Chapter 13 ~ Killer

A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Killer

Post by sarah! »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
~it is resolved many ways. basically, Bella doesn't really care what everyone is.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?
~they start nervous, then Bella gets angry at Jacob, and then it gets more calm.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?
~ I think it would suck. Everything you are ashamed of is just put out there for everyone to see.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
~ because its mentally painful and they have to get used to doing things the opposite way.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
alice_is_my_homegirl
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by alice_is_my_homegirl »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved? Bella and Jacob become friends again, aqnd Bella gets freaked out when she knows that the wolves are risking their lives for her.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change? They are sad, happy, and confused.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves? It probably feels like you have no privacy.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way? It was the worst thing that he has ever dealt with because he couldn't be with Bella.
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901!
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved?
Jake's conflict is mostly resolved because he can finally be open with Bella about what is going on. Before she figured things out he couldn't be friends with her because he was not allowed to. Bella's internal conflict is only partially resolved. The small part of her that was conflicted over whether or not to warn Jake about the police is resolved because she does warn him. And, now that she knows what's wrong with Jake they can go back to being friends. However, the feelings she still has for Edward and the ones she seems to be developing for Jake are still raging. I don't remember there being a conflict between Jake and Alice in this chapter.

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change?
In the beginning Bella is afraid for her friend because she doesn't want him to be hurt, even if he is a murderer. She is also upset with him for killing people, she can't understand why vampires can avoid killing humans and warewolves can't. Jake is worried that Bella is not going to be able to handle the fact that he is a warewolf and she will reject him for it; then he is mad because he thinks she is ok with vampires and not warewolves. Once they have discussed what they were both talking about exactly they are happy to be friends again. Jake is happy because he can have Bella back, and Bella is happy because she knows whats going on with Jake.

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves?
I would not want to be in their position. That is a huge invasion of privacy. It's bad enough that everyone hears everything you think, but to then have to deal with what they think about what you thought would be unbareable. Your mind is the one place you are truly safe. You can say anything, think anything, dream anything and you know its only you who can be a part of that. I feel a little bad for the wolves.

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way?
They probably think they are losing their minds. Their bodies are suddenly much warmer than normal, you are aging and growing at a ridiculous pace and suddenly you are an animal. If you were alone during all of this you'd have no idea what was going on. You probably wouldn't know how you got to the animal form or how to get back again. I think the pain Jake was describing was mostly emotional and mental.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Her internal conflict is still about Edward and and the hole in her chest. Shes never going to get over him.. and it's eating her up inside and she doesn't know what to do. Jacobs internal conflict.. about being a werewolf and probably losing his first love.. The conflict with Jacob&Bella is that hes a werewolf, so things have changed drastically.. along with him bugging her about choosing him... These conflicts are still unresolved at this point. I don't know about the conflict with alice and jacob..
Bella probably doesn't know what the hell is going on anymore, but she needs her friend back. He's the only one she has at this point. Jacobs probably just relieved to see her.
It would feel so uncomfortably awkward and embarrassing... I can't even imagine what that would be like... Ha, Jacob deserves it though :lol:
He was changing physically, and his mind was freaking out, which the affects of that were probably physical. He thought he was going crazy, and his mind was probably tricking the body by making that feel pain too.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

Wow...uhm..Bella never really gets hers resolved, she's wrestling with whether or not to give in and accept that she could be with Jacob and not ever get much better. She never really makes a decision, because she doesn't know if she could do it. Jacob is mostly good with his because now Bella knows everything, even though he still doesn't like being a werewolf very much. He feels better that she can know what's going on and still be around him. The conflict between them..hmm...he still wants her to be with him, but Bella has no idea what she's doing and Jacob keeps trying to get her to pick him. That doesn't really get resolved..but it seems okay between them that he's a werewolf.
Jacob and Alice never can really resolve their differences, but they do manage to stay in the same room without attacking each other, which I'm sure is an improvement.

At first Bella is really angry and sad, and also scared about what her life will be like without him. She is also really confused. Jacob is also confused and mostly just angry. By the end of the chapter, they understand everything and are not mad at each other. They feel a lot better that Jake is really not a murderer and they can still be friends. Bella is also very afraid about the werewolves fighting Victoria, and Victoria still being there.
It probably makes they feel vulnerable, and also worried that they have no secrets anymore. It also might make them closer when they can really understand each other and the different points of view.
He is so surprised and scared. He had absolutely no idea what was going on. He probably thought he was a monster or was going insane. He didn't even know who he really was. When you can't trust yourself and your own head, what can you trust??
There's nothing worse than finding out that maybe nothing is what it seems, you have no control over huge things happening to you.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

Alice? I think it's supposed to be Edward, I don't remember reading anything about her. Nothing really seems to be resolved. Bella continues to struggle without Edward. Jacob has to struggle with the voices in his head of the pack, being under control of Sam, these changes. Bella & Jacob are not the same as weeks ago, yet they still are. Jacob wants her to get over Edward, furthering that conflict, and to be with him, but she only wants Jacob as a friend--nothing more, unlike with Edward.

Anger, fear, sorrow, embarassment...

Sam has to force them to work as a team. There really isn't much of a choice for backing out. Nothing is private from the rest of them. It's beneficial as a team but individually it'd drain them of private thought--something they'd lose in time.

Completely mental, since you're used to being you. People struggle with broken bones, losing body parts, and having to cope with that. But to suddenly have your mind in the form of another animal has to be frightening. Even for people turning into vampires, the story from Carlisle was filled with fear and anguish.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Alice wasn't in this chapter, so I will save that conflict.
Bella is struggeling with the fact that Jacob is a werewolf. I think that is somewhat resolved when she goes to La Push. She finds Jacob again, although he is forever changed in some way. Jacob is struggeling with the fact that he loves Bella, and he is scared that she might not want to see him again. That is also somewhat resolved when she comes to see him. Bella is still struggeling with Edward, and the fact that she can't see a bright future without him. She thinks it will never get better, and it hurts her to even say his name. That is not resolved. Neither is Jacob's unresponded feelings for Bella.

They were both scared and confused. Jacob because he feared that Bella would see him as monster. Bella because she was afraid that her Jacob was a killer. I think they in a way found each other again here. And after that I think both of them felt relived that they were finally able to share some secrets.

It is of course handy in hunting situations. But at other times it must be embarrassing, shameful..Everyone knows everything, and they have lost the one place that they before could keep private.

I can imagine that he was so scared. It must feel like loosing oneself. Becoming this huge animal. I'm sure he was struggeling to understand what happened, and what that would mean for his future. He was also afraid that he might hurt somebody, like his father or Bella.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

Bella's is solved pretty easily; she makes her decision and sticks to it, as always. She decides to warn Jake and plead with him to stop killing people - and it turns out he wasn't in the first place, so that's solved quickly. The unsolved part is her split loyalty - spill vampires secrets to help herself and Charlie and the wolves, and be loyal to Jacob; or keep them and stay loyal to the Cullens? I guess she doesn't see the point in keeping secrets that Jacob pretty much knows, when keeping them could cause harm to Charlie and herself and a whole bunch of innocent strangers.
Jacob's is solved when he realises Bella doesn't care about him being a werewolf - nothing does seem to be able to keep Jacob down at this point.
Bella and Jacob get over their arguments quickly; she realises he literally couldn't tell her anything sooner, and forgives him; he realises she doesn't care what he is, and gets over his own anger. Problems solved.
I don't know that there's any conflict between Jacob and Alice... That's not until later on.

A whole range: for Bella, disbelief (more mythical creatures?) solved when she learns to accept it, anger at Jacob insulting the Cullens, unease at being disloyal to the Cullens, and sheer terror over Victoria; for Jacob, fear and anger that Bella won't want him anymore, and that he's something he didn't want to be, and then joy and relief that she does want to stay with him, and that he knows a bit more information on the threats bugging them.

Awkward and annoying as hell, probably. Every single thought you think - bitchy thoughts about the pack, private thoughts about people you love, even nerdy things you might watch on TV that would be way to embarrassing to admit... All out there for four other boys to see. Don't think I'd like that much.

I imagine it would be anyway, regardless of pain - randomly morphing into a giant, horse-sized doggy wolf? When you didn't believe the stories you were told and a few minutes ago you were just hanging out with friends at the movies? Your entire body transforming into an animal, and hearing four other voices of people you didn't even like in your head trying to keep you sane, seemingly understanding it all when you sure as hell don't... I'd be terrified, too.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

1. There are four conflicts in this chapter: Bella's internal conflict, Jacob's internal conflict, the conflict between Bella and Jacob and the conflict between Jacob and Alice. How are these conflicts resolved? How are they left unresolved? This question confuses me

2. Jacob told Bella she could call him if she doesn't want to see him again. Bella considers this option, but chooses to go to La Push for a face-to-face conversation. What emotions are they feeling throughout this chapter and how do those emotions change? Well she thought Jacob was killing people but when she realized she was wrong she was releaved

3. We learn that Jacob and the other werewolves can hear each others' thoughts regardless of whether or not they want to share their thoughts. When there are in wolf form. Since the pack members don't choose each other, some of them haven't been close, yet now they are sharing thoughts. How do you think that feels for Jacob and the other wolves? It's got to suck

4. Jacob tells us that the change was the most horrible, terrifying thing he's ever been through. Since Stephenie has told us in the personal correspondence that the pain is not physical, why do you think Jacob describes the change in this way? Wouldn't it scared the sh@* out of you to have your body morph into a giant wolf???
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Well... Alice wasn't in this chapter, I don't think. But there was certainly conflict between Jacob & Bella -- it's resolved when Bella decided to go to La Push to talk to Jacob as well as when he comes to see her. Bella's internal conflict was resolved when she figured out whe Jacob was trying to tell her; but left unresolved because Jacob did the one thing he said he'd never do -- leave her. She's not sure if she should trust him again.

They are feeling anxious that their friendship might have to end -- and Jacob is probably feeling guilty for trying to tell Bella what happened. They are both relieved when Bella knows the truth.

Weird & like an invasion of privacy. To an extent, they probably feel like they aren't themselves any more & never alone.

Because it was probably truly horrifying not to know what was happening & to feel completely alone. It completely changes who you are -- virtually without warning. That has to be terrifying. The pain is emotional.

Image Image Image