Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
greeneggs
Settled in Forks

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by greeneggs »

Another thing I didn't quite get:

Does Nessie stop growing at time-age 17, or body age 17? Since she physically matures so fast...

If it's time-age, won't she be old and wrinkly when her time stops? If it's body age, do you mean she's stuck as a 7-year-old, forever? I mean, Smeyer says once vampires freeze in time they don't change emotionally...

And finally, there's the conflict between reverse-imprinting (a scientific phenomenon) and imprinting (in twilight-verse). In science, kids aren't sexually attracted to people they are raised with in the first two years of life. Where does that leave Jacob?

----

Sorry, just needed to get these questions out. They were bugging me a lot...

(And OT but am I the only one who loves the new forums more than the old ones? I mean, it's sad that we lost everything but I love how theres a direct button to all your posts and the search can link you to a post instead of a thread. Plus it's pretty. (maybe I'm just weird...))
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Calicoxx »

((And don't forget edit.))

It's fantasy, which means it doesn't scientifically have to be correct. While SM was trying for scientific accuracy, there still are things that can be chalked up to fiction.

And she's not technically human. Being a hybrid would make her mentality far different from a normal humans.
Peace, love, always and forever.
greeneggs
Settled in Forks

Post by greeneggs »

Calicoxx wrote:
It's fantasy, which means it doesn't scientifically have to be correct. While SM was trying for scientific accuracy, there still are things that can be chalked up to fiction.

It might be fantasy, but Bella is a human, right?

So if Edward was the one pregnant then maybe being flooded with HCl wouldn't kill him, and maybe the baby wouldn't die either, being half vampire... but it's the human Bella we're talking about. So she should follow human rules...
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by pubesy »

i agree greeneggs.

but if you explain renesmee getting into bella's lungs in terms of the twiliverse then the while emergency C section scene could have been measured in seconds rather than minutes. vampires move at astonishingly fast speeds and have inhuman strength. renesmee could have inherited this inhuman strength and speed from her father. thus when ripping bella from the inside this could have taken her mere seconds, rather than minutes. edward's emergency C section could have also in real time taken around 30 seconds, for all we know. even with ripped organs, bella's death would not have been immediate.

and while yes, i agree, it is possible to tear all the organs you mentioned apart to reach the lungs, (haha as if a real infant could do all this damage) you have to remember that the lungs can extend down to the 12th intercostal space at the posterior side of the body, so renesmee would only really have to rip through the womb, liver, peritoneal cavity and diaphragm (for the right side). sure - this would cause damage and ultimately death in a real person, i agree.

however again, if explained in terms of the twiliverse, if the whole C section only took seconds due to edward's superhuman speed - and then quickly afterward, injected bella with his venom - bella was no longer dying a mortal death hence her injuries sustained by renesmee - (ruptured organs etc) - were no longer life threatening as the moment edward injected her heart, bellas death was guaranteed.

edward then continued around her body, biting her at different areas to quickly get venom moving around her body. it is possible that this venom "healed" her human injuries in order to become a vampire. (this could also explain why bella does not have the "baby" excess skin on her abdomen as a vampire?)
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
waiting for a meteor
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by waiting for a meteor »

it is possible that this venom "healed" her human injuries in order to become a vampire. (this could also explain why bella does not have the "baby" excess skin on her abdomen as a vampire?)
I think so, too. The extra skin would not come in handy on the hunt, therefore the venom presumably took care of it.
No Rose, your backside is not getting any bigger – its frozen in time, remember?
Parallel evolution? My Twin = darkrider
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Post by tricia »

waiting for a meteor wrote:
it is possible that this venom "healed" her human injuries in order to become a vampire. (this could also explain why bella does not have the "baby" excess skin on her abdomen as a vampire?)
I think so, too. The extra skin would not come in handy on the hunt, therefore the venom presumably took care of it.

if venom can put a spine back togther it surly can fix some streached skin and repair streach marks.
"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

debussygirl wrote:So if you were around before the boards crashed, you may or may not know that I was thoroughly confused about how a 25-chromosone vampire could have a normal child with a 23-chromosone human. Well, I did my research this time other than relying on my limited public school knowledge of it, and I found that this could happen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mules
In the first paragraph you read that donkeys have 62 chromosones, horses have 64. But they can reproduce and make a mule. I still don't get it, but it can happen. Which also brings up an interesting point. Not all mules are sterile. Some female mules can reproduce with purebred horses or donkeys. It's the same with a liger. Here's the site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger
So maybe Renesmee could have children with Jacob. Hmmm...

i understand....and i wonder if maybe nessi could eventually have a kid with jake. because i remember in eclipse jake would always say to bella how if she went with him they could have kids...pups...w/e....but with edward she couldn't. that was kind of the only thing missing. now it's there....1+1=2 <<haha

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Calicoxx »

I am still wondering about hair. Does it grow, or stay the same?
Peace, love, always and forever.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

It stays the same.

Wouldn't Bella have a bunch of vampire bite marks all over her stomach from when Edward ripped it open during her pregnancy? The bites are the only thing that can scar a vampire's skin, so wouldn't it still be there.

What magical venom. It can heal stretch marks and broken spines and yet apparently fails to get a hold of Edward's elusive sperm.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

There is a certain way genes work. The child would end up with a 50% chance of being half n half, a 25% chance of being full human, and a 25% chance of being full vampire. Heres a pick of how that works I know its kinda confusing. This would be if Nessie and Nahuel had children not Jake and Nessie (<< I have no idea how that works to many genes)

http://i38.tinypic.com/1496ss6.jpg
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3