A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Re: Chapter 10 ~ The Meadow

Post by Jadey »

1. What did you think was wrong with Jacob? Were you as suspicious as Bella about his illness?
I thought he was sick, but when he was acting strange I had no idea what was going on.
2. When Laurent appeared out of the trees did you also think like Bella, that it was Edward?
Nope, I knew It wasn't him. If Edward did come back at that point, I didn't picture him wandering around out there. I thought it might've been one of the other Cullens.. Lol xD
3. When the wolves came out of the forest what were your thoughts? When one of them looked at Bella, did you suspect it was Jacob or that Edward was involved somehow?
I knew it was probably Jacobs friends. When one looked at Bella, I thought it may have been Jacob.. or Sam. :S
4. At this point in the story did you already suspect that Jacob was a werewolf?
Yeah, him in the woods, the wolf story he told bella, vampires vs werewolves, looking at bella in the woods , his funny behaviour, the Sam thing, kinda clicked then.
5. Did you think that now that Victoria was hunting Bella that Edward and the Cullens would come back?
Nope. Since Edward didn't seem to be around anywhere... I thought that he probably wouldn't know about Victoria. I expected the wolves to handle it.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Dorito
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Dorito »

1. What did you think was wrong with Jacob? Were you as suspicious as Bella about his illness?
Not sure, and yes--I would be.

2. When Laurent appeared out of the trees did you also think like Bella, that it was Edward?
No, I didn't think it was him. Was kinda expecting the bear build-up to lead to Emmett. Though when Laurent got scared and the bear came out, I was again expecting Emmett.

3. When the wolves came out of the forest what were your thoughts? When one of them looked at Bella, did you suspect it was Jacob or that Edward was involved somehow?
Yes, I did suspect it to be Jacob.

4. At this point in the story did you already suspect that Jacob was a werewolf?
Yes.

5. Did you think that now that Victoria was hunting Bella that Edward and the Cullens would come back?
I believe Alice would've forseen Victoria and would try convincing them to return.
I'll be your Edward if you'll be my Bellas
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

At first, I thought that he really was sick. But when they started acting all strange and not allowing Bella to see him, I was sure there was something more going on.

No, I wanted it to be Edward, but I was sure that it wasn't him. I had no idea who it would be actually.

I wasn't scared, since somehow I knew that they were there to protect her. Since it seemed like the wolf knew her, I suspected that it might be Jacob.

Yes I did.

I really wanted them to. But I wasn't sure that they would. I didn't know how much Alice would be watching out for Bella's future. I think she did, but I also think that she was very careful not to think about Bella when she was around Edward. But I hoped that Alice would see Bella in trouble, and that they would come back to help her.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

These questions were prepared by ECABS.

yes

yes

i didnt think either of them was involved

yes since the title is new moon

no why would she go up against te cullens
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

Not nearly as concerned. I figured that if Jake wanted to let her know what was going on then he would have told her.

Hell no! I knew Edward wasn’t coming back.

God damn wolves. I knew it was the pack from La Push as soon as I read it. All of the legends came back to haunt me.

See above.

No. They didn’t know Victoria was hunting her. If she had a way to let the Cullens know that Victoria was after her, then yes I think they would have come back. Well most of them anyway. Maybe Jazz would have stayed away. Maybe no though.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Post by vampbball »

I have a question regarding this chapter. Why wouldn't Alice have seen Laurent preparing to attack Bella? She saw Bella cliff-jump, so Alice was watching Bella. And while it would have been too late for Alice to have prevented Laurent from killing Bella, she could have called Edward, let him know that Bella was in danger from at least one vampire. Instead, she is truly surprised later in the book to learn that there have been any vampires in Forks during the Cullens' absence.

This chapter also completely confuses me regarding the Denali coven, and their refusal to assist the Cullens in "Eclipse." Laurent wasn't just thirsty when he attempted to attack Bella; he was in Forks in the first place because he had agreed to go on Victoria's behalf to help plot Bella's murder. There was nothing accidental in his intentions towards Bella; he intended her to die one way or another, and if Edward had been there at the time, Edward would have killed Laurent himself. How can the Denali sisters blame the werewolves for an act that a Cullen, possibly any Cullen but Rosalie or Jasper, would have also committed?
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

vampbball wrote:I have a question regarding this chapter. Why wouldn't Alice have seen Laurent preparing to attack Bella? She saw Bella cliff-jump, so Alice was watching Bella. And while it would have been too late for Alice to have prevented Laurent from killing Bella, she could have called Edward, let him know that Bella was in danger from at least one vampire. Instead, she is truly surprised later in the book to learn that there have been any vampires in Forks during the Cullens' absence.

This chapter also completely confuses me regarding the Denali coven, and their refusal to assist the Cullens in "Eclipse." Laurent wasn't just thirsty when he attempted to attack Bella; he was in Forks in the first place because he had agreed to go on Victoria's behalf to help plot Bella's murder. There was nothing accidental in his intentions towards Bella; he intended her to die one way or another, and if Edward had been there at the time, Edward would have killed Laurent himself. How can the Denali sisters blame the werewolves for an act that a Cullen, possibly any Cullen but Rosalie or Jasper, would have also committed?
For your first question: I always figured that Alice looked out for Bella from time to time. But I think she had also promised Edward that they really would leave Bella alone, so she probably wasn't on the look out very often. So I just assumed that she had missed it since she wasn't paying attention that much.

With the Denali, I agree with you. I believe that when they learned that not only was Laurent attempting to kill Bella, he was also there to help Victoria and he cheated on his diet, they should have understood that taking him out was necessary. And they should not even ask Carlisle for permission to attack the pack, knowing how much trouble that would coause for the Cullens. On the other hand, we also have to look at Irina. She loved Laurent, and she wanted to avenge his killers. She probably wasn't seeing straight enough to consider the circumstances. And also, Bella meant nothing to her at all, while Laurent did. Not fair or anything, but love can do that to you.
So, that's just the way I see it.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
alices_sister
Settled in Forks

Post by alices_sister »

I was suspicious but had no idea of what it was.

for an instant

that was when i knew it was jacob

not before the meadow

i had to flip to the end of the book half way through to make sure they were coming back cos i was starting to think they wouldnt haha
Twilightchick79
Wandering Through Town

Post by Twilightchick79 »

I had no clue. I assumed he had the 24 hour bug.

Of course... And then my hope shattered. :(

We're not in Kansas anymore... I really thought WTF? She lives in a town with large hairy wolves and vampires? It was too crazy.

I didn't put it together until the meadow.

The part in the book where Edwards leaves her left me in emotional shambles. hahaha. I flipped to the back just to see if I could see a sentence that would show he would come back around. I saw his name and then flipped back without reading anything. So I knew he was coming back, I just didn't realize that drama that would unfold to bring them all back together.
My life was like a moonless night. And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. There was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, everything went black. My eyes were blinded by the light. And there was no more reason for anything.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

At first I thought it may have been the stomach flu that everyone was having but after the suspicious not answering of phone and the number of days that passed I thought he was suffering from something worse, like the illness he mentioned his friend had gone through. The odd way Billy spoke to Bella on phone etc. fuelled this even more.

I was hoping it would be! Wasnt expecting Laurent though

I thought it was Sam and crew and then I pieced together that Jacob must be one of them now. I wondered about the one who looked at Bella and would have assuemed out of all 5 of them this one would be Jacob.

Not up until I read the chapter I hadnt!

I hadnt thought about this, other than it must be scary for poor Bella knowing she is being hunted and with no one to help her. I made the assumption then that no, the Cullens and Edward wouldnt be back to help her.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."