A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
SydlovesTwilight
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 6 - Scary Stories

Post by SydlovesTwilight »

1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there?
I knew it had to do with him being a vampire. I saw the movie trailer before I read the book, so I knew it was about vampires. After he said what he did about bears, I knew it was for hunting.

2. How did you feel about Lauren and her open dislike of Bella?
I was always confused as to why she felt that way. I was just totally turned off to her whole character, still am.

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend?
I thought he was such a cute little character. It reminded me of a couple little guys I know. Oh yeah, it was only obvious that he did.

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did?
Jacob had heard it all his life and never saw any signs of it being true. Bella could tell there was something different about the Cullens family. She wasn't afraid of them, therefore she wasn't scared to even observe them in public. She was ready for any explanation for them and I think all along she thought vampires.

5. Given the fact that the stories about the "cold ones" were true, did you fully expect to see werewolves in the future books?
Not at all. That one threw me off a little, but not to much. There had to be something supernatural in New Moon after Edward left.
Jublio
Settled in Forks

Post by Jublio »

1. What was your initial thought about the fact that Charlie told Bella Goat Rock wasn't a good place for camping? Did you wonder what else Edward might be doing up there?

I guessed it was something with him being a vampire.

definitely jealousy. Bella was getting so much attention from all the boys.

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend?

I didn't really think of it, I didn't thought he would become a important character later on. And i didn't sense that he was interested in her, I thought that he just found it cool that he got attention from a girl older than him.

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did?

because I think he never saw the Cullens, so he never had notice that they were different.

5. Given the fact that the stories about the "cold ones" were true, did you fully expect to see werewolves in the future books?

No, totally not. it was more centered about the cold ones, so I never gave the werewolves a thought. But I wasn't surprised when it did.
....::Image::....
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

~Well it confirmed my belief that they weren't camping. Of course we knew he was a vampire (even thought Bella hadn't quite figured it out), so it made sense that they would hunt were there wouldn't be any campers. ~That way they knew it was safe to hunt.

~I never liked Lauren and the more she was in the picture the more I disliked her.

~I liked Jacob. I thought he was a sweet guy and it was obvious that he liked Bella in more than a friend way. I was hoping to see more of him. I am glad he made it throughout the series. I know people didn't like him because of the way he acted or goofed off, but he is a teenage boy!!!! Hello!!! That is how they are. I loved him in New Moon.

~Who would believe these old stories that have been pasted down. Who knows if they were made for entertainment purposes or whatever. It makes sense that a teenage boy who has no reason to believe them doesn't. Bella has been noticing that Edward and his family aren't "normal" so she is open to the possibility that these stories could be true.

~ I was kind of expecting it. I thought that Jacob kept popping up in Twilight and then in New Moon things were happing and I thought he is changing. He was growing!!! It made sense. Edward was gone and the whole book couldn't be about a friendship/relationship between two normal teenager. We needed supernatural stuff. Originally in New Moon Bella doesn't find out Jacob is a werewolf until Edward came back. (I read that on her website) I am glad Stephenie didn't stick with that.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I wasn't sure what he was doing there exactly, but I did know he was obviously up to something besides 'camping'.

I really dislike Lauren. I went to 4 different high schools and she is one of those girls who just automatically hate you because you're new and other people like you. She never gave Bella a chance and just needs to grow up.

I thought Jacob was interesting. I assumed he and Bella would become friends but that he was attracted to her.

Bella personally knows Edward, and she knows that something is off with him. She knows that something about the accident isn't adding up. She's already been trying to figure out what he is. Jacob doesn't personally know the Cullens, so he most likely just dismisses the legends as just that.

I wasn't really thinking about werewolves when I read this part the first time. Now, rereading it, it is obvious there would be werewolves. You can't have four novels about vampires without an enemy, and werewolves are a vampires natural enemy. I sure had no clue Jacob would be a werewolf.
Megsimadic
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Megsimadic »

Well as I already knew it was vampires, I figured the Bears were the reason.

She reminded me of so many irritating girls at school, so I really didnt like her at all. I thought it selfish and childish.

I figured he would crush on Bella. I thought he was quite cute as a character.

Jacob is young and living in the now, you wouldnt believe old tales like that at his age, it wouldnt be cool. And I dont see Bella as an average teen so I didnt expect her to react normal.

I did, as soon as the story was told I was like "so ok, who are the werewolves then?"
My Youtube - My Livejournal
Private Meg Shinigami of Jasper's Confederate Army

Team Jasper:He is my happy hormone
Team Alice: Because Im short and annoying too!
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

When Edward told Bella that it was a good place for bears, I kinda got the picture! ;)

I didn't like her. I thought it was a bit rude as Lauren doesn't even know Bella. Plus, it's mainly just jealousy. But there you go - that is high school life.

I thought of him as nice kid. Really didn't know too much about him at the point to really make an effort to really like him but of course I got the impression that he liked Bella more than a friend. She was an older girl "flirting" with him!

4. Why do you suppose Jacob didn't believe the legends of his people as readily as Bella did? Bella was already suspicious of Edward and his family. The legends just cemented in her mind that something really was up with Cullens. With Jacob, he grew up hearing those legends time and time again. And he didn't have a reason to believe in them. Maybe had he met the Cullens...maybe he could have believed, could have wondered....

Yes and no. I think part of it was in Bella's dreams as well that made you wonder what you'd see in future books.
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

I already suspected the right thing about what he might be doing there apart from camping...

I thought she was just one of those stupid high school girls who think of themselves higher than of everyone else. It was obvious that Lauren was just jealous and I didn't like her attitude at all.

I liked him. After all the boys in Bella's school (except Edward of course), it was nice to meet someone who was different, someone nice who is easy to be with. At that point, I didn't really think that he was interested in Bella.

Jacob has never been so close to a vampire and has never made the experiences that Bella has made (her accident etc.), so of course he would see those stories as old legends instead of true stories.

No, at that point I didn't expect to see any werewolves in the future books.
Elsbyth
Settled in Forks

Post by Elsbyth »

I guessed Edward was probably hunting there. And I liked that Charlie was trying to protect his daughter - it was endearing.

Stupid high school jealousy. I felt that Lauren would always be the girl that hated everyone who had something that she wanted and made them miserable because of it.

3. What was your first impression of Jacob Black? Did you like him? Did you get the sense that he was interested in Bella as more than a friend? I felt Jacob was young in age and in maturity. I also felt like Jacob had a crush on Bella from long before she moved to Forks.

I thought that had to do with his immaturity. How the innocence of youth leads to thoughts of invicibility and rarely do immature individuals look beneath the surface of a story.

Yes, I fully expected to see the werewolves at La Push since we're told immediately that the Cullens aren't allowed to go there. That seemed a logical location for the werewolves to me.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Well, I already suspect that he wasn't human(yet to be a vampire) , so he might be doing something mysterious there.

She reminded me of those mean girls in high school that I read in books.

I liked him. I thought of him as cute. Haha

He had not seen anything before, it would'nt be a surpise that he didn't believe.

Nope, I thought it was just some minor thing in the book.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
prettyrey
Settled in Forks

Post by prettyrey »

It was obvious that he was feeding.

2. How did you feel about Lauren and her open dislike of Bella? I thought that it was uneccesary.

Initially, it seemed as if he was younger than he is. It did seem as though he liked her.

I dont think that he believed them because he was so close to them and maybe he thought that they were stories to scare the kids.

No, that was a surprise and it made sense.