Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by pennybug84 »

This is my first post on Jasper. So here's my thoughts on our Chill Pill Vampire.
So when I first read the series I wasn't a big Jasper fan. I didn't dislike him, he just wasn't one of my favorite characters. But now having read the series multiple times I've come to realize I love his character. I think part of the reason I didn't love him was because he does seem to be not as close to the rest of the Cullens and central to the family as others like Edward and Alice. (Not that I'm saying they don't love and care for him too.)

One thing I love about him is that even though he's not as comfortable being around humans and the smell and draw their blood is for him he tries to live a normal human life for Alice. She wants to live w/the Cullens and stay with them and live their way of life and so he stays. Now that's a good,wonderful,loving man! I really enjoyed how he has a bigger part in Eclipse too. It was nice to hear his story and to be able to understand him more.

I think his ability is pretty cool, but it would also be a pain to have! Feeling the emtotions from everyone around you would just be a pain and uncomfortable I think.

So basically, I've come to love Jasper in his own right. He's such a cool guy.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

Jasper is so incredible. The things he's gone through, the pain he's felt, and imagine how hard it is for him to be in public. Think about it this way--even if the only public place he goes is the school :o --that's the WORST place for someone with his ability! Teenagers are moody, rebellious, and there hormones are all over the place. Their emotions are an almost constant roller coaster and he has to deal with that every day. No wonder he struggles with his thirst so much---I'd want to do whatever I could to make that stop! He thinks he's the weakest but really I think he's just as strong as the others, with the exception of Edward (his ability assails him constantly, also). Jasper rules!!!
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
topazeyes2
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by topazeyes2 »

Sorry this is off topic. Probably no one noticed this because even I didn't. I found out in a video they based the way Jasper looked from this older movie called Edward Scissorhands and coincedentally I had just rented that movie so I watched and johnny depp looked so much like Jasper in the movie!
Image[/img]
Bulldozer Trainee at E.D.C. Go Emmett!!!
\/Brittany\/
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Telling Jasper that Alice cheated on him...with a werewolf

Post by \/Brittany\/ »

topazeyes2 wrote:Sorry this is off topic. Probably no one noticed this because even I didn't. I found out in a video they based the way Jasper looked from this older movie called Edward Scissorhands and coincedentally I had just rented that movie so I watched and johnny depp looked so much like Jasper in the movie!
I know what you mean! He seems so standoffish and awkward. I love him though! That's how he has to act in order to avoid snapping.
Team Bella: Have a Little Werewolf with Your Vampire
I have Twilightis *cough,cough* There is no cure
Jasper Hale laughs at your mood ring
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Okay folks, time for a little question love for Jazz.

Given the turmoil Jasper has been made to endure because of his gift, do you think he would give it up? Why or why not?
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
eclipserox

Post by eclipserox »

Yes, I think he would give it up. I don't think he really uses his gift that often. He doesn't seem at all controlling. He mainly spends time with his family ,who he respects, and I just don't see him messing with their emotions. And, I definitely don't think the small amount of time that he would use his gift is worth feeling everybody's pain, anger, sadness all the time. His emotions would never be his own. He might be perfectly happy, having a wonderful moment with Alice and then feeling Edward's bad mood over a fight with Bella or jealousy of Jacob or something. He might be going through something horrible like losing Alice, but instead of being able to grieve, he would feel any happiness anyone nearby was feeling. Good question! I wonder how many of the Cullens would want to give up their powers.

My mind jumps to Edward. He never really has silence, peace and quiet. His mind is always full of noise, other people's thoughts. Sometimes it is incredibly useful, like when he is able to hear Alice's thoughts during the battle with the Volturi in BD. But, most of the time, he is hearing the boring, useless thoughts of people like Jessica Stanley. Never having peace and quiet would drive me crazy. I definitely don't think Alice would give up her power. She is very reliant on it, it is useful and she enjoys knowing the future. Bella wouldn't give her gift up. It is useful, can help her protect her family, and doesn't really alter her day-to-day life.
\/Brittany\/
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Telling Jasper that Alice cheated on him...with a werewolf

Post by \/Brittany\/ »

Great question Jazz Girl!

I'd say he would give it up. As you said it has caused him much turmoil. Also it would be difficult to use subtly, as Edward could tell when he is using his gift, and so I don't think it'd be as useful if someone knew that their emotions were being controlled, and they were not feeling those emotions themselves.
Sorry if that made no sense. It kind of did in my mind but it's hard to find words.
Team Bella: Have a Little Werewolf with Your Vampire
I have Twilightis *cough,cough* There is no cure
Jasper Hale laughs at your mood ring
therealmrswhitlock

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

Hmmm...good question! I think he would give it up. It would definitely make living life a lot easier. I mean, I always wondered, what if he and Alice were having a romantic moment and then someone passed nearby and they were in a bad mood or really sad or something---would that ruin the moment for Jasper? He could at least be in a peaceful environment and I think that he would have a lot less trouble with his thirst if he wasn't feeling everyone else's crazy emotions all the time.
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Jazz Girl wrote:Okay folks, time for a little question love for Jazz.

Given the turmoil Jasper has been made to endure because of his gift, do you think he would give it up? Why or why not?
Jazz Girl: First of all let me say that you come up with the most interesting questions and help keep discussions flowing. Thank you for that. :)

As far as this question is concerned- based on the other responses I'm guessing you're asking if Jasper would be willing to give up his gift.

Let me be the first to say "no." Yes, I see everyone's points (so far) about how difficult it is for him to live with his power, but allow me to point out a few things:

1. If not for his ability, he would never have doubted his way of life as a vampire with Maria. He would never have started that spiral of depression when he would feed off humans, which in turn would mean he would have never left Maria, never left Peter and Charlotte, and never found Alice. And as we all know, he lives for Alice... I can't imagine him giving something up that was partly responsible for them being together.

2. While I understand the comments about how others' emotions can affect his own, I believe at this point something like Edward getting irritated at Bella would be a minor annoyance to Jasper at most. Why? Because he spent most of his immortal years in a climate of war. Remember his genesis story in Eclipse: he lived in a constant state of battle, with death as his constant companion (never mind the hate, or the fear). Compared to that, everything else is just not as bad. Perhaps they would be causes for distractions, but a simple touch of his ability can supress them.

3. Jasper likes his ability- in the presence of positive emotions. Remember how he hangs around Bella after she's changed? His ability is also very useful- I was actually wondering how the confrontation with the Volturi in Breaking Dawn would have gone, had Jasper been there to calm things down.
jawsuhlin
Settled in Forks
Location: "You really ought to give Iowa a try!" - The Music Man

Post by jawsuhlin »

I love Jasper. I love his nickname, Jazz. That makes me so happy inside. I love that he was a soldier on the Confederate side of the Civil War, because I'm a Civil War History geek. I love his power to manipulate feelings, although I wish we could have seen him do more than just calm people down. It would have been fun to read about him making people angry to watch a good fight or making people happy. (I wonder if that's why Alice is always so happy and hyper.)