A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
shanon
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by shanon »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I did. She reminded me of myself also, when I was that age. A little insecure, trouble expressing emotions, feeling like the grown up to my mother ..

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?
I could tell Renee loved Bella, but was maybe too much of a free spirit. Charlie, in my opinion, was a typical divorced dad to a teenage girl.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?
A little annoying. Too eager. Angela was also my fav. of the girls.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?
Definately intrigued..

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?
I wanted to know what was going on...Did Bella stink?! LOL

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
HOOKED!
EDC,Inc- Dumptruck Trainee!!!
Pic for banner by someone else.
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Megsimadic »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
I related to her when she was with Charlie and he left her alone. I prefer to do my own things and not get caught up and molly coddled so to speak, so in that case I did relate to her.

I found Renee a bit annoying actually, she seemed nice but too clingy I think. But like I said I like my alone time. I think thats why I really like Charlie. He cares and still looks out for Bella but in a way that they dont stumble on each other.

I found Mike amusing, but friendly enough. I think Jessica is really irritating, constant gossip and you can tell it was all for herself that she was hanging with the new girl really.

Mysterious men, they always drag me in.

I didnt understand his anger but I was really curious as to why he was acting that way

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I think I was hooked. Bella is very quirky and she had me stuck immediately
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away ? If so, what part did you identify with ?

I did. I can relate to her because I am really clumbsy myself and I am really responsible, I am not a big partyer either. And I can relate to how she felt about Edward. Like what she thought and how she felt.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie ?

I like Renee and Charlie. But it is normal at least to me that Renee left him all those years ago.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets ?

Well I did not really like Jessica in the beginning and I still am not to fond of her. I like mike he was nice and Eric but mostly I like Angela the best.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward ?

I was not but I was still curious to why he acted that way. And then when I found out later in the book, i think it was a good reason for why he did act that way.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior ?

Pretty weird but not so weird for him because like he said he has not been around anyone with that strong of a blood type before so I can understand his behavior on his part.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was ?

I was hooked on the very first page and then the rest of the chapter got me hooked on the book even more.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

I could relate because I've been the new girl before. It's always hard to be the person that everyone stares at and tries to figure out. And like Bella takes care of her mom, I'm the type of person who does that as well. Not necessarily taking care of my mom, but taking care of others, in general.

With Renee, I think she's endearing. Scatterbrained, is the best word for it but there isn't any doubt that she doesn't love Bella at all. With Charlie, I think he's just not used to being around Bella...she only visited during the summer months so Charlie doesn't really have any clue what it is to live with someone for an extended period of time, especially a teenage girl.

Normal! There will always be cliques in high school, I don't know one that doesn't! But everyone acted the part of a normal teenager!

Intrigued, definitely. Seeing it through Bella's eyes, you have to wonder why Edward was acting like he was during Biology, why was he like the way he was....

Intriguing! I wanted to know more! (I WANTED MIDNIGHT SUN!!!)

I was hooked. Not only because of Edward and his odd behavior but because Bella is more than your normal teenage girl and it made me want to more about her and her life in Forks.
Sturpherz
Wandering Through Town

Chapter 1 ~ MY First Impressions

Post by Sturpherz »

-Yes, I was able to relate to Bella right away. I come from a broken family as well as Bella, and I also had to make a choice that ended me up staying with my father, who also never got over my mother.

-Renee sounds like the mom my mom tries to be but fails horrible and Charlie is SOO much like my father!! Except for the fact that Charlie gossips…

-I felt bad for mike and any other boy she met, and I loved Angela Webber!! She seems like she would have been my best friend! As for Jessica and Lauren, I could have cared less…

-I was just as in love with him as Bella was.

-I was kind of already aware that he was a vampire, so I thought it was pretty normal.

-Oh, I was already very, very hooked.
"The most important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become..."
softie
Settled in Forks

Post by softie »

I did relate to Bella in some ways. I moved to my current town 7 years ago from the other side of the island. Instead of moving away from my mom, I moved away from my dad. Bella felt like Forks was just not a great place, and I had thought the same way when I was moving. Her thoughts as she was the cruiser were similar to mine.

I did like them both. Renee was trying to a good mom by not keeping Bella so attached to her, and Charlie sounded like the normal father to a teen-age daughter; very cautious of himself, not too strict, "have things her way" kind of approach.

I thought it was a little ironic of how all the students were so eager to know about her. But I also figured that since Forks is a small little town, anyone new would be headline news. I thought Jessica, Mike, Tyler, Angela and Lauren were all just normal people with normal reactions to a new stranger, except, maybe it a little bit too exaggerated.

Intrigued! Once I started reading about him, I was so interested and didn't want to stop reading!

I think it's a typical behavior for a vampire. Since I already knew he was a vampire, I knew that he was resisting himself.

I was hooked right away. Not only did I love the plot, but I also loved the way Stephenie emphasized each detail to the fullest.
ImageImage
Currently Reading - New Moon / Chapter 14: Family / Pg. 323
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

I immediately liked the way she was able to look after herself and make sacrifices to make other people (in this case her mom) happy.

My first impression of Renee was that I would have become crazy with a mum like that. She is just too excited about everything and much too childlike. I liked Charly immediately because he reminded me of my own dad: very fond of his daughter but not very comfortable with expressing his feelings.

From the moment she enters the book, I disliked Jessica because she is exactly the kind of girl I had constant troubles with when still being at school myself. I liked Angela right from the start, she seemed like a nice girl and possible good friend to me. Apart from those two, I was quite irritated about the behaviour of most of the boys in Bella's class.

Intrigued. I couldn't read on fast enough to find out more about him and his strange behaviour.
I guess part of me was also scared by the potential threat he might pose to Bella.

I didn't understand why he seemed to hate Bella so much and couldn't wait for his behaviour to be explained.

I was hooked almost right from the first page on.
KeepMeWithYou
Wandering Through Town
Location: In the City of Nothing with my Dhampir, Xavier, and his human Ally

Post by KeepMeWithYou »

Yes. I can agree with the divorce and the visits. I also liked her narrative voice.

Renee was a teen stuck in an older mother's body. Very free-spirited. Charlie was awkward but I liked him.

Jessica was annoying. Mike was funny. Angela was the only one I could relate to. Very quiet like me.

Both. More intrigued actually. The way he is described makes me wonder...

I wanteed to know what was going on.

Hooked, but still wondering what was so special about the fuss. I was questioning if I should contine...and I did.
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

It was hard to immediately relate to Bella in that I changed schools when I was much younger than she, and while I tend to get bruises of unknown origins, I am not all that clumsy. I did relate to her relationship with her mother in that i'm way overprotective of my mom and my brother gives me a hard time about who is the mother in our relationship. I definitely related to the part of her that is more mature than those around her. I have always been that way, even as a teenager, I never really got into teenage antics.

I thought of Renee as the typical woman who finds herself pregnant and has a baby without really thinking about the ramifications of that decision. Having a child did not mature her in anyway and her actions can lead someone to believe that she thinks of Bella more as a friend than as a daughter.
I liked Charlie right away. I enjoyed seeing how he and Bella adjusted to each other. How you could really see how much she meant to him in subtle ways.

I thought they were typical high school kids. I really do like Angela the most, she seemed the most genuine. And I totally agree with Bella's assessment that her initial popularity was more of being "fresh meat" than a spectacular looking girl.

Scared? Are you KIDDING? I totally got from the first second Bella's pull towards Edward. Intriguing, gorgeous, mysterious, close with his family, unobtainable..............would I write up a perfect man for myself, i'm not sure i would add anything to what SM has given us in Edward.

Well, you knew his secret, so I knew that his behaviour would somehow be tied to what he is. And he's a high school boy (initially) so who knows why boys do whatever strange things they do.

hooked from the first word of the first line of the first page. SM's writing style had me from the second I started reading.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? I related to the part of Bella's starting a new school and not feeling like she fit in. Physically, we both have brown hair and pale skin. I know how she felt on her first day, too. Because of my up-bringing, I was only one of 2 girls in my public school who didn't wear pants- I got a lot of looks, kind of like Bella did on her first day, just because of who she was.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? Honestly, I don't like Renee; I think she needs to grow up a bit. She married and had a child before she was 20, and I think she missed her youth because of that... it forced Bella to take the role of adult a LOT sooner than she needed to. I'm not saying that it's wrong to do get married and have kids before 20; I just feel that Renee never found the balance in that phase of her life; then she married someone who was quite a bit younger than herself to maybe fill the void of the youth she would have had if she hadn't married Charlie and had Bella. Charlie is the kind of man who is quiet and reserved. I think he was happy to have Bella come live with him, but nervous at the same time. I think he sees alot of Renee in her, and it's obvious he loves Bella.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? Ugh- I can't stand Jessica! I like Mike and Angela, though. Mike's friendliness was a bit overwhelming at times, too.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? Intrigued!

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I was wondering what was going through his head! Honestly, I was reading the book so fast, I missed alot of stuff. I knew before hand that he was a vampire and that Bella's blood was the best thing he had smelled in his 80 years of abstinence, so I was just trying to figure out what he was thinking.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? LOL- the preface had me hooked!!!