Chapter 4: Gesture

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 4: Gesture

Post by spiritwolf32 »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?
Leaving a thought unfinished is a common thing when someone gets into their thoughts deep enough. She was probably jsut thinking to herself since she knew Jacob didn't want to change things anyway.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?
To support Leah.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?
Well to him it is the worst things just to become a vampire. So of course having a real honeymoon would be awful to him.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?
I think the Volvo hehe

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?
She thinks that maybe they all can come together instead so she can keep them in her life and that everyone will be happy and taken care of.
loveuccs
Wandering Through Town

Post by loveuccs »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?
Seriously, I don't know.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?
The hair was for Leah, supporting her. And the wedding, she went for Seth, her son alone in a houseful of vampires + Billy + charlie.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?
Jelausy 1st, and safety 2nd.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?
Knowing Edward, he would buy a new car just for that. But in case that he behave and didn't, maybe Carlisle's car.

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?
She knew she will come back.
It's too green. An alien planet!
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I don't really remember this line, so I'd have to check and see what else was around it. But I think she figured that Jacob would come back to claim his birthright someday. Jacob isn't a follower, by nature. She might have also been contemplating her approaching birth into those "legends and magic." I think she is thinking of Sam as more of a "for now" leader...she knows he's not the best one to be in charge if their fates are to intertwine.

Solidarity was what I figured - as suggested in the book. Or maybe she pulled a Britney Spears because she was having a hard time with her situation. I think she attended so that she could be there to watch Seth. I think she has a bit of the third wife in her - and she was willing to be there if needed.

A few reasons. Knowing that Carlisle has changed vampires successfully because of his self control - I think Jacob has faith that Bella will not die in that process, whereas he thinks it's impossible for Edward not to kill her during sex. I also think he is imagining that this is Edward's idea - not Bella's, and is imagining Edward as this predator who is only after one thing. And...I don't think he can help himself from feeling jealous. I think he was imagining Bella and Edward's relationship differently - more of a platonic attraction. He liked being the only one who could kiss her passionately and make love to her without hurting her - he doesn't like to think of Edward in that situation.

The Aston Martin - the special occasion car, of course. ;)

It's the first time she's seen them all together - vampires, wolves, humans...all in one place. And they all look happy and content, because they are there for the same reason - Edward and Bella. I think she's hopeful that it can be like this in the future - that she can somehow glue them all together and they can coexist.

Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Pass :D

I don't know maybe it was an impulse decision? She went to the wedding to look out for Seth. She doesn't trust the Vampires enough to let her son be with them. She's also probably feeling over protective, and that she might lose him, like she lost her husband

Hes thinking of Edward being with Bella in an very intimate way.. and Jacob still loves Bella, so I think it's jealousy.. and probably thinks Edward would hurt her.

Deep red Lamborghini.

She sees the different kind of love. She knows that she can love Edward, and Jacob - differently.
And she doesn't have to feel like she needs to choose. And she feels like everything in her life at this moment is perfect.. And knows that she might want to stay human for longer, so she can trust that she will be able to come home safely and spend time with her family aswell as being happily married with Edward.
Last edited by Jadey on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
jawsuhlin
Settled in Forks
Location: "You really ought to give Iowa a try!" - The Music Man

Post by jawsuhlin »

Her knack for predicting outcomes made me think she might end up with Alice's premonition when she turned, but I was wrong. I'm not sure why she didn't finish her thought, but it could have just been because she was distracted or didn't feel it was her place.

My guess is that Bella was right and it was to show some sort of support to Leah. Sue seems like the kind of mom who would willingly give up her hair to make her heart broken daughter feel even a tiny bit better.

I think Jacob had accepted that Edward loves Bella and would do anything for her. This information made it seem like Edward didn't love Bella as much as Jacob did. I think realizing that he forfeited to a man who didn't really love Bella like he thought infuriated him.

Oh, I'm sure it was the Aston Martin Vanquish. I can't imagine why it would have been anything else. It's Edward's baby- until he gets a real one.

She thinks that her confusing love triangle might end up okay in the end, I assume. It's odd that she finds hope in this despite the recent run in with Jake. However, Bella has proven to be optimistic about the strangest things, and often right in her optimism.
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I always thought that was the end of her thought... she'd just trailed off. If it wasn't, maybe she just felt distracted, or that it really wasn't her burden to carry.

I guessed it was to support Leah in having to have short hair.

Well, he makes it seem as though he doesn't want her to get hurt (which is an okay reason, really... it's just worry), but I think it's because he is a little disturbed about Edward and Bella being together in that way. It's glaringly obvious that he's not over her, and is uncomfortable with the idea.

The Aston Martin Vanquish, I'm sure. Edward loves that car. haha.

I think she believes that now that she's married Edward, and she feels comfortable with her life now, that things might really end up the right way.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
twilightfan1
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan1 »

I don't think that she deliberately ended there for a reason...just that when your thinking of things you go from one thought process to the other. She went onto Billy Black after that so maybe she thought Jacob would be a better chief of legends following from Billy's example.

I think Bella was right, that she did it to help Leah through her transition, and because of how much she loves her children. Now that her husband has died they're all she has left. I think that's why she also attended the wedding. Seth went, so therefore she did. She loves and sticks by her children.

I think it bothers him more because it doesn't seem plausible to him that they could have a real honeymoon. He made it clear in the tent in eclipse that he was smug about the fact that Bella and him could sleep together but her and Edward couldn't without killing her.Therefore whereas the change won't kill her his concept of the 'real honeymoon' would, so it bothers him more. Also he's had much more time to adjust to Bella becoming a vampire.

I never really thought about it! i guess if i do, it seems in my head to be Carlisle's mercedes.

I think she feels happy because it gives her hope that her family will be ok without her to some extent but i think mostly that it's because of the statement when she says she can see 'so many different types of love'. it gives her hope that she can keep Jacob and Edward i think. She always did want Jacob to be her family.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Isn't this sort of common for Bella? To have so much on her mind and then trail off. I think she realized that she couldn't do anything about it, and that it was Jacob's choice. And she probably got distracted by other things, it was her wedding day so she had a thousand things on her mind.

I think she cut of her hair to support Leah and help her trough a difficult time. And I think she attended the wedding because of Seth. He really wanted to be there for his friend Edward (that is so sweet, by the way, how they really bonded in Eclipse), and Sue did not want him to be alone in house full of vampires.

Firstly I think Jacob is jealous. Even if Bella is now married to Edward, I don't think he ever thought about her and Edward becoming more intimate. He wanted to believe that their relationship were not as physical as it actually was. And he wishes that it was him, instead of Edward. And then there is also the issue with safety. Jacob is afraid that Edward will hurt her if they have a "real honeymoon". He has in some ways finally realized that she will become a vampire, but he is scared that Edward will kill her. But I think Jacob needs to mind his own business. This is something so private, and it should stay just between Bella and Edward.

I am sure that it was Edward's special occasion car; the Aston Martin Vanquish. This wedding is the biggest day of his existence, so of course he would use his favorite car.

She is seeing them all together. Her mother and father able to get along. The vampires and the werewolves. And they are all happy for her and Edward. And she is hoping that they can all live side by side in the future, even if she might not be able to spend that much time with her human family. And of course she is hopeful because she knows that she has made the right decision, and that she is finally tied to Edward and never have to let him go again. She is on her way to a new and exciting future.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

I honestly can't remember the full context of this thought, but maybe it was in relation to her own pending change and she didn't like to think of that change in the context of Jacob.

I think she cut it off in solidarity with her daughter. She attended the wedding to be with Seth & for Charlie.

I think subconsciously he never believed human Bella would have a sexual experience. Maybe he found solace in that fact; or was worried she would be hurt beyond Edward's ability to save her.

I guess the Aston Martin but I do love the thought that they used the Volvo...that car is so much a part of their relationship history!

She sees how Renee & Charlie support and care for each other and knows they will continue to have each other even if/when she's not in their lives anymore. She also sees how her two families can successfully interact with each other and be happy.

Image Image Image
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought? Maybe she hoped Jacob would claim his birth right some day. I really didn't put much thought into it.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend? I guess to show her daughter support??? She wanted to keep an eye on her son is the only reason I can think of.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two? At first I thought that he thought of it as really immoral for a human and I vamp to do it. But then I realized later in his book that he was scared that Edward would hurt her. I guess he thought that if Edward and Bella had sex he would kill her. He'd rather have her alive in some form than dead.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used? I thought it was probably one of the Mercedes.

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch? All of her family was happy and had one another.