Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Alice Cullen

Post by ringswraith »

Speaking as a writer of a fanfic whose vampire character also does not know who changed him and why, I have this theory:

It's simply not important.

It doesn't matter who that vampire was, or why he decided to change Alice- her personality was not influenced by this vampire at all. So what does it matter to us, that we know nothing of him?

When I wrote my fanfic, I debated this very question back and forth for a while. I knew I needed someone to change him, but that would mean creating another character for the sole purpose of being the agent of that change. It seemed wasteful to create such a character. I quickly abandoned it for an approach similar to what happened to Alice- it was much easier to write, and there was less pressure to figure out every little detail. (Thus, more convenient for the writer, and easier to digest for the reader.)

Now, compare this with say Jasper's genesis through Maria. Maria obviously had a hand in forming him during his early vampire years, so it made more sense for Maria to be a fleshed-out character rather than a "biter and leaver." Not to mention we know Maria is still alive, and out there somewhere. The vampire who changed Alice is dead, so he will very likely always remain a mystery.
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

Ok, I get your point...

But what I was really wondering, is why did the old vampire like Alice so much. I mean, he liked her so much, he decided to change her so she was not killed by James. This indicates that he was not attracted to her because of her scent or anything of that sort. He just wanted her safe, right?

So I wonderer what could their relationship been...

I agree it is kinda irrelevant, but I just want to know so much more about Alice! :D
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

I think that Stephenie knows and probably has a little back story for the old vampire. But seeing as there's no way of Alice finding out about him, seeing as she remembers nothing and now James is dead, there's no way we as the audience could find out through the plot details of him. Maybe there'll be a little bit about him in the guide that's supposed to be coming out.

As for why the vampire liked Alice so much, I think it was probably pity, and curiousity. I imagine he felt sorry for a lot of the people being sectioned into the asylum, but even more so for Alice, who genuinely had nothing wrong with her mental health. Being abandoned by her family, with them telling everyone that she was dead when she was being given all sorts of horrible treatment; and him having to be one of the people treating her. I think he felt sorry for her more so than anyone else, bringing him a bit closer to her.
Plus, with her having visions that granted wouldn't have been as advanced as they are in her vampire life? Imagine coming across someone like that, who could see the future? You'd naturally be curious and want to know more. Especially knowing what he did, that gifts become more advanced when they become vampires.
So yeah, I think it was pity and curiousity that led him to her, and then you really can't help loving Alice once you do get to know her.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

Ok, so here goes a theory...

Could this old vampire be a little like Carlisle? Not exactly the same (since he is one and only), but in the sense that he worked with humans, and taking into consideration that he did not kill Alice, so he is compassionate towards humans, right?
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

chowzinha wrote:Ok, so here goes a theory...

Could this old vampire be a little like Carlisle? Not exactly the same (since he is one and only), but in the sense that he worked with humans, and taking into consideration that he did not kill Alice, so he is compassionate towards humans, right?
Certainly an interesting thought, Chowzinha. I think the best explanation that we will ever get comes from James. "I never will understand the obsession some vampires seem to form with you humans." (Twilight p 447) There must have been some sort of logic behind it, at least to the vampire, but it isn't a story we will most likely ever get to hear.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

james did describe him as an old vampire, so perhaps he had an interest in humans the same way as Carlislse does, or like the vampire that created the other half-breeds in South America, he was just interested in what he could learn from them, and gradually became attached to them over time.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

I have always imagined the vampire who changed Alice as being similar to Carlisle. I imagine he had to share Carlisle's compassion and desire to save people. After all, he felt for Alice and changed her to save her from James. He also worked in a mental hospital, presumably to help people. Vampires don't really need to work. They can live as nomads or steal. Working in a hospital to help people makes him very like Carlisle. He would also be in close proximity with humans but able to control his thirst, like Carlisle.

James didn't just feed off people. He enjoyed it. He tortured them. If the vampire realized his plan for Alice, it makes sense that he would want to save her, even if saving her meant changing her. Working in the hospital, he probably knew Alice's history. He probably knew she didn't have the best human life, with a family who placed her in a mental hospital. He probably decided changing her would be the best thing because it would save her and give her a chance at a different life.
xxmollsx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxmollsx »

Do we ever learn what Alice's original eye color was? I know she doesn't remember, but did she ever find any records from the hospital or anything?

By the way, Alice rocks! She's my favorite character, by far. Next comes Emmett, because he's hilarious.
daniel.cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by daniel.cullen »

chowzinha wrote:Ok, I get your point...

But what I was really wondering, is why did the old vampire like Alice so much. I mean, he liked her so much, he decided to change her so she was not killed by James. This indicates that he was not attracted to her because of her scent or anything of that sort. He just wanted her safe, right?

So I wonderer what could their relationship been...

I agree it is kinda irrelevant, but I just want to know so much more about Alice! :D
Because Alice is quite simply the most fascinating creature in the twilight universe.... duh...... I'd change her if I were a vampire, but since I'm not, I've just gotta wait for her to change me.
Bella&Edward_forever
Settled in Forks

Post by Bella&Edward_forever »

I love Alice! I really like her, she is so lovely!
The best thing she said is about the whole weddingthing, when she asked Bella "if you love me, let me do your wedding", I love that part. <3

She is so friendly, she can't be evil even if she is a vampire, she can't.