Movie Inconsistencies?

Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Re: Movie Inconsistencies?

Post by older_twilight_fan »

cassis_rose wrote:I find the movie Edward too rough with Bella. Or is it just me?

I mean, in the books, Edward is always gentle as Bella is very delicate to him. In the movie, he was pulling her and all. I can't remember which scene was it.
I know I'm being a little nitpicky, but I thought of two other times when movie Edward seemed a little out of character for my taste. In the field trip scene, Edward really glared at Bella and spoke harshly to her when she tripped and he said, "Try not to fall down so much!" or something along those lines.

I also didn't like when Edward honked the horn to get Bella's attention the first morning he drove her to school. I preferred that scene in the book when Bella discovered Edward waiting for her by his car when she rushed outside to drive to school. It's just not very gentlemanly and chivalrous of 107-year-old Edward to "honk his horn" to pick up his date. :lol:
Banner by TammyAZ
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

I agree with you, older_twilight_fan, that's the scene I'm talking about.

I find him too harsh with Bella.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

It may be different from the book...but I wouldn't really notice. All I know is that when he is at all "rough" with Bella in the movie...it makes me feel funny inside. :shock:

Image Image
twilightsagaaddict

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

For me, I think the biggest inconsistency is the lack of passion and tenderness between Edward and Bella in the movie. They both seem almost angry at each other. That's not what their relationship is all about. I wonder if its how the characters were written or how they were directed......
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
ForJazz926

Post by ForJazz926 »

Well maybe it's just that the movie was too short for you to feel satisfied that their relationship was fully represented. I can relate to that. But Bella and Edward *did* appear angry at each other at the beginning of Twilight. Edward because...well, the obvious, and Bella because she couldn't figure out why he was so hateful towards her, and why she couldn't stop thinking about him. I thought it was pretty accurate. But I would have definitely liked to see more of the scenes where they learn to be sweet and...as close to comfortable with each other that two people who should be predator and prey can be.

Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

ForJazz926 wrote:Well maybe it's just that the movie was too short for you to feel satisfied that their relationship was fully represented. I can relate to that. But Bella and Edward *did* appear angry at each other at the beginning of Twilight. Edward because...well, the obvious, and Bella because she couldn't figure out why he was so hateful towards her, and why she couldn't stop thinking about him. I thought it was pretty accurate. But I would have definitely liked to see more of the scenes where they learn to be sweet and...as close to comfortable with each other that two people who should be predator and prey can be.
Totally agree. They could've easily made the movie 3 hours - giving extra time to work up Bella and Edwards relationship.. which came across as quite weak. :cry:
Hopefully they'll make up for it at the start of NM :ugeek:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
twilightsagaaddict

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

ForJazz926 wrote:Well maybe it's just that the movie was too short for you to feel satisfied that their relationship was fully represented. I can relate to that. But Bella and Edward *did* appear angry at each other at the beginning of Twilight. Edward because...well, the obvious, and Bella because she couldn't figure out why he was so hateful towards her, and why she couldn't stop thinking about him. I thought it was pretty accurate. But I would have definitely liked to see more of the scenes where they learn to be sweet and...as close to comfortable with each other that two people who should be predator and prey can be.
ForJazz, you're right about the their anger toward each other at the beginning of the story....and that I wish the movie had been longer! ;)

I think what could have helped convey their relationship better is if in the scenes where they are talking to each other ( the meadow, her bedroom, in the trees...)we could have heard their conversations instead of just watched them talking. In those scenes, they seem to be totally engaged in each other, and that would have been a better way to show their blossoming romance.

ForJazz926 wrote:It may be different from the book...but I wouldn't really notice. All I know is that when he is at all "rough" with Bella in the movie...it makes me feel funny inside. :shock:

(I completely lost it when I read that post last night! :lol: :twisted: :lol: )
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

twilightsagaaddict wrote:For me, I think the biggest inconsistency is the lack of passion and tenderness between Edward and Bella in the movie. They both seem almost angry at each other. That's not what their relationship is all about. I wonder if its how the characters were written or how they were directed......
From what I heard, they actually changed a lot of the script because they (Catherine, Kristen, and Rob) felt that they were too "mushy". I remember in an interview Kristen even said that the lines were "embarrassing".
So I blame the actors and director for that one.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

From what I heard, they actually changed a lot of the script because they (Catherine, Kristen, and Rob) felt that they were too "mushy". I remember in an interview Kristen even said that the lines were "embarrassing".
So I blame the actors and director for that one.
I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere too and when I did I was like what the? It really makes me wonder what lines should have been in the movie from the book but weren't.

One thing that bugs me is Bella's response or lack of at some points. For example when she finds out that Edward's been visiting her at night & loves to watch her sleep & listen to her sleep talking because she says his name. They don't explain that at all! I loved Bella's reaction in the book and so I don't know if that was just cut in the editing process (it seems weird to me that she wouldn't have had some kind of reaction to it in the script) or if it was directing. Also her lack of response at Mikes comment about him not liking the fact that she's dating Edward. Come on she could have said something even if it was but out Mike. Those are the two I can think of & both of them just seem kind of akward parts because of the lack of reaction.

I agree w/most everything else that's been posted. Especially Edward honking for Bella when they go to school that first day. Come on! Edward is a gentelmen and would never do that! And then the Victoria at the prom thing. I understand why they did it to lead into the sequels but it's still really annoying!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

So many OBVIOUS mistakes..

...If Catherine did New Moon.. she'd make Jacob like, a bright pink wolf or some crap like that.

:cry:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart