General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Re: The Honeymoon

Post by mlola619 »

Nikkinik wrote:I'm 16 and I kind of thought she did a good job with the whole sex thing. I mean, I was satisfied with what she gave us. I can't really imagine how she would go about writing anymore. Maybe it's just because I'm young. :D But I was just surprised when people were mad about that.

agreed. And to be honest i'd feel pretty awkward reading the...*ahem* down-n-dirty nitty gritty stuff haha. I really enjoy reading thanks to these books, and i think if she would've gone into detail it would've ruined it for alot of people (then again, NOT going into detail ruined it for alot of people anyway). In my opinion i think she did it tastefully- in a way that was somewhat pleasing to all the different age groups
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
tearsoftopaz
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by tearsoftopaz »

mlola619 wrote: agreed. And to be honest i'd feel pretty awkward reading the...*ahem* down-n-dirty nitty gritty stuff haha. I really enjoy reading thanks to these books, and i think if she would've gone into detail it would've ruined it for alot of people (then again, NOT going into detail ruined it for alot of people anyway). In my opinion i think she did it tastefully- in a way that was somewhat pleasing to all the different age groups
Same here! I think it would have made me feel a little awkward reading about the sex if she didn't explain it how she did. It would kind of be like watching them do it, which is really kind of weird hahah. I love romance and all, but I don't like the kind of books that pick out every detail of it and stuff. I love the way Steph wrote it, because it gave just the right amount of information to satisfy me. And I think the sex AFTER the whole pregnancy and becoming a vampire thing was a lot better to deal with, how she explained they were perfect for each other and everything, it just seemed more right or something.

"Forever and forever and forever..."
ziggy
Settled in Forks

Post by ziggy »

G-Faerie08 wrote:
em's_twilight wrote:Why oh god why does Breaking Dawn have to be a YA book?! :o And even so... she could have given a little more description ;) I mean i have read alot more "graphic" YA books then this :(

Depressing

<3
Em

I kind of agree. I was really jonesing for some more with Bella and Edward..but I also think SM did a very good job keeping it PG-13 as it was. From the very beginning, Edward and Bella's relationship was very new and innocent. I think by putting in more description than needed would have degraded the characters a little bit. The intimacy and tenderness of the situation almost makes you feel like you shouldn't keep reading because them making love was a very personal thing that should be between just the two of them.

But because you can't really skip that part, of course you HAVE to read it!!!
:)
You put it so perfectly.

At first, I really thought to myself, "geez, we got more juicy details that one night (in Eclipse) where Edward & Bella were on Edward's bed, so why did SM skimp on it in Breaking Dawn?" But the more I re-read the book, the more I realized that what SM wrote about their first sexual encounter was just right. It was tasteful and leaves everything up to the imagination of the reader. *let's out long dreamy sigh*
once bitten
Settled in Forks

Post by once bitten »

I think SM did a pretty good job. I'm 14 and i thought she kept it clean, but was a tad bit discouraged at her lack of description just a little. In Eclipse, her descriptions we're the perfect 'aww' and squeeze-your-toes-action and in BD, it just was a bit more reserved. I've read soo many YA books that kinda..should have been in the Adult section (not that I'm complaining, other than that they were a good read), but c'mon just a lil more juicy details would have been splendid. :)
This is no place that should be seen
By humanity’s eyes
Too obscene
Blood dipped fangs
And high keening shrieks
This is nighttime’s sonata
And we are the freaks
catie
Settled in Forks

Post by catie »

I think she got a good balance between what would be appropriate for a very young audience, and what a more mature audience wanted to know. I think by leaving a lot up to the imagination she makes sure that noone reads anything into they can't handle. I think what information she gives us shows us that they had a really good time - I particularly like the fact that Edward destroyed the pillows :D

I would agree that there are a lot of YA books that give more graphic descriptions of people making love, but I think that SM has her own way of writing, and that if she'd gone into the gory details, it would have felt wrong.

I hope they get a second honeymoon at some point, where they don't have to rush home when they're just starting to enjoy themselves.
x
The common or garden Catie. Often found on the HisGoldenEyes forums. Strange obsession with Twilight and her own superiority.
chrissaay
Settled in Forks

Post by chrissaay »

to be honest, i was expecting a little bit more with the sex scene. but in the end im pretty glad SM didn't go into too much details. like someone said earlier, that moment was a personal one between edward and bella, and us readers got enough out of it to know what was going on and to appreciate it.
bethrose
Settled in Forks

Post by bethrose »

G-Faerie08 wrote:
Alice's Grandma wrote: Edward's reaction after the first night they made love - the bruises. It was so painful. Could you imagine, he sat there watching them slowly appear all through the night as she lay asleep. What a mixture of conflicting emotions he must have felt.
When I read it, I actually took it as a humorous kind of thing..But your take on Edward's emotions puts a whole new perspective on the subject for me. I could understand how he felt to a certain extent, but I didn't real delve in to the other feelings he could have or what he did once Bella went to sleep and he lay there watching her the rest of the night.

i have to ask, where in the heck did you get that picture? i love it!!
hawkeye12
Settled in Forks

Post by hawkeye12 »

I think she did a good job describing what happened between Bella and Edward. It got the idea across, but wasn't so ridiculously explicit. There are other YA books that are more descriptive, but in my mind it isn't really necessary. I mean my mom has 6th grade students that are in love with these books, and I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that those 11 and 12 year olds were reading about various thrusts and moans. I myself and other older readers could probably have handled something more descriptive, but we have to face the fact that there are younger readers enjoying the series along with us!!
LaTuaCantante
Settled in Forks

Post by LaTuaCantante »

"em's_twilight" I totally agree!! While I understand why SM had to tone down the scenes for all the YA readers, why oh WHY must it be a YA book! Of course SM did what she had to do, which was tastefully skim over the most intimate parts. But I would have LOVED more detail, somewhat like the kissing scenes in Eclipse. The more detailed descriptions, while not being graphic. I wish she would write an Adult version!
The_Lizzie
Wandering Through Town

Post by The_Lizzie »

We all knew back in VMT 6 or 7 that she wasn't going to write anything detailed. None of the "Then he kissed me here and there and then we did this and that"

I have to congratulate Steph on a job well done. I'm 19 and so i know what's supposed to be going on after the chapter cuts off, but my little 10 year old sister that was reading right behind me didn't, and I'm glad.

I think that she left enough space for us that know whats going on to picture it and for those that don't to picture oh i don't know, a pillow fight. ("Lizzie, why are there feathers everywhere? Why'd he bite those pillows?" She asked me. "They had a pillow fight" I told her.)

Leaving that out.... Let me just say that i have a new affinity for eggs
~o~o~o~ VMT Queen of Boldness & Healthy Sexuality Peer Educator~o~o~o~