A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Chapter 3 ~ The End

Post by futurevampire »

I normally don't remember my first reactions to things because it was so long ago..but I do remember a lot of NM.

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?
I definitely knew something was wrong, but I always just keep reading to wait, never really predicting what's happening. I just keep going to find out.
2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?
Never really had a relationship slipping away..kinda with some friends now, but I just kinda want to let it go. Although in something this strong, there is no way I think I ever would let go.
3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?
Nope! I stubbornly throughout the book just KNEW that there was no way he didn't love her, he was just being protective and stupid and I thought he was still there watching out for her. I just kept waiting patiently for him to come back. And I was yelling at Bella for believing him, because come on, him not loving you, Bella?? Yeah, right. What kind of sick joke is THAT??
4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.
Go away and bring Edward back NOW. We don't need you here, her life is pretty much over.
5. Describe your reaction as you read the "months" pages
Mostly I was just thinking how he still wasn't back, I thought there would be more going on in the plot immediately, and I was disappointed that there were so many months of nothingness, the middle of that book was very annoying for me, I kept waiting for Edward to come back.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1. Did you feel a sense of foreboding in this chapter? At what point did you feel what was coming? Or did it take you by surprise?

I felt something bad happening when Bella was describing the change in Edwards expressions. Instantly I was feeling scared ;(

2. Just as Bella did, have you ever felt that subconscious desire to grasp a hold of a relationship slipping away?

Yeah, I'm always trying to hold on to things when someone else wants to move on. I don't realise they want to move on, and when they finally tell me it feels like a slap in the face.

3. Edward speech was definitely a harsh one, but did it grasp reality for you as it did for Bella? Or were you expecting him to run back to her at any moment? Did you believe him as readily as Bella did?

I thought Edwards speech was quite harsh and flat. I felt like he wouldn't come back, but I knew something would happen eventually because nothing can stop love.

4. When Sam appeared during the search, describe your gut reaction to his presence.

I was puzzled as to why he would be there :S

"Edward didn't come back.... yet!"
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

I knew something was coming, I might have thought of the possibility of them leaving, and I kinda already knew that they were not taking Bella. But sensing what is gonna happen and seeing it happening are two very different things... I was devastated.

Yeah! Her depression? OMG, I was feeling it inside of me when Bella was going through all that turmoil! I think that I cried as much as she did...

Of course it didn't! I could read sacrifice in between every word he spoke. This was one of those dialogues that did not require Edward's narration to understand what he was feeling.

I was like... "who the hell...?"

I just kept crying and crying. I have to put the book away for two days before I was able to start reading again. Those pages were like "accept it, stupid, he is not coming back!"
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Just the continuation from the end of the previous chapter, but I never expected what happened.

Yes, and it took years to finally let go.

He just completely changed and was even worse than after their very first meeting in Biology.

When I first read it, and saw the bit about the large animal, I had already heard New Moon was about werewolves, but I saw it there. Even thought I read something about glowing eyes. Though now I read it and it's flashlights.

Amazing. I've never seen anything like that done before, but it's so incredibly harsh. In her state, months, years disappear.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

i didnt think that was going to happen i just thought something will happen but that big

yeah i was screaming at edward

it did but i i didnt believe him i felt he ws lying and saying whatevere to make bella let go

nothing really just someone helping to look for her

i thought it was a waste of paper but clever in showing how time past and i think it represtent how bella is feeling empty
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I absolutely felt it. When Bella realized what the kiss reminded her of. And just one look at the title of the chapter, I pretty much got the picture. I was so sure he was going to leave, that I actually waited untill my boyfriend (who I live with) had left for work, before I read the chapter. Since I was so sure I was going to cry..

No, can't say that I have.

I did not belive him for one second. I knew that what he said, was just tearing him apart. I thought that he did it because he was so sure it was the best thing for Bella, and he knew that the only way to be able to leave was to have her believe that he didn't want her. That was the only thing that she could not argue with. But I knew it was all a lie, and could not believe that Bella didn't. I was sure he would come back, and I thought it would be sooner than what turned out the be case.

Too stressed out at that point to even care... But of course now I see that it had a deeper meaning.

I felt empty, drained... I was already crying at this point, and it did not help. A powerful way to describe the total loss that Bella experienced.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
obieewok

Post by obieewok »

I was fine until I got to

"September"
"October"
"November" etc.

I started to bawl, like full on, your puppy died, kind of crying. Hubs was watching some stupid Sci Fi show and actually paused it and asked:

Ray: "Um, why are you crying?"
Me: "HE LEFT HER."
Ray: "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"
Me: "Um, I don't know. Maybe. Both."
Ray: "See, then, it's a good thing."
Me: "Shut up. You don't know. Men. Vampires or human, you all suck."
Ray: "Um, (trying to lighten my mood) Vampires do suck hon. Get it?"
Me: (Shoe flies off my foot and towards his head)

Needless to say he doesn't ask me anymore about the books that much.
"Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.'"

Like my banner? Suck it. MRK made it for me.
MommyJen
Settled in Forks

Post by MommyJen »

1 & 2. Yes, something felt off. I felt so awful for Bella when she started to want to take pictures of everything. It was very upsetting to me. I have felt this desperation to hold onto a relationship. Especially when you feel like you are not good enough or pretty enough for the person you were with. It broke my heart when she looked at the picture of herself and Edward. Then when she subsequently folded the picture and put herself face down. I have felt like this before too, wondering why the person I am with finds me the most beautiful when I can't see it myself, especially next to him. It's hard to deal with, and I totally related to Bella on this.

3. Bella is so clouded by her self-doubt that she figured the rejection was coming, especially after the blow of the picture and the attitude from him. But as the reader, it was easy to see why Edward started acting distant. It started as soon as the birthday party incident happened. Before he was madly in love with her and then after the incident, he was cold toward her. He didn't stop loving her, he just knew he had to push her away because he didn't want her killed. He had seen how dangerous just the smallest mistake could be for Bella and he knew what he had to do. I knew he was putting on a front and it frustrated me more than Bella did not see it too, but I understood why she didn't.

4. I didn't catch this, actually. I just assumed he had some native-american spirtual thing going on... he did, but not in the way I had expected.

5. I have felt much this way as well. Not over a period of months, but I spent a few weeks in the condition. My heart was aching this whole chapter. It was just wretchedly familiar. Poor Bella.
MommyJen
Settled in Forks

Post by MommyJen »

Additionally, I was so mad at Edward for being such and idiot and doing this. To think that Bella could get over him so easily was just ridiculous. I know he had a worthiness complex as well, but really Edward... such an idiot for an 80 year old vampire.
obieewok

Post by obieewok »

MommyJen wrote:Additionally, I was so mad at Edward for being such and idiot and doing this. To think that Bella could get over him so easily was just ridiculous. I know he had a worthiness complex as well, but really Edward... such an idiot for an 80 year old vampire.

Totally agree. I was like "You are supposed to be SMARTER than this dude."

If I were Bells, I would have knee'd him GOOD. But that's my first reaction to anyone breaking up with me lol.
"Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.'"

Like my banner? Suck it. MRK made it for me.