General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Charlie's Response

Post by shape-shifter »

How did Charlie realize that Nesssie had brown eyes like Bella and had edward's face and his hair all in a few seconds?
xoPearl_Angelxo
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xoPearl_Angelxo »

I'n my opinion Charlie's reaction was rushed a little bit. Not in the sense that SM wrote it wrong I think I personally wanted a few more pages. His initial reaction to take evrything by stride made me a little confused because all through these books Charlie had become a tough officer but a soft and loving father to Bella and treated Jake as his own. SO when Jake transforms infront of his eye's I expected fainting, and thinking he was dreaming and stuff. SO taking it in stride for him took me a little ettign used to to. But in the end I guess it made sense. Charlie loves Bella more than anything and when she was sick he must have been very worried so just being able to see her again probably let him accept everything better because he really just wanted to see her well and safe.
APPC

avatar by *cullens & converse @ Vesperarium

Read My All Original Twilight Fanfic - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4277830/1/T ... everything
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

Is anyone actually able to explain to me, i've read it a couple of times but I still don't understand, what Jake told Charlie, and what happens when he sees bella etc etc..just generally the whole meeting and things..Please :)
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Post by tricia »

eliselovesedwardx wrote:Is anyone actually able to explain to me, i've read it a couple of times but I still don't understand, what Jake told Charlie, and what happens when he sees bella etc etc..just generally the whole meeting and things..Please :)
Jake went all wolf in front of charlie. Which got his mind working in the direction that there are things out there that he never even thought existed.

To look at the Cullens you have to know they are different. he is the Chief of police, that makes him an observent person to begin with, able to ad 2 + 2.

So when Jacob tells Charlie that Bella has had some changes and she now looks more like Esme than Rene, he knows she has some how changed into whatever the Cullens are.. i am sure "vampire" didn't pop into his head, but he knows they are different.

He asks Jacob if she turns into animals too.. Jake laughs and basicly says no.. so Charlie's mind is working in the direction of the unexplainable

He tells Charlie that in order to see Bella that he need to not ask to many questions and just accept her for what she is, without explanation.. this is as much Charlie's idea as Jakes as he doesn't really want to know.

Jake goes onto explain about Nessie, how there is a baby and gives a weak but plausable explanation for her. Of course just looking at Nessie Charlie knows that it is Bella and Edwards baby but goes along with the story that he has been told.

When he sees Bella, he knows that Jake is right. She is not the same bella he has known, but like Jake when he first saw Bella as a vampire, he realizes that inside it is still the same old Bella. A father loves his daughter no matter what, and Jake has said that if he can't accept what has happened then Bella and all the Cullens are going to leave. Charlie chooses to accept what she is without question in order to stay in his daughter's and now grand daughter's life....

so charlie does what charlie always does... goes and sits to watch a ball game and doesn't ask ANY questions. He accepts it all.

This is just my opinion... SM may have a whole other scenerio in her mind ;)
"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

One thing I've started questioning recently is how could Jacob tell Charlie. I probably need to read the book again but I was under the impression from New Moon that a wolf couldn't tell anybody except the person he/she imprinted on. Jake tried to tell Bella in New Moon but, even though he wanted to, he found it phsyically impossible.

Did Jacob circumvent that rule by simply phasing in front of Charlie? Is it that easy to break the rule? Or did it have something to do with Jacob being an Alpha now?
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
midnight_fix
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by midnight_fix »

Destani wrote:One thing I've started questioning recently is how could Jacob tell Charlie. I probably need to read the book again but I was under the impression from New Moon that a wolf couldn't tell anybody except the person he/she imprinted on. Jake tried to tell Bella in New Moon but, even though he wanted to, he found it phsyically impossible.

Did Jacob circumvent that rule by simply phasing in front of Charlie? Is it that easy to break the rule? Or did it have something to do with Jacob being an Alpha now?
I don't think it's an Alpha thing, I think that the rule strictly applies to verbally spilling the beans about it. Not telling but showing seems like a pretty big loophole, but so does getting someone to guess by giving them hints (Jacob to Bella). I think Jacob's just pretty good at stretching the rules to his advantage. It makes me wonder if Jacob was convinced he could control himself, if he would have just phased in front of Bella when he was trying to tell her what he was?
Edward talks to me in my head.....they tried to give me medication for that but I wouldn't let them.
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Post by tricia »

midnight_fix wrote:
Destani wrote:One thing I've started questioning recently is how could Jacob tell Charlie. I probably need to read the book again but I was under the impression from New Moon that a wolf couldn't tell anybody except the person he/she imprinted on. Jake tried to tell Bella in New Moon but, even though he wanted to, he found it phsyically impossible.

I don't think it's an Alpha thing, I think that the rule strictly applies to verbally spilling the beans about it. Not telling but showing seems like a pretty big loophole, but so does getting someone to guess by giving them hints (Jacob to Bella). I think Jacob's just pretty good at stretching the rules to his advantage. It makes me wonder if Jacob was convinced he could control himself, if he would have just phased in front of Bella when he was trying to tell her what he was?

i agree. he didn't actually tell Charlie.. he just phased.

I also agree with the whole telling bella thing. He didn't phase because he knew what happened to Emily and loved bella so much he didn't want to hurt her. It took all he had to not phase in front of her.

But i think that once he broke away from Sam and had his own pack that the orders he was under no longer applied. he could have told Charlie if he wanted to.. but i don't think Charlie would have believed it unless he actually saw it.
"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

midnight_fix
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by midnight_fix »

tricia wrote:
But i think that once he broke away from Sam and had his own pack that the orders he was under no longer applied. he could have told Charlie if he wanted to.. but i don't think Charlie would have believed it unless he actually saw it.
I think Jacob was still responsible for the secret even after he broke off and formed his own pack, because I don't think that the order was set by Sam or the elders, but more likely his ancestors..the first ones that phased...maybe...i don't know.. :lol: Even if it was a new order- Jake is still a quiliete..his responsibilty is still the same- to kill any vampires that are a threat to humans, so I believe he still has responsibilities to the tribe and the orders and rules over all the wolves.
Edward talks to me in my head.....they tried to give me medication for that but I wouldn't let them.
musicislife08
Settled in Forks

Post by musicislife08 »

I thought Charlie's response was hilarious. They way he was just....umm...need to know basis only. I laughed.
His reaction suited me just fine, I mean look at his daughter's reaction. She didn't flip out, so it makes sense that Charlie didn't either. Bella is so much like him already. Or was.....hahahaha.
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Post by tricia »

midnight_fix wrote:tricia wrote:
I think Jacob was still responsible for the secret even after he broke off and formed his own pack, because I don't think that the order was set by Sam or the elders, but more likely his ancestors..the first ones that phased...maybe...i don't know.. :lol: Even if it was a new order- Jake is still a quiliete..his responsibilty is still the same- to kill any vampires that are a threat to humans, so I believe he still has responsibilities to the tribe and the orders and rules over all the wolves.

I agree. I don't think he is forced to keep the secret the way Sam had made it an order. But it wouldn't serve him well to tell anyone. So although they choose to keep it, i don't think he HAS to keep it.