Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Movie Inconsistencies?

Post by ForJazz926 »

I agree about the finger bite - bad on Catherine's part to say she wishes it made it in. Totally different vibe - and NOT the same vamp/human relationship that exists in the book. Now did it make me feel funny in my pants? Yes. But if it were in the movie, it would have changed everything.

Edward did say a few modern things at times - usually with a little bit of sarcasm, like when he said, "friends don't let friends drive drunk" in Twilight the book. I thought this had the same vibe as the google line from the movie - which was why I loved that google line. And for the last time...Edward DOES say "sex." And there is nothing dirty or inappropriate about that "sex/money" line in the movie. Edward is not immature enough to think that there is anything wrong with saying the word in that context. Only a juvenile person would have found anything wrong with using the word "sex" in that context - like some teenagers giggling behind their health texts - and Edward isn't like that. So the line was fine.

Think about it - Edward is not innocent. He knows human nature from the thoughts of murderers to the human instincts present in lovemaking - from his own family members included. He knows that sex exists and he's not going to giggle at it or think anything is inappropriate about mentioning it in regards to people's thoughts. It's common, it's the truth, and that's all. It's just a word - just like any others.

Edward also swears in the books. The first time is when he saves Bella from the van - right off the bat in the first book. It says something like, "a low oath," - which means a curse. He swears when he's mad or frustrated - just like any person would. He may be polite and articulate - but he's not some Shakespeare tool. I'm glad the movie didn't make him out that way - or it would have been SO easy to make fun of. It shows that he's complex this way.

Image Image
MommyJen
Settled in Forks

Post by MommyJen »

ringswraith wrote:I think the biggest flaw was in the deleted scenes, the one where Bella lets Edward bite her finger.

I don't like how the director claims she loved the scene and wished it made it into the movie... It's so out of character for both of them (not to mention the whole "vampire biting human equals bad" concept), if it had made it in, heads would've rolled.
I agree! I think that statement alone epitomizes why she should not have directed this movie. She is a very creative person and I don't think she is the kind who can fall into sync with another creative person's groove. I think that is demonstrated by how different the characters seem to be. I do credit the actors a little bit, but actors are meant to adapt to characters. They take their direction from the director, so the responsibility ultimately lies there.

The fact that she thinks a finger bite is something that Edward and Bella would do while she was still human is very disturbing because Edward would NEVER take that kind of risk so early on.

The one other thing I didn't like about Edward was his hyperactiveness in the woods when Bella tells him she knows he is a vampire. It's just awkward.

Oh, how I hope NM has better direction....
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

Edward being a little bit modern doesn't bother me. I don't actually think honking a horn is necessarily rude, I think it's just like I'm here because he wouldn't want to be so forward as to come in (even though he's been in her bedroom ;) )

I have no problem with him saying the word sex... as a 17 year old in the early 20th Century he would surely have been thinking about it...don't most men? It's just that he didn't find the right woman at the time and he hasn't been in love with any vampires so he wasn't able to experience it, but it doesn't mean it didn't cross his mind. Besides he has two "brothers" with "wives"

I think it's an easy mistake to confuse being old-fashioned with being innocent or naive. I think I'm old-fashioned and have old-fashioned ideas but I'll say sex (oh dear going off on a tangent here...must stop :oops: )

I think the problem with CH is that she was too focused on directing another teenage story, not an epic romance so that's why there were so many scenes at the high school. Also what was the point of the scene in the diner where the waitress asks Charlie if any progress was made on Waylon's case. We would have been much better served with the cut Esme and Carlisle scene which is so important for new moon and beyond.

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
SuperVixen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by SuperVixen »

elizabella wrote:I think the problem with CH is that she was too focused on directing another teenage story, not an epic romance so that's why there were so many scenes at the high school. Also what was the point of the scene in the diner where the waitress asks Charlie if any progress was made on Waylon's case. We would have been much better served with the cut Esme and Carlisle scene which is so important for new moon and beyond.
I whole heartedly agree here. Although I think CH seems like a cool director I honestly do not believe she did Twilight justice. Its ok, but it could have been SO much better if she had focused on the Romance and not the Teen aspect.

Also aside from the diner scene I think the scene when Bella enters the kitchen then leaves just as fast was pretty extraneous too. We ended up with a couple wasted scenes (IMO) on stuff thats not so important when that space could have been filled with something from the loooong list of stuff that didn't make it in. Very frustrating. I cannot wait to see what Chris Weitz does. Good luck to him, as no one is ever fully happy anywy, but still!
Nothing said Happy Valentine’s Day like a big shiny &%@* unicorn
spicey16

Post by spicey16 »

im new to this thread so it's prolly been done to death but here i go lol
- billy being able to drive
- edward climbing trees
- he could have been a little more "old fashioned" i dont care about the sex/money but in the movie bella says "you talk like your from a diff time" and my husbend who has not read the books says what is she talkin about lol. he doesnt say anything from a diff time that i notice
- bella is a vegitarian (cute addition)
- most all of the cute E&B sences were lost
- bella was too modern
- charlie was an alcoholic
and most importantly the dazzling was no where to be found!!

I think i had more to say but my hundred pound boxer wont stay off my laps o i guesss iam done
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Just because Charlie drank beer, that doesn't make him an alcoholic.

Sorry, just wanted to point that out.
spicey16

Post by spicey16 »

i have had this arguement before.. watch the movies.. everytime you see him he is drinking.. correct we dont know if he was addicted so i guess i should rephrase saying i dont think they could have added that to the movie. its one thing for him and billy to have a beer but i felt that they portrayed him as an alcoholic so take it or leave it that is my opinion. it was an unnecessary addition.
spicey16

Post by spicey16 »

i rememebered my biggest inconsistency. (and i put the dog out lol). the worst mistake that will change the rest of the series, namely jacobs carefree rule breaking side..
he didnt tell her the whole story!! how is he going to jump into her room and say "you already know what i am. i told you on the beach!!!"
SuperVixen

Post by SuperVixen »

Well he did tell her about the Wolves though.....but thats a good point to make. I was mad at that whole buying a book addition to the storyline! That wasted time could have been used on something else!
Nothing said Happy Valentine’s Day like a big shiny &%@* unicorn
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

spicey16 wrote:i have had this arguement before.. watch the movies.. everytime you see him he is drinking.. correct we dont know if he was addicted so i guess i should rephrase saying i dont think they could have added that to the movie. its one thing for him and billy to have a beer but i felt that they portrayed him as an alcoholic so take it or leave it that is my opinion. it was an unnecessary addition.
"Every time" we see him?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, we see the "Vitamin R" at two points in the film:

- when Billy and Jacob come over after Edward leaves (the "complication" scene)
- when Bella comes to tell Charlie that she's got a date with Edward (while he cleans his gun)

Did I miss any? That's only two scenes.