Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Movie Inconsistencies?

Post by roseaurora »

I also think that movie Bella and book Bella are way different.

In the movie I never got the impression that Bella is selfless. When she tells Edward that she could tell her mom was unhappy being away from Phil to stay home with her and that was why she moved to Forks, he says "and now you are unhappy." In the movie, she asks about his eye color in response, lol, but in the book, she says something like "so? haven't you heard, life isn't fair?" or something similar- showing that she is putting her mom's happiness before her own. But the biggest example of this is in the dress shopping scene. In the movie, she acts so uninterested in helping Angela and Jessica pick out dresses, but in the book she talks to them and helps pick out dresses much more actively. She came across as kind of rude in the movie... like she just needed the ride to town and was just faking wanting to help her friends find dresses.

[EDIT to add: yes, she was selfless in going to save her mom from James and in being sure to lead James away from Charlie, but those scenes couldn't have been changed without rewriting the story... plus, those show normal amounts of selflessness (like what would be expected) and not the excessively selfless character that Bella possess in the book. ]

And I just wanted to say that I don't think Charlie came across like an alcoholic in the movie at all! I think there is only one scene where he is actually drinking beer (I could be wrong) but there are at least 8 scenes where he is not drinking beer ;)
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

Sorry very random but all this talk of Charlie and beer suddenly made me think of the Truman show how his "best friend" always shows up with a six pack.

Maybe it was just a characterization thing, I don't think he's an alcoholic at all. I think Charlie is a really good guy and is far too responsible to be an alcoholic. BTW, did you see all the pictures of most of the cast smoking! Goodness gracious, don't they know, tobacco kills. :evil:

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
SuperVixen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by SuperVixen »

elizabella wrote:BTW, did you see all the pictures of most of the cast smoking! Goodness gracious, don't they know, tobacco kills. :evil:
Yeah and Kristen is only 18, WTH?! She doesn't look like she just picked it up too. I didn't think people still thought it was cool to smoke....maybe I'm wrong.
Nothing said Happy Valentine’s Day like a big shiny &%@* unicorn
twilightsagaaddict
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

ringswraith wrote:
spicey16 wrote:i have had this arguement before.. watch the movies.. everytime you see him he is drinking.. correct we dont know if he was addicted so i guess i should rephrase saying i dont think they could have added that to the movie. its one thing for him and billy to have a beer but i felt that they portrayed him as an alcoholic so take it or leave it that is my opinion. it was an unnecessary addition.
"Every time" we see him?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, we see the "Vitamin R" at two points in the film:

- when Billy and Jacob come over after Edward leaves (the "complication" scene)
- when Bella comes to tell Charlie that she's got a date with Edward (while he cleans his gun)

Did I miss any? That's only two scenes.
rings, I believe you are correct that those are the only 2 scenes.

I actually think adding the "Vitamin R" was a nice touch in reference to the state of Washington.

More to the point of Billy's "drinking", most legal adults, when they get together to watch a game, do have a few beers. I think it brings more of a realty to his character. JMO...
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

twilightsagaaddict wrote:
ringswraith wrote:
spicey16 wrote:i have had this arguement before.. watch the movies.. everytime you see him he is drinking.. correct we dont know if he was addicted so i guess i should rephrase saying i dont think they could have added that to the movie. its one thing for him and billy to have a beer but i felt that they portrayed him as an alcoholic so take it or leave it that is my opinion. it was an unnecessary addition.
"Every time" we see him?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, we see the "Vitamin R" at two points in the film:

- when Bella comes to tell Charlie that she's got a date with Edward (while he cleans his gun)

rings, I believe you are correct that those are the only 2 scenes.

I actually think adding the "Vitamin R" was a nice touch in reference to the state of Washington.

More to the point of Billy's "drinking", most legal adults, when they get together to watch a game, do have a few beers. I think it brings more of a realty to his character. JMO...
How does it relate to Washington?

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

Vitamin R is the slang, local, name for that brand of beer, which is brewed in Washington I believe. Billy Burke lived in the area and knew that so he suggested adding it to the scene.

Apparently it is not local anymore... but the legend lives on, haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainier_Brewing_Company
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

MommyJen wrote:
ringswraith wrote:I think the biggest flaw was in the deleted scenes, the one where Bella lets Edward bite her finger.

I don't like how the director claims she loved the scene and wished it made it into the movie... It's so out of character for both of them (not to mention the whole "vampire biting human equals bad" concept), if it had made it in, heads would've rolled.

I agree! I think that statement alone epitomizes why she should not have directed this movie. She is a very creative person and I don't think she is the kind who can fall into sync with another creative person's groove. I think that is demonstrated by how different the characters seem to be. I do credit the actors a little bit, but actors are meant to adapt to characters. They take their direction from the director, so the responsibility ultimately lies there.

The fact that she thinks a finger bite is something that Edward and Bella would do while she was still human is very disturbing because Edward would NEVER take that kind of risk so early on.
Oh, how I hope NM has better direction....

I posted the message below several days ago on one of the gazillion New Moon threads. It was in response to Catherine Hardwicke's comments that she wanted to weave some strange "underwater dream sequence" throughout Twilight. Thank God that didn't pan out! I know Catherine had a love and passion for these books that's pretty rare for a director these days, but sometimes I just wonder...what on earth was she thinking?

I saw the movie "Thirteen" directed by Catherine and I thought it was very well done, really gritty and intense and sort of dark and depressing.

But the more I see of "Twilght", I think Catherine tried to give it too much of an "indie" vibe and feel. I grew tired of the shaky camera work and some of the strange camera angles and close-ups, not to mention the butchering of the meadow scene as everyone has mentioned here. The special features included a deleted scene from the meadow which showed a little more tenderness between Edward and Bella, the tentative first touches, etc. I was disappointed they didn't include that in the movie; it would only have taken a couple of extra minutes and it would have more accurately conveyed the depth of their growing love for one another. Thank God she didn't put in the "underwater dream sequence"! Are you kidding me? WTH?

I so hope that Chris Weitz stays true to the book and is able to capture the intensity of Edward and Bella's love for each other. I also hope he makes "New Moon" appear a little more epic and grand in scale, without being too mainstream or too blockbusterish (for lack of a better word).
Banner by TammyAZ
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

ForJazz926 wrote:
Edward did say a few modern things at times - usually with a little bit of sarcasm, like when he said, "friends don't let friends drive drunk" in Twilight the book. I thought this had the same vibe as the google line from the movie - which was why I loved that google line. And for the last time...Edward DOES say "sex." And there is nothing dirty or inappropriate about that "sex/money" line in the movie. Edward is not immature enough to think that there is anything wrong with saying the word in that context. Only a juvenile person would have found anything wrong with using the word "sex" in that context - like some teenagers giggling behind their health texts - and Edward isn't like that. So the line was fine.

Think about it - Edward is not innocent. He knows human nature from the thoughts of murderers to the human instincts present in lovemaking - from his own family members included. He knows that sex exists and he's not going to giggle at it or think anything is inappropriate about mentioning it in regards to people's thoughts. It's common, it's the truth, and that's all. It's just a word - just like any others.

Yeah, I know 'sex' isn't a 'dirty' word, I think we all know that. What my problem is was that he never said it in the book.. he stared clear of it. The first time he said it was in Breaking Dawn.. and he said 'sexy' in Eclipse. I don't care if people thought it was dirty or not. It's so unlike Edward in the book. Which annoyed me
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

ringswraith wrote:
"Every time" we see him?

when she gets home from the field trip and before the prom.. everytime he's at home maybe? i shouldnt say he is an alcoholic however i still felt it was an unnecessary addition...
anyway, jacob didnt tell her what the cullens were or anything so he didnt technically break the treaty. because the treaty was that they wouldnt expose them, so in a way he did but in a way he didnt. then another annoyance she went all the way to port angles, got the book, looked at one picture and googles it!! couldnt she have googles the whole thing?? wasted moments....
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I just didn't like the use of the word "alcoholic." That implies a drinking problem, and Charlie clearly doesn't have one.

I think the beer is there to illustrate that Charlie is just an ordinary man- drinks beer, has guns, watches sports on TV... Too bad they didn't work in anything about his fishing habit. :)

The whole "buys book, sees two words, Googles the rest" thing bothers me, too. Moreso my niece- she was whispering "She never went in (the bookstore)!" when we watched the movie in the theaters. Both times. :lol: