in April !
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

Yar, I was lucky enough to receive a review of Wrath befor it was released. I've not had much of a chance to listen to it myself yet, just because there is so much else to do.

One problem with running a website about metal, is that listening to metal can become work, so you got to make sure it doesn't become a burden.

Next band to post - this one is from the US, and they are a "character" band, in that the members of the band are all Orcs, and they are managed by a goblin. Of course, they play death metal.

Think of it like Lordi or the other "alien" band from the same city as Lamb of God (Sorry, got a headache from sitting in a tattoo chair all day on a funny angle - won't remember their name until later).

http://www.myspace.com/abandoforcs

CamberXite

Post by CamberXite »

pharmer4 wrote:Yar, I was lucky enough to receive a review of Wrath befor it was released. I've not had much of a chance to listen to it myself yet, just because there is so much else to do.

One problem with running a website about metal, is that listening to metal can become work, so you got to make sure it doesn't become a burden.

Next band to post - this one is from the US, and they are a "character" band, in that the members of the band are all Orcs, and they are managed by a goblin. Of course, they play death metal.

Think of it like Lordi or the other "alien" band from the same city as Lamb of God (Sorry, got a headache from sitting in a tattoo chair all day on a funny angle - won't remember their name until later).

http://www.myspace.com/abandoforcs

Ah, I know what you mean.
About the burden thing.

Last night I had to open up for the bands by saying their introduction and how awesome they are.
Some of the bands didn't even deserve that credit.
They were HORRIBLE.
I don't know what Johnny was thinking..

But anyways, it was a good night anyways.
Drove to Sudbury and had a few beers with some friends and cought the train back haha.

Oh, I like that band!
They're good.

Pee esss ; did you get another tattoo?