Chapter 8: Waiting for the Damn Fight to Start Already

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Chapter 8: Waiting for the Damn Fight to Start Already

Post by edward x lover »

1. There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship?
Yes. It helped show the connection between the werewolf and his soul mate.

2. Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date?
I don't think Jacob could because if you truly love someone even if you can't have them, it doesn't change anything. I don't think he could possibly look at another girl without feeling like he betrayed himself.

3. Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam?
I sided with Sam. If thats what Bella wanted then let it happen. She is not an innocent victim. She chose her own fate.

4. How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness?
I was honestly in shock. I couldn't say what I was feeling at the moment.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship?
I understood that right now he is just looking out for her. He doesn't care about all the intimite stuff that is suppose to happy in a relationship...He is just taking care of her and making sure she has what she needs. Hes being like her big brother..but someday he will be able to tell her about the imprinting.

2. Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date?
I mean yeah Jacob should move on, and try to date other people since, obviously Bella isnt going to be with him..but i understand why he wouldnt date. He loves bella, and every person that he see's isnt her.

3. Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam?
I mean I dont really think that they broke any treaty.

4. How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness?
Like totally freak out. I would freak out too though. I mean he see's her one day, and then what a few weeks later she looks the way she does...seriously, it would freak anyone out.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
~*teamswitzerland*~
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ~*teamswitzerland*~ »

I think it explained more about the whole imprinting thing. Up until that scene, I thought imprinting was a way to find your soul mate and fall in love at first sight with them. Now I realize why they always say "It's not love at first sight", because in many cases, such as Quil's, it isn't love at first. It blossoms into love, but it isn't romantic love right from the beginning. This scene completely shows that Quil loves Claire like a little sister, and now I'm not as shocked about him imprinting on her.

Maybe, but Jacob had to go and be stubborn and decide that, even if she's obviously taken for life, he will still pursue her. Nice, Jacob, nice.
I don't know if I'm allowed to refer to a part in the book that is later on and hasn't been discussed yet, but I will anyway. For those who have finished BD (hopefully almost all of you out there!), I'm thinking of the part where Jacob goes for a drive and goes to the park.... that scene makes it pretty clear why he doesn't attempt to date anyone who isn't Bella.

No. I was totally on Sam's side. Bella was fully educated as to what was going to happen to her, and she agreed to it anyway. Plus, like the first person who responded on this thread said, the intent of the treaty is for the Cullens not to bite a human with the intent of killing them. The Cullens just want Bella to be a part of their family. One final thought: I don't think Jacob cared so much about the situation because he wanted to protect the treaty, I think it had something to do with the fact that he loved Bella and didn't want to let her go.

Well, obviously I couldn't know for sure what his reaction would be, because I didn't see the chapter title, because, leave it to Jacob Black to not bother to put in a table of contents! Lol, I really wanted to point that out. After reading about what he wanted to do to the Cullens when he thought they killed her, I started laughing because he was so far off the mark. I wondered if he would still want to kill the Cullens anyways. :lol:

One last thing: I loved Jacob's preface: Life sucks, and then you die. Yeah, I should be so lucky. :lol: :lol: :lol: LOLOL!
Taylor Lautner. (drool.) That is all. :)
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Yes, I think it really showed how the imprinting works. It made us see that the relationship between Quil and 3 year old Claire wasn't something sick and disgusting. He was like the world's best big brother to her. He would do anything for her, and care for her all her life. It was really sweet to see how he could be so patient and have so much fun spending time with her.

I can understand Jacob's reason for not wanting to date. He still wasn't over Bella, and he would just compare every girl to her and no one could match Bella in his eyes. But I still think that he should try to move on. Not necessarily head straight into dating, but try and forget his feelings for Bella at least. She had made her choice very clear by marrying Edward. She loved Edward and wanted to be with him. It was time for Jacob to realize that.

I totally sided with Sam on this one. Bella had made the choice to join the Cullens and become a vampire. She was not a victim of an unsuspected attack in a dark alley. She fully knew what she was getting herself into, and she wanted it. The pack was there to protect human life. But they had to take into consideration that the Cullens had never broken the treaty until this point. And they only did it now because Bella wanted them to. So I think Sam made the right decision here. And I was so happy that Jacob had not assumed his role as the Alpha. I think that would have had horrible consequences both for the Cullens and the wolves. Jacob wasn't seeing straight because of his hate for Edward.

I thought he would freak. That he would snap, and try to kill Edward immidiately. I'm sure that he only blamed Edward for this, seeing him as the monster. He wouldn't want to see that Bella had made love with Edward out of her own free will.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

Well, I really try to be ok with imprinting. I just really wish Stephanie hadn't gone there at all. I know she did it so Jacob could have a happy ending with Renesmee but I have a hard time with it. I just think that Jacob and Nessie could have had a happy enough ending without the imprinting. I know intellectually that it isn't sexual perversion and that Quil isn't aging so he and Claire will be technically the same age when she falls in love with him but man it still really creeps me out. :shock:

Quil doesn't understand because of the imprinting. It is a sort of blow off self centered remark in my opinion. Jacob is broken hearted and people don't just fall out of love like that.

Yes, I agree with Jacob.

Absolute Craziness! He didn't disappoint! :lol:
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

It gave me a better insight as to what Claire means to Quil at this point in time and, honestly, the entire interaction made it seem less creepy.

Jacob doesn't seem like the type of guy who would date just to date. At this point, it wouldn't be fair to the girl he tried to date.

According to the letter of the law, Jacob is right. But I did have to side with Sam on this; at this point the treaty doesn't cover the relationship between the Cullens and the Quileutes.

I thought he would freak out! I mean, it's almost worse (to him) than anything he could have imagined for Bella.

Image Image Image
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

1. There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship? A lot better it wasn't so creepy after that. After hearing Bella explain how Sam and Emily are together it kinda grossed me out especially since I have 2 little girls. But after hearing who Quil treated her it made me a lot more comfortable. (after the second time I read it) (the first time I read it I was to angry to pay much attention)

2. Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date? Yes I think Quil was right. I really do think that Jacob should have listened to Bella and been dating other girls all along. It would have saved him a lot of heartbreak. Besides the girl he could imprint on is out there some where not gonna find her sitting aroung pining for Bella. I understand what he is saying but it's just because he's not trying just like he always accused Bella of doing. Bella wasn't trying to forget Edward just like Jake is refusing to forget Bella

3. Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam? I sided with Seth's point of view. The Cullen's are not their enemy. I agreed that Jacob was not thinking it through. If Bella had been changed. It was her choice. Sam still thinks of them as the enemy just that the hadn't done anything worth dying for yet.

4. How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness? Disgust and shock. I'm so glad he went in his human form.
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

Getting to see Quil with Claire made the whole thing a little less creepy. Instead of picturing some teenage guy with romantic feelings for a 3 year old, we get to see that he loves her but more as a brother for right now. Quil loves Claire, but he wants her to be happy and doesn't see her as a girlfriend or anything else right now.

I do think Jacob should try and date someone else. It may have helped Jake to move on if he could see what else was out there. I also agree with Jacob. He was in love with Bella and she broke his heart by choosing Edward. But, in this case, wallowing in his heartbreak wasn't doing him any good.

I get why Jacob wanted to act right away, but Sam was right in this case. The treaty does prevent the Cullens from turning anyone or feeding on humans, but it says nothing about volunteers. Bella wanted to become a vampire so technically the Cullens hadn't done anything wrong.

I had absolutely no idea. I figured he would flip out. I didn't know if he would want to kill the thing or if he would be incredibly relieved that Bella was still human.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i was lol ing through the whole thing!! i find this situation quite amusing. and yes, this scence was very good at explaining...and making it just that much more funny!!

i see both sides of the argument. i've been to both places, so i know what its like! poor jacob!! :cry:

i didnt reallly side, i just wanted the cullens safe!!! who cares who thinks what? :lol: (i dont) i just want everyone to come out alive!!

he'd turn into a wolf. i think he'd try to attack edward as well...which he did. and the scence between jacob and edward afterwards freaked me out a bit too....
Betting on Alice.
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

I think it was a great idea of SM to show their relationship more,.. the whole 'not like other parents with the whenisnaptime look'.. perfect explanation.

Quil wasn't wrong to tell Jacob to date, maybe he thought if he gave it a try it might take his mind of things more. But Jacob's reasoning was enough. You can't force yourself to do something that you don't want to or know won't work. Kind of selfish to date someone or rather, use them, to try and get your mind off of someone else when you know it won't work.

Eh, this is tough. When Jacob first explained that the treaty was if they even BIT someone, I was like wow.. turning Bella into a vampire goes against that, that Jacob is kind of right about breaking the treaty. But Sam is the new one in charge, and as times change, things don't always apply the same. Now they see that the Cullens are not a threat, they are their allies. They know they would not allow Bella to harm anyone else and are not a threat to them, so I think Sam is right overall. Bella made the choice, she's not a victim.

Eh,.. this is tough. After book 1, I wasn't really sure what they were going to do with Bella. I kind of thought they would terminate the baby, or maybe it had already tried to kill her and she was transforming into a vampire.. But I definitely thought Jacob would attack Edward for sure.