Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 21 ~ Trails

Post by Alphie »

Loads of thanks to Ilovetwilight for her help with the questions.

1- What is it about Edward and Jake that makes their answer to Bella’s request that they stay behind and not fight different? Would Jake’s answer be different if Edward were not in the picture?

2- Is there something more to why Jake doesn’t step into the role of Alpha Male? Will he decide to become chief later on?

3- Why is the wedding so important to Alice? Is her motivation truly for Bella’s (eventual) happiness or is she being selfish in wanting to coordinate a big event?
Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 21 ~ Trails

Post by Isobelle »

1- What is it about Edward and Jake that makes their answer to Bella’s request that they stay behind and not fight different? Would Jake’s answer be different if Edward were not in the picture?

I guess the difference I noticed was that Edward wanted to be with Bella, but more than that he wanted her to be happy. He would have let her choose. And if she choose him, he wanted her to be absolutely certain. He is the type of guy who would hate himself if he thought that he was making her unhappy. Jake, on the other hand, wanted to win Bella. Being with her was more important that what she wanted. Jake struck me as the type of guy who thinks he knows what every one wants. He thinks, that Bella truely wants him over Edward if he was the only one around. I know, its ironic that I say this when Edward has the mind reading ability.

2- Is there something more to why Jake doesn’t step into the role of Alpha Male? Will he decide to become chief later on?

I think Jake is just resisting every aspect of the whole wolf thing. I've read Breaking Dawn so I wont comment on the other parts. I think he wants to be invovled as little as possible.

3- Why is the wedding so important to Alice? Is her motivation truly for Bella’s (eventual) happiness or is she being selfish in wanting to coordinate a big event?

To me, it seemed like Alice was doing this because she knows what she has missed being a vampire. Alice knows that Bella is a very emotional type of person. And Edward is right, Bella doesnt see herself clearly. I think Alice wanted a chance to show Bella just how beautiful she could be before she became supernaturally beautiful as a vampire.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I don't think Jake would have answered differently. Edward was willing to sacrifice of himself for Bella, where Jake was not, which shows the differences in the level of which they loved her. I think Jake loved Bella, but not as strongly as he believed. I really think that she was the object of his adoration for so long, he blinded himself to anyone else and the true depth of his feelings. That scene actually cemented my membership in Team Edward, not that my membership was ever really in question. LOL.

I think he was still not sure he was happy with being a wolf. Since they can decide to 'opt out' at any point, I think he was still wondering what he would do. And I plead the fifth for the other question...

Alice is Alice. She knew, as soon as Bella decided to marry Edward, what would happen in the future, and she knew that Bella would not regret it. I think it was both. She wants Bella happy and she wants to create the wedding that Edward would have had in his actual youth. Her love motivated her, I think. And it didn't help that she's a killer party planner. No pun intended, lol.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia

Post by Stacia »

I think it's hard for Edward to be away from Bella. Jake is used to it. And Edward knows how hard it would be for Bella if anything did happen to him or vice versa. I don't think that Jake's answer would be any different if Edward were not in the picture. Jake is who he is and regardless of whether Edward is there or not, he'd still fight - it's not in Jake's nature to back down.

At this point in the game, I don't think that Jake is ready to be the leader. He's still unsure of himself and in being the leader, he has to make the right decision for not only himself, but for others as well. It's a tough spot to be in when you have to make a life or death situation.

I think a little of both. She does want both Edward & Bella to be happy but a part of it is also, I think, that she's trying to live vicariously through Bella, regardless of Bella wants it or not, she'll put up a good front for Alice in the end. She always does.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Basically, Edward has always been for what makes Bella happy, no matter the consequence. In a sense, his allegence to her is higher than that to his family. While with Jake, he wants Bella to be just as happy, but not over what he feels compelled to do, which is fight with his brothers. No matter if Edward was or was not in the picture, I think Jake would have fought that battle whether Bella wanted to or not.

I just don't think he feels competent enough to take on that responsibility. Haha yes, I think one day he will step up to that position...

Alice loves having things her way. She loves designing and now that she's certain Bella will always be part of her family, she wants her "initiation" into the Cullen family to be perfect and she wants to be the one responsible for it. It's pretty much an act of selfishness, but she does want Bella to be happy with it at all costs.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
pixiealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by pixiealice »

Edward is much more in tune to Bella, her happiness and stability is dependant on his actions. He would never not do something if it was for Bella's good. Jacob, being younger and less mature, hasn't gotten to that point yet...once he imprints, he will be equal to Edward in that ability to set aside ones own wants for another.
He honestly doesn't want the responsibility yet. He is just not mature to handle it. If the position is rightfully his, he would step up when he was ready to do so.

Maybe she is trying to live through Bella for this one major life altering event, but this is Alice we are talking about, she truly wants to just celebrate this monumental occassion. She loves Bella as a sister, there is no malice or selfishness in her.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

neither
i think ti's sweet how she want'ed to coordinate the wedding. that's sjut alice.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1- Yes. He would stay for Bella, and wouldn't go.

2- I don't know if he will. I never really thought of why he would not want to be the Alpha.

3- I think she enjoys doing these kinds of things, but is still doing it for Edward and Bella.
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

If Edward was not in the picture... there would be no fight.. no wolf...

I don't think this is a fair question because most of us have read the book. When I first read it, I gave no thought or concern to Jake's choosing not to step up and be the Alpha. I wouldn't want the job.

I do think Alice is selfish, without a doubt, but I think it is all good harted. I also think she KNOWS Bella will appreciate it later. I love Alice.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Twilightlover101

Post by Twilightlover101 »

Nope, jake is too thick, he wouldn't miss out on a fight.

I don't know it's all about responsibility isn't it.

I think it's both, alice loves organizing big events but she also wants bella to be happy and have no regrets