Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
footloose
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Declaration

Post by footloose »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
I don't know what the implications would be but sure it will change the whole scenario.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
Knowing Edward and his great reluctance to change her into a vampire...maybe not.

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to?
I guess she becomes allergic to it after her parents' divorce. Which is stupid really, since marriage is just a ceremony to confirm what she and Edward already have (eternal commitment)

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
Since it's from Bella's POV, i'd say Bella keeps making the distinction because she wants to deny that she loves Jacob as a human.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?

Wow...I must've missed that part. I guess i'm shocked!
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
She knows she's causing him pain but they still want to be friends. Jacob had said that he was going to try until her heart stopped beating so this would have come sooner or later anyway even if Edward had mentioned anything.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
I think deep down he does want to be the one to change her but he wants to make sure that he won't kill her in the process.

I guess mainly her mother.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
I think it was a lot of the fact that she wanted to show in a very non-obvious way that Bella loves him. Also the transformation that he made and the changes that he went through.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
When I read this I wasn't really surprised that she felt that way. She only wants the best for him and whatever would make him better off in the fight.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
xbellaxedwardx4evax
Settled in Forks

Post by xbellaxedwardx4evax »

Yes, if he did she would have been a bit more cautious because she would know what was coming, or she could tell Jacob how she feels and not get his hopes too high.

yes, i think he has the same idea about them being forever connected in that way, more meaningfull.

her mother mostly, she doesn't want to make the same mistake as her and get married so young and so quick, also for her age and the time she lives in it seems a bit crazy getting married to your boyfriend straight out of high school, lol :D

i don't really know, maybe to show how hard it would be for Bella to leave Jacob because on one side he is aggrivating and says his mind,not caring what Bella thinks, and on the other side -when he wants to- he is the caring, understanding friend she had before she found out he was a werewolf.

Not that much, it just proves her love and desire for edward even more.(nawwww) :D
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening? I doubt she could have prevented it if she had gone, but she definitely would have been better prepared.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it? Yes. Already read BD.

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to? Mostly her mother, and I think growing up in a society where to some marriage is absolutely pointless, that to some it's just a messy divorce. And she doesn't think that there is any commitment that she hasn't already given Edward.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book? Because that's how teen guys are. :lol: One minute they're nice and funny and then the next their jerks (sorry guys, for the most part it's true).

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns? For a fleeting moment no, we all have crazy thoughts that we would never actually seriously consider.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

Bella already knew that Jacob wanted more than friendship so that might not had made much difference. It may however kept the kiss from happening. Maybe...

Well he didn't want her to change at all.

what her mom told her. Which she misunderstood because Renee wasn't talking about her.

Maybe it was because there are 2 sides to Jacob. The human/boy side that Bella loved to hang out with. He was nicer and more pleasant to be around. Then the wolf side which made him more aggressive and he wasn't afraid to push for what he wanted from Bella.

5. Is it shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
Well I couldn't think of him doing that but at the time she wasn't thinking it through because she does backtrack. But she still can't deny they way she was thinking.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

Probably not. Bella already knew that Jacob was in love with her, anything else Edward told her would just have been confirmation, not new information.

I think he does. Ultimately, he knows he as no choice, if he won't do it Carlisle would. Aside from his fear that he might loose control and kill her instead, he is territorial, so he'd want to "mark" her that way.

Her youth, most likely, and the fact that her parents marriage failed terribly.

I did not think SM had any profound reasons for pointing this out. People are people, there are people whose personalities clash, some get along, most friends don't love everything about each other. There are certain aspects they like, and they ignore the negative stuff. With best friends, you gotta take the good with the bad.

No, when it comes to Edward, there is nothing Bella would do or think or feel. Right and wrong get blurred for her to make sure he is safe.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I think Bella already knew the pain she was causing Jacob. She is constantly battling with his feelings for her, and her need to be around him. I think Jacob's will is strong, and he would have kissed her, regardless. Even if she would have flat out told him, "I love Edward, and I can't hurt you anymore," I still think he would have kissed her. I think no matter what, he relies more on emotional atmosphere and feelings than words. Even when Bella talks to him, he doesn't believe she is being true to her feelings.

I think ultimately, Edward will always do whatever makes Bella happy. He has already accepted the fact that although he brings good and bad things into their relationship, she wants him around and therefore he will stay. I think deep down, even though he doesn't want her to be changed, he wants to be a part of her in as many ways as possible. His only fear is hurting her.

The stereotype that goes along with any teenage sweethearts getting married right out of high school. I'd think the same thing. "It will never last - they should see more of the world first and experience people beyond each other." She's worried what people will think, especially her parents. She knows they won't be able to understand her relationship with Edward, and she won't be able to explain it to them.

Perhaps that everyone is complex, and the characters in these books are often torn between two difficult alternatives. Maybe to also illustrate the divided path. Bella's two "destinies" walk side by side through this series with her, and at any time, her decisions may dictate which path she chooses. Jacob is the path she probably would have taken if Edward wasn't around. But part of Jacob is perfect for Bella. The other part of Jacob is, by nature, her future enemy. Bella seems to keep this in the back of her mind - rebelling against the idea that Jacob could ever be behind enemy lines.

It's shocking because it's supposed to be shocking. Bella is even shocked. But it's completely understandable. At that moment she's thinking about HER family, and the people SHE loves. In an intense moment like that, she's wanting to find every advantage she can. It's a moment where reason is out the window, and instincts have kicked in - even for her, because more than anything else, she wants him to survive. Even at the expense of someone else. If she had time to reason and were still faced with the choice between the life of Edward and the life of a stranger, she'd make the same decision.

Image Image
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening? I would think so at least a little. But I don't know if it would've prevented the kiss because Jacob was determined and very pushy.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?Yes and No. Yes because that's what Bella wants, but no because he thinks it's selfish.

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to? Her parents marriage. And then in this day in age it's not common to get married so young.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book? I'm not sure why, but I agree w/Bella he makes me so mad sometimes too!

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns? A little. But w/how much she worries and wants to make sure her family is safe it makes some sense.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Knowing Jacob, he would've still made it happen.

He would do it because she wants him to do it. He would want to, but the issue over his control and he might end up killing her. I dunno.

Her parents got married young, and it didn't turn out well.

That Bella isn't completely in love with him. Shes in love with part of him.

Yes. Her whole outlook on the newborn vamp fight is just ridiculous. She needs to trust them because they can beat them. She's worried, fair enough, but she needs to have more trust in the Cullens.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

No, I don't think so. I think at this point Bella understands that staying apart from Jake causes them both even more pain.

Hmm... I don't know. Edward continuously says that he doesn't want her to be changed. But at the same time, he loves to give her what she wants. BUT... he may be worried about his degree of control.

She grew up with her parents marriage as a poor example. She is already certain that she and Edward will be together forever, so she wonders why she needs an old fashioned ritual to solidify it.

I think it's to emphasize the massive impact becoming a werewolf has had on Jacob, and therefore on his relationship w/Bella. Becoming a werewolf made him hate the vampires... which made him hate Edward EVEN more than he did when he just hated Edward for leaving Bella.

Yes... and no. I think the most shocking thing is that Bella would ask/want Edward to "go off his diet" so to speak. I don't think it's shocking that she wants to go to any extent to beat the newborns.

Image Image Image