A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
kayle
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1 ~ First Impressions

Post by kayle »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I did relate to her very quickly, she is a lot like me at that age. Very shy, not wanting to be in the center of things perfectly content with being with my books, very independent and taking care of others, very perceptive and a little bit clumsy – ok a lot clumsy.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie?

Renee - I thought was very selfish and immature, letting her only daughter worry about her instead of the other way around. Charlie - seems a lot like Bella in his shyness and even though she seemed to be taking care of him he did his part in taking care of her as much as he could (the snow chains for one).

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets?

I mostly liked Angela she seemed like the kind of person I would be friends with, I also liked Mike at first but not for long... I had mixed feelings about Jessica, I didn't know what to make of her. The others didn't leave that much of an impression on me.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward?

Since I already know what he is, I was more intrigued by him than anything else. I wanted to know everything about his life and his family.

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior?

I figured he was trying to keep his distance from Bella, so he wouldn't hurt her and wouldn't get too attached. Not really sure.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?

I was immediately hooked...
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?
Yes, I could see myself in Bella. I grew up with a blended family. Four of my five siblings had to go through a divorce of their two parents. I saw the whole issue of spending time with both of them. I became close with both of my parents first peoples. I was the same way she was at school. I just wanted to melt into the background and not be noticed.

I thought Renee was hysterical. My mom can be the same way, just not as flighty. She was making sure that Bella was really doing what she wanted to do regardless of what she herself wanted. I think Charlie is by far an amazing dad. He may not seem like it, but he's smart enough to give Bella the space that she needs. He already seems like a pro at raising a teenager, even though he's never had to do it.

From the get go, I thought that the guys were insane. Couldn't they just leave her alone for five minutes to get her thoughts together? Couldn't they give her a couple of days to make friends before they started to crush on her and get close??? I always felt something strange about Jess and I couldn't put my finger on it. But Angela was the one that I immediately fell in love with. I had a friend just like her growing up and I was so happy to see Bella find her.

The first time I read it, I was terrified of Edward. I was more intrigued by the entire family. Then to have her go into Bio and sit next to him, his reaction terrified me. I didn't know what to make of it. I was truly scared for Bella. I'd have gotten up and ran away half way through the class. But that's just me

Again I say, I would have gotten up and ran out of the room half way through class. I don't take so well to people hating me for no good reason. That or before he had the chance to leave I'd confront him. I have Kitten Tiger syndrome. I think I'm all big and bad and I get that confidence for a few seconds, but as soon as I do what I wanted to do, I'm terrified of the consequences.

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was?
I was hooked. I wanted to know what his problem was and why he couldn't just be a normal guy. Then to find out he's not normal at all... that was interesting.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
molsonsnobunny
Settled in Forks

Post by molsonsnobunny »

in away, the shyness definatly, i was really shy in highschool, and i sucked hardcore playing sports

charlie in a way reminded me of my dad, it seemed like that akward single dad, who seemed unsure on how to act, but gave alot of space
renee seemed alittle out there, trying to hard maybe... not for bellas sake, but for her own. i didnt really see her much of a mother figure at all/
i thought they were pretty much obnixious but i did like angela

intrigued.. defintaly wanted to know more about him.

i thought it was kinda unnecessary, i remember in highsschool not even the most popular kids who thought they were all that werent ever that rude,

no, i actually had to force myself to keep reading, i felt it went kindof slow in the beginning. .. i get after reading the entire thing, that the beginning was necessary,
TeamEmmit
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamEmmit »

I did relate with Bella because I felt like I saw everything different than people around me. Also, I was kind of my own parent cause my mom was kind of spacey and my dad didn't live with me. She is also observant and always figuring things out in her head, which I also do.

Renee seems very caring. Charlie seems like he is a "hold it all in" kind of guy.

I can't decide if they are really being friendly or just interested because she is big news in a small town. I mean if she was really charismatic, maybe they would be attracted to her because of that but she seems super shy so what other reason, besides her newness, would they have for flocking to her.

I saw the movie first so I already knew what was going on. I think that mystery about him definitely makes you want to know more.

I would have thought like Bella, that he was mean.

It made me want to read more. The detail definitely kept me interested.
oh_jasper12
Settled in Forks

Post by oh_jasper12 »

I'm trying to remember back to the first time I read Twilight

1. Did you relate to Bell right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with?

I kind of did. My best friend is really quite and shy when she gets around a lot of people she doesn't know, so I understood that part of her, and I'm super clumsy.

I really didn't like Renee as a mother, she seemed more like Bella's friend, which I thought was a little irresopnsible. I really liked Charlie though, even though he's quiet and seem kind of awkward at times, I really like his as a father.

I got a bit annoyed for Bella with all the attention she was getting. I liked Angela, but everyone else just seemed kind of annoying. I mean, I know that everyone reading knows that Bella doesn't want the attention but I just wanted to be like "hey, Bella doesn't want to be paraded around!"

Intrigued! I mean, part of it is that on the back of the book you know that Edward is a vampire, and you're dying to know how long it will take Bella to figure it out

It only made me want to know more about Edward

No, I was hooked from the back of the book where it told me Edward was a vampire and Bella was going to fall in love with him, so I kept reading, but the first time around the first almost 200 pages were so slow for me because all I wanted was for Bella to hurry up and figure out what I already knew
Kaitlyn8
Settled in Forks

Post by Kaitlyn8 »

I could relate to how uncomfortable i guess you could say and shy she was. She reacted probably exactly like i would if i was going to a new school.
Renee- She seemed like the type of parent that wants to know everything and worries all the time. But also she seems kind of spontaneous and very happy.
Charlie- He reminded me of my dad in a way. He keeps his space but you can always tell he cares.

Erik seemed nice but Bella kind of reacted like she was annoyed so thats kind of how i felt too.
Jessica seemed nice but I felt the only reason she went to lunch with Bella was to like prove something to her friends and to her other peers
Even though Bella thought Mike was really nice i didnt particularly like him he seemed almost too nice. Like he was trying to hard

I was intrigued. I really wanted to know why he didnt talk to her and why he was being such an Why are we talking about a donkey?. It seemed weird that he had such strong feeling about getting away from her after one day and only one class with her.
I didnt' really know what to think. It was so odd i had no clue.
It did hook me because i really wanted to know what happened with Edward and Bella but i didnt really like the book until later on.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Did you relate to Bella right away? If so, what part of her did you identify with? Yes, I relate to the fact that she doesn't feel like she fit in anywhere. I felt that way in high school and I still feel that way at times.

2. What were your first impressions of Renee and Charlie? I couldn't understand why Renee was letting her move in with her Dad so far away. That preoccupied my thoughts so disbelief was my first impression of Renee. Charlie I thought was cool. He didn't hover.

3. What were your first impressions of the friends Bella meets? Eric was way to eager, Mike seemed really nice, Jessica seemed a little snobby, I liked Angela right away.

4. Were you scared or intrigued by Edward? Intrigued I agreed with Angela's comment about wishing the Cullen's would adopt her

5. What did you think of Edward's odd behavior? I was so confused I had no idea why he acted that way

6. Did this chapter hook you on the book or were you still trying to see what the fuss was? I was hooked I wanted to see why he acted that way. I felt the same pull to find out more about Edward that Bella did.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

I did relate to Bella, I understood how she felt with the whole divorced parent thing. How it feels to have to go to the other parents house, even when you really don't want to. I also understood how and why she was doing it, I would do anything for my mom including moving in with my dad if it meant she could have been happy with her new hubby. Those people who are raised for the most part by one parent have special bond with that one parent. Not so much mother daughter, but more like friends who look out for each other. (That is how I felt anyway)

Renee - I thought she was kinda crazy, but in a fun way. I can see her being like, lets go on vacation spur of the moment and enjoying herself with out any hesitation.
Charlie - The dad who loves his kids, family, and friends unconditionally, but wont admit it.

Jessica - Was okay, she seemed like the type of person who is friends with you because she thinks she will get something out of it.
Mike - Normal teenage boy, wants what he cant have
Angela - I loved her, she seemed genuine

Intrigued, I wanted to know what he was thinking.

I knew the basic story, vampire / girl fall in love, but the whole smell thirst thing did not a cure to me. I just wanted to know why he was being so rude to Bella.

I saw the movie first, but I'm not a reader, so it had me that first chapter. I was hooked!
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
cdinh
Settled in Forks

Post by cdinh »

I didnt really relate to her.. shes a completley different person than me.

Well, Charlie seemed like someone whos a lone wolf, and Renee
seemed outgoing.

Well jessica seemed like a total b*tch,angela seemed nice, and mike
seemed to clingy.

Intruigued, he seemed pretty mysterious

I could tell her blood was too much for him... partly because the back of the
book says something like " There was a part of him- I dont know how dominant
that part may be(in the book she acutally says potent)- that thirsted for my blood.

Basically, i was still trying to see what the fuss was. After that, I was hooked.
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

Not in the least. I'm plain-looking and I suppose I'm 'unpopular', but I have some friends, for goodness' sake, and I don't whine (all the time...). Also, I love the cold. I love the rain. I love Washington. I don't call my dad by his first name. I might kill myself if I had to live with a slow modem.
They suffered from Bella's negative viewpoint, I think.
Nice, but really over-the-top with the welcoming thing. My school is smaller than theirs, and when we get new students it's not like everyone's like, "SQUEE! NEW STUDENT! *glomp*". More of a, "oh look a new kid. hi, new kid... *ignores new kid*" sort of thing. Maybe it's because we get new kids all the time- stupid oil&gas boom- but still. Bella's welcome seemed a little extreme.
Anyway, yeah, her new friends seemed nice, especially Jessica- I still don't see how she's a backstabby, status-seeking, heartless gossip. But that's just me.
I read the back of the book and knew he was a vampire. I thought he was acting like a prat, though.
See above.
I wouldn't say I was hooked, merely interested. And wanting to see what all the hype was about. And wondering why Quinn- who read it first- stayed up till three in the morning to finish, and then asked our cousin for the second book.