Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby Jadey » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:04 am

mayawolf wrote:
who_needs_fangs? wrote:Chris won major brownie points from me when he understood the importance of the chapter "Stitches" and took the time to write it in himself. I'm optimistic about the direction of the movie now, but even more worried about the screenplay than I was before.


I didn't read about this? That is fantastic that he took the time for this, it shows he really wants to keep close to the true story. During this chapter is when carlisle revealed to Bella the reason Edward doesn't want to change her and it plays a role in the story from that point onward.



THEY WERE GOING TO LEAVE THAT SCENE OUT!! WHY?!!? And kudos to Chris for adding it in.. Im starting to get more optimistic about NM, just worried about the casts acting...
Image
^ by ForJazz
Image
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
User avatar
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle
 
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby shortstuff » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:12 am

Jadey wrote:
mayawolf wrote:
who_needs_fangs? wrote:Chris won major brownie points from me when he understood the importance of the chapter "Stitches" and took the time to write it in himself. I'm optimistic about the direction of the movie now, but even more worried about the screenplay than I was before.


I didn't read about this? That is fantastic that he took the time for this, it shows he really wants to keep close to the true story. During this chapter is when carlisle revealed to Bella the reason Edward doesn't want to change her and it plays a role in the story from that point onward.



THEY WERE GOING TO LEAVE THAT SCENE OUT!! WHY?!!? And kudos to Chris for adding it in.. Im starting to get more optimistic about NM, just worried about the casts acting...


yeah once i read this, i suddenly felt a lot better about NM being directed by him. this tells me that he GETS it. sometimes i feel like CH and MR didnt quite get the essence of the story... :roll:
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 am
Location: Canada

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby Jadey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 am

yeah, and I thought them being GIRLS, that they would get it and wanna show a lot of the lovie stuff, and portray it really nicely...
..
....but it seems like the guys are better at it then the chicks :)
Personally I blame Catherine for Twilight being screwed up.
But Im starting to luuuurve Chris
Image
^ by ForJazz
Image
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
User avatar
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle
 
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby Devious Cullen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:11 am

The more I read from Catherine, the more I dislike her. I was always a supporter of the movie and her, but I'm becoming less so of her now. The latest interview Q&A she did just showed how little she really got it. These ones in particular:

Twilightforest : If you had the opportunity to go back to the production of Twilight (aware of the story lines left out of the movie that the fans loved in the book) what major part of the book would you add or expand on?
CH: I think the film was about the right length. What did you miss?

Laura Cristiano: Why did Edward and Bella never actually say the words "I love you" in the film?
CH: For me, they said they loved each other in much stronger ways than actually saying the words.


becca_bby: while filming the movie, how did you deal with the difficulties of a tight budget? If you had your dream budget, what would you have done differently?
CH: In the Twilight Director's Journal -- I've included some of my detailed shot-lists -- because I really had to plan out each day almost down to the minute. One thing I really wanted to shoot was a beautiful underwater dream sequence that I planned to weave all through the film.


It's not about length, its about substance. What did we miss? o_o. The proper development of the relationship for one - getting to know eachother rather than going from strangers to omg I love you with nothing in between. And A DREAM SEQUENCE? All through the film??

Anyway.

On the other hand, the more I read about Chris, the more I like him. From what we've seen he gets it and is listening to fans. He's fighting for key scenes like Carlisle sewing up Bella. We know the Jacob jumping through Bella's window and the cliff diving is in. And to me seeing the wardrobe fittings, they all look improved from Twilight. Can't wait for more pictures from filming!
User avatar
Devious Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: The Mist

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby Jadey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:54 am

Devious - I TOTALLY AGREE.

I think Catherine is a bit loopy in the head.. she doesn't think things through...

And omg, I'm loving Chris at the moment..
I have so much faith in him, I know he'll do the right thing and try and stick to the book, and include as many scenes as possible that are in the books.
Im really amped for NM.
It's gunna make Twilight really look like the piece of crap that it was.
Image
^ by ForJazz
Image
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
User avatar
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle
 
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby xxxDarkMoonxxx » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 pm

I totally agree with all of you!

I used to love Catherine, but i truly beleive that she didn't understand the underlying meaning of the book. For one thing, i don't think she changed anything in the script herself. I think Stephenie did most of that. And the most beautiful, meaningful chapter in the book wasn't really even portrayed. If anything the meadow scene should have been a huge priority. It was the starting point for the series and they really screwed that one up. And what's with her wanting an underwater dream sequence? That makes absolutely no sense to the integuity and plot line of the series.

I love the movie and i'm so grateful that it was made, but once the novelty wore off i find more and more critical things to say about it, like the special effects. Come on, if a tv show like Smallville with a small budget can make things look awesome she could have done it too.

And i love Chris. I think the movie series can be redemed by him and once it gets better it can only get even better, especially if they keep uping the budget....hopefully.
xxxDarkMoonxxx
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:44 pm

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby Jadey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:05 pm

With that dream sequence shes talking about, when Bella thinks shes dying after James bit her.. there was something like Bella felt like she was being pushed under the water and whatnot...

...but the Catherine wanting to have parts of it all through the movie?!?
Nonsense..
Image
^ by ForJazz
Image
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
User avatar
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle
 
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby amethyst » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:49 am

mayawolf wrote:
who_needs_fangs? wrote:Chris won major brownie points from me when he understood the importance of the chapter "Stitches" and took the time to write it in himself. I'm optimistic about the direction of the movie now, but even more worried about the screenplay than I was before.


I didn't read about this? That is fantastic that he took the time for this, it shows he really wants to keep close to the true story. During this chapter is when carlisle revealed to Bella the reason Edward doesn't want to change her and it plays a role in the story from that point onward.

Can someone give me a link, please?
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby MommyJen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:22 am

Devious Cullen wrote:The more I read from Catherine, the more I dislike her. I was always a supporter of the movie and her, but I'm becoming less so of her now. The latest interview Q&A she did just showed how little she really got it. These ones in particular:

Twilightforest : If you had the opportunity to go back to the production of Twilight (aware of the story lines left out of the movie that the fans loved in the book) what major part of the book would you add or expand on?
CH: I think the film was about the right length. What did you miss?

Laura Cristiano: Why did Edward and Bella never actually say the words "I love you" in the film?
CH: For me, they said they loved each other in much stronger ways than actually saying the words.


becca_bby: while filming the movie, how did you deal with the difficulties of a tight budget? If you had your dream budget, what would you have done differently?
CH: In the Twilight Director's Journal -- I've included some of my detailed shot-lists -- because I really had to plan out each day almost down to the minute. One thing I really wanted to shoot was a beautiful underwater dream sequence that I planned to weave all through the film.


It's not about length, its about substance. What did we miss? o_o. The proper development of the relationship for one - getting to know eachother rather than going from strangers to omg I love you with nothing in between. And A DREAM SEQUENCE? All through the film??

Anyway.

On the other hand, the more I read about Chris, the more I like him. From what we've seen he gets it and is listening to fans. He's fighting for key scenes like Carlisle sewing up Bella. We know the Jacob jumping through Bella's window and the cliff diving is in. And to me seeing the wardrobe fittings, they all look improved from Twilight. Can't wait for more pictures from filming!


Seriously? A dream sequence underwater? I agree with the point about the meadow too... It was a pivotal point in their relationship (Bella even pointed that out before the date) and CH just decided to film it after their main shooting was done in Oregon? What the heck man...

So glad there is a new director.Sometimes, people are overly creative, they lose sight of the original pieces of work.
MommyJen
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:24 pm

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Postby older_twilight_fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:17 am

MommyJen wrote:
Devious Cullen wrote:The more I read from Catherine, the more I dislike her. I was always a supporter of the movie and her, but I'm becoming less so of her now. The latest interview Q&A she did just showed how little she really got it. These ones in particular:

Twilightforest : If you had the opportunity to go back to the production of Twilight (aware of the story lines left out of the movie that the fans loved in the book) what major part of the book would you add or expand on?
CH: I think the film was about the right length. What did you miss?

Laura Cristiano: Why did Edward and Bella never actually say the words "I love you" in the film?
CH: For me, they said they loved each other in much stronger ways than actually saying the words.


becca_bby: while filming the movie, how did you deal with the difficulties of a tight budget? If you had your dream budget, what would you have done differently?
CH: In the Twilight Director's Journal -- I've included some of my detailed shot-lists -- because I really had to plan out each day almost down to the minute. One thing I really wanted to shoot was a beautiful underwater dream sequence that I planned to weave all through the film.


It's not about length, its about substance. What did we miss? o_o. The proper development of the relationship for one - getting to know eachother rather than going from strangers to omg I love you with nothing in between. And A DREAM SEQUENCE? All through the film??

Anyway.

On the other hand, the more I read about Chris, the more I like him. From what we've seen he gets it and is listening to fans. He's fighting for key scenes like Carlisle sewing up Bella. We know the Jacob jumping through Bella's window and the cliff diving is in. And to me seeing the wardrobe fittings, they all look improved from Twilight. Can't wait for more pictures from filming!


Seriously? A dream sequence underwater? I agree with the point about the meadow too... It was a pivotal point in their relationship (Bella even pointed that out before the date) and CH just decided to film it after their main shooting was done in Oregon? What the heck man...

So glad there is a new director.Sometimes, people are overly creative, they lose sight of the original pieces of work.


I completely agree. I saw the movie "Thirteen" directed by Catherine and I thought it was very well done, really gritty and intense and sort of dark and depressing.

But the more I see of "Twilght", I think Catherine tried to give it too much of an "indie" vibe and feel. I grew tired of the shaky camera work and some of the strange camera angles and close-ups, not to mention the butchering of the meadow scene as everyone has mentioned here. The special features included a deleted scene from the meadow which showed a little more tenderness between Edward and Bella, the tentative first touches, etc. I was disappointed they didn't include that in the movie; it would only have taken a couple of extra minutes and it would have more accurately conveyed the depth of their growing love for one another. Thank God she didn't put in the "underwater dream sequence"! Are you kidding me? WTH?

I so hope that Chris Weitz stays true to the book and is able to capture the intensity of Edward and Bella's love for each other. I also hope he makes "New Moon" appear a little more epic and grand in scale, without being too mainstream or too blockbusterish (for lack of a better word) ;)
Image
Banner by TammyAZ
User avatar
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:48 am
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

PreviousNext

Return to The New Moon Movie

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest