Chapter 13: Good thing I've got a strong stomach

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 13: Good thing I've got a strong stomach

Post by Alphie »

Lots of gratitude to Una for helping us out with this!

1. Do you feel that Rosalie is only motivated by the baby or does she have concern for Bella and her feelings? How do you interpret her actions in this chapter?

2. The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place?

3. As we are without Bella’s perspective in this chapter, what do you think is going through her mind as she watches Jacob’s interactions with the Cullens and vice versa?

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right collalition?

5. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam?

6. We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ?
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 13: Good thing I've got a strong stomach

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. Do you feel that Rosalie is only motivated by the baby or does she have concern for Bella and her feelings? How do you interpret her actions in this chapter?
I think she is mostly motivated by the baby. But I also think that she really does want Bella to survive. But I'm not sure that she what she would choose if it came down to a direct choice between Bella and the baby. I'm thinking she might go only for the baby then.

2. The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place?
Jake is the one that is actually able to make Edward smile, by his funny thoughts. Especially the one about the mind-reading-thing, just cracked me up. And I think they see that they are fighting for the same thing. They want to save this girl that they love so much. I also see them as more polite towards each other, than they have been before.

3. As we are without Bella’s perspective in this chapter, what do you think is going through her mind as she watches Jacob’s interactions with the Cullens and vice versa?
First of all, I think that she is so pleased that Jacob is there. And to see that it is truly possible to connect the vampires and the pack. I think it makes her feel hopeful for the future of her vampire family and for Jacob.

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right collalition?
From Sam's POV it was wise not to send Embry. I believe that the only thing keeping Embry with Sam was the alpha-status. And Sam did not want Embry too close to the other alpha, afraid that that might make him change sides. Quil was safe, because he would never leave Claire. I think Collin was there because Jacob probably wouldn't do anything to him. As for Jared and Paul, I think that Sam trusted them and they were strong.

5. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam?
The arguements he made for Jacob to come back were ok. But if I were Jacob, I would not have trusted them. I think what he said to Seth and Leah were despicable. To use his mother to convince Seth to come back, was just heartless and unfair. Seth is so young, and he made a brave choice. And it was utterly unfair to use Sam to get Leah back. Telling her that Sam wanted her back, and that he had asked Jared to beg. Just cruel. Especially using his nickname for her. That must have hurt so much. And Sam had no right to play on Leah's emotions like that.

6. We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ?
Sam is more authoritarian. He uses his alphapowers, while Jacob does not. Jacob is concerned with keeping everyone's free will intact. I see him as he sort of leader that will never force anyone to do anything. So for me, that makes Jacob the bigger man/wolf of the two.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Dovrebanen wrote:4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right coalition?
From Sam's POV it was wise not to send Embry. I believe that the only thing keeping Embry with Sam was the alpha-status. And Sam did not want Embry too close to the other alpha, afraid that that might make him change sides. Quil was safe, because he would never leave Claire. I think Collin was there because Jacob probably wouldn't do anything to him. As for Jared and Paul, I think that Sam trusted them and they were strong.
I just wanted to add that both Paul and Jared had imprinted, and were likely sent for the same reason as Quil- they would not leave their imprintees. Collin was young, and as much as Jacob didn't like Seth's "defection," I can't see Jacob actually trying to convince Collin to stay on his side.

Embry however had not imprinted, and he still has a strong bond of friendship with Jacob. This made it risky for Sam to send Embry, because he could defect to Jacob's pack.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Yes, very good point ringswraith. I didn't even think about the imprinting with Jared and Paul :oops: Oh well, I'll blame it on the flu I'm having. Fever and all, you know. Clouds the mind :D
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I think she was a little more motivated by the baby this time.

Anytime they work together against Rose.

That they are becoming closer friends.

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul as emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right coalition?
I think Seth was right when he said that he sent people who wouldn't pack up and leave the tribe. Jared has Kim, Collin doesn't have much of an attachment to Jake and he's too young to leave the tribe, Quil has Claire and Paul has Jake's sister.

I don't know if he was convincing or not. Yeah, his arguments were good. That Sam would do anything to get the three of them back so they can kill the baby and the Cullens if necessary.

Sam's more organized and Jake leads more by example.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I would say she was probably more motivated by the baby, because that's just how we see Rosalie and that's honestly what she was probably thinking, but I don't think she'd completely forgotten Bella. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

When they come together to hate the baby, or to hate Rosalie, or to hate anything in general. Any time where they're near each other and angsty, they're becoming closer and close. And also when their concern for Bella brings them together for an instant before they remember they actually don't really like each other.

She's probably really happy that Jacob is there and nobody's fighting (not really). And she probably sees Edward and Jacob being able to stand each other and just loves that, I'm sure, feels hope. But I'm sure there's also a little worry in the bakc of her mind because, let's face it, Jacob can be somewhat of a loose cannon when it comes to Edward and vice-versa.

I'm sure Sam thoght it was right not to send Embry, because he thought he would for sure end up joining Jacob, and of course Quil had Claire, so he couldn't very well leave. As for Paul and Jared, I think they were just the strong ones of the group, just in case things got out of hand. And Collin is young, so I'm sure Sam sent him because he couldn't see Jacob hurting him.

I was angry that Jared brought up Seth and Leah's mom. They were fighting for the greater good of the situation, and to bring up Sue was bad enough, but then to bring up Harry... that was disgusting. I couldn't believe those words even came out of his mouth. The argument for Jacob was just fine... but he went too far in bringing Sue into it. And telling Leah that Sam wanted her back into the group... he knew he was playing with her emotions and he did it anyway. That was dispicable, too. I couldn't wait for him to leave.

Sam uses his ability to control the group a lot more than Jacob does... Jacob kind of just makes sugguestions and everyone follows them, but Sam uses his alpha thing more. Jake won't make them do anything they don't want to do.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Do you feel that Rosalie is only motivated by the baby or does she have concern for Bella and her feelings? How do you interpret her actions in this chapter? I don't think her only motivation is the baby. I think Rosalie has come to accept Bella as part of the family and has at least friendship feelings for her. (I don't think she loves her like a sister like Alice does.) And I don't think she would want Bella to die.

2. The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place? Well the fact that Jacob just comes & goes as he pleases from the Cullen house. And that they've been able to have conversations w/each other without wanting to kill each other.

3. As we are without Bella’s perspective in this chapter, what do you think is going through her mind as she watches Jacob’s interactions with the Cullens and vice versa? She's probably releaved that they are getting along so well, it's what she always wanted. But also probably wondering how long it would last (at least from Jacob's side.)

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right collalition? I hadn't though too much about it. I think Sam sent who he knew wouldn't defect and join Jacob. They are probably the right ones.

5. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam? His arguments to Jacob were fine but I hated how he tried to manipulate and was playing w/emotions to try to convince Leah and Seth. Using Sam's nickname for Leah was just wrong (and weird considering he's engaged to Emily) and to bring Sue in as well was just wrong.

6. We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ? I think Sam really enjoys being an alpha and the power that comes with it. Jacob obviously doesn't want it and he won't force anyone to do anything they don't want to do.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

1. Do you feel that Rosalie is only motivated by the baby or does she have concern for Bella and her feelings? How do you interpret her actions in this chapter? By the baby. Her only concern is making Bella believe she cares so Bella will do what she wants her to do. I thinks from the way Edward was acknowledging Jake's thoughts Rose had no concerns for Bella at all she was just putting on her charm in case Bella disagreed. I thought that she was coming around to excepting Bella but if you pay closes attention to Jacobs thoughts about Rose and Edward nodding in confirmation it's as if once the baby came along Rose's obsession about being a mom took over and doesn't give a poo about what happens to Bella anymore. It makes me sad too. I really had wished she would have redeemed herself here.

2. The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place? They are just really concerned about Bella at this point learning that's they share a lot of the same feelings. They are building a little bit of respect for one another. I think Edwards respect for Jake is a little higher than Jake's for Edward but in his defense Jake is still a 16 year old.

3. As we are without Bella’s perspective in this chapter, what do you think is going through her mind as she watches Jacob’s interactions with the Cullens and vice versa? I'm sure she's very happy about it all she wanted was for everyone to get along.

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right collalition? There really wasn't much choice. The rest are to young and I think they were right about Embry wanting to leave the pack so they didn't want to take any chances. They had to know Jake wouldn't return anyway the just wanted him to know it was a possibility and for him not to feel threatened because they were going to wait this thing out.

5. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam? The only think that really stick out for me is when Jared was addressing Leah. How dare Sam call her by his pet name for her. He better never judge Bella by the choices she made because he just did the same thing Bella does to Jake to Leah. Plus they don;t even know if they can come back I'm sure there is some kind of rule about going back and forth. You know??? Like when your mother always used to say IN OR OUT!!! When you kept running in outside as a kid.

6. We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ? Jake's not a bully. He doesn't think his words should speak for everyone he got their input.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Do you feel that Rosalie is only motivated by the baby or does she have concern for Bella and her feelings? How do you interpret her actions in this chapter? I think she is motivated by the baby, but she also knows that Bella wants to save her baby and herself no matter what.

2. The relationship between Jacob and Edward is slowly changing. In what instances do you see those changes taking place? I think that it's the same feelings that they both have about this.

3. As we are without Bella’s perspective in this chapter, what do you think is going through her mind as she watches Jacob’s interactions with the Cullens and vice versa? I think that she's glad they're sorta getting along, but disappointed that they can't see the baby as she can.

4. What do you think was Sam’s reasoning for sending Jared with Collin, Quil and Paul and emissaries to Jacob? Do you feel that Sam sent the right collalition? I think Sam had the right to try and talk to them, but I think it was cowardly of him to not go himself. Maybe he didn't want them picking through his brain, or maybe there was something else he had to attend to.

5. Do you feel that Jared was convincing in his arguments? Did he make the right arguments to Leah, Seth and Jacob? When Jared was using Sam’s words, what did those words reveal about Sam? He argued with all he had to argue with, but they weren't good enough for persuasion. Sam I think was wrong to use his old nickname for Leah, and shows how desperate he was to get them all in the same pack again.

6. We have had a moment to see Jacob’s leadership qualities and style compared to Sam’s? How do they differ? Jacob is more of a go with the flow, but Sam is more structured.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

She seems to be motivated by the baby because that is the one thing she wants. However, the determination Bella has seems to make Rose more willing to fight for what they both want.

I think the biggest change comes about when Edward asks Jacob to convince Bella to abort the baby and offer to have his instead. Here Jacob can see what this is doing to Edward and he can relate which gives them something to bond over. Then the longer Jacob sticks around the more he can see what Edward is going through, and they begin to form a relationship over their anguish and the fact that they are on the same side of things.

I'm sure she is thrilled that they all seem to be getting along better. One of the things she is most worried about is whether or not she will be able to remain friends with Jacob once she is changed, and the fact that he is getting along with the Cullens has to lift a weight off her shoulders.

It was smart of Sam to send that group of guys. Jared is capable of controlling his emotions enough to talk to Jacob in a calm manner. However, if things got out of hand Paul was there as the brute force. Quil was there to play with Jacob's emotions. Quil was meant to point out to Jake what he would be leaving behind, and Collin represented what Jacob was already doing to his wolf family. All of these things would mess with Jacob and hopeuflly, in Sams eyes, bring Jacob back and put things back the way they were.

Jared did what he was supposed to do. For most people his arguments would have been convincing, but Jacob was fighting for something he believed in and he wouldn't back down. The arguments he made to Seth and Leah were just hitting below the belt, he knew they couldn't deny their mother; but he wasn't prepared for them to have minds of their own. Sam just proved he wasn't the right person to be leading the pack. He is too interested in making people do what HE thinks is right, not what EVERYONE thinks is right.

Jacob would only command his pack if he thought lives were in danger. Otherwise he isn't interested in commanding his pack to do things like Sam is. Jacob leads by example and allows his pack to do what they think they should be doing. Sam just wants people to do things his way.