Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Movie Inconsistencies?

Post by spicey16 »

i was reading twilight again last night and once again it has the power to make me gasp, and my heart pound, and fall in love all over.. the movie is just so depressing. not in the literal since but in the since that it did none of that for me :( there are so many great conversations that were totally left out. they also changed conversations that make it take on a whole knew meaning. like they skipped the happy times and focused on the bad which doesnt = love.. like when bella is in the hospital he comes "to spring her" and did he ever ask her to go to seattle? they just missed the light hearted side of Twilight.. it just sad *tear*
However, the main reason i read it was bc i couldnt remember when exactly jacob told bella the whole story and i was right. its in twilight he says (not actual quote) "the cold ones are the enemy of the wolf, well not the wolf but the wolves that turn into men. Your ppl would call them werewolves" which totally gave away New Moon ( at least for me) she even had a dream about jacob turning into a wolf and attacking edward for crying out loud.so thats why i think "the wolves descende" is a great comment. Esp. since they pretty much left out the WHOLE quillette story! and i love me some quillettes :lol:
- bella being a vegitarian is cute but bella is a pretty good eater. thats one of the things that is nice about her. shes on a date with perfection and shes stuffing her face :) i like that
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

^ agreed

Bella, in the movie didn't seem 'normal' enough. She seemed a tad creepy :lol:
And yeh, they left out like, 3/4 of the book.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
BrandOfHeroine

Post by BrandOfHeroine »

Yeah, what I don't get though, (and I know it's probably been discussed before) is that why did they left out very important parts of the book and instead put some in that had nothing to do with the story. Tell me if I didn't explain myself well enough, but that's what keeps bugging me about the movie.
TheLamb07
Wandering Through Town

Post by TheLamb07 »

My list of Grievances:

In the book, Jacob was the one to tell her that Edward was a vampire although he didn't realize it and breaks the treaty. by the time port angeles comes around, bella already know edward was a vampire. in the movie they totally skrewed that up! in the movie, edward never finds out that Jacob is the one to break the treaty by telling her about the cullens. bella finds out he's a vampire by googleing it! com'on! thats just dumb!

another thing was that they never actually explained the eyes changing thing in the movie. people that might have never read the book would never know that their eyes turned gold when they drink animal blood and black when they havent fed in a while.

i hated the fact that the didn't include jasper's ability to affect moods. i know it might have been diffucult to portray but they could have mentioned it.

They never metioned that alice and jasper came on their own and that carlise was not the one to create them. that totally made me mad! how could they not include that!

not including bella's sleeptalking irritated me so much. its essential that edward can't read her mind but he finds about her so much by listening to her while she sleeps.

there are so many but those are my top things that upset me!
Vampire vs. Werewolf is the new Pirate vs. Ninja
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I agree with a lot what you said TheLamb07. Especially the sleep talking. When she said his name in her sleep . And she also said that she loved him. He was so happy to hear her sleep talking, while she was embarressed. "If I could dream it would be about you, and I wouldn't be ashamed" or something like that he said (paraphrasing here...obviously I don't bring my books with me too work, but I'm on the Lex...).
And yes, Jasper was a big part of the story in Phoenix. He kept trying to calm Bella down, until he gave up. I think that should be shown because it was the closest Jasper ever was to Bella, since he was struggeling the most with his diet.

BrandOfHeroine, it bugs me just as much. I hated the fieldtripscene. I wanted bloodtyping. I wanted more time between Bella and Edward, to really show the incredible depth of their relationship. I wanted him to ask her to go to Seattle with him, and then change his mind due to the sun and take her to his meadow instead to show her his sparkling. I wanted him to make fun of her truck..And her to say that it was none of his business. "The waste of finite resources is everyone's business". Loved that comment by Edward. God, the meadow scene...Stalking into some random forest with Edward on her tail...Not what happened at all. The meadow was planned, it was Edward's special place that he didn't just share with anybody, and he wanted to show her what he was by getting out into the sun. That was so brave of him. And the meadow was beautiful in the book. Nothing special about it in the movie.
Maybe some of this was in the movie, and I just don't remember. Still waiting for the dvd release in this small outback of a country I live in :D
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Dovrebanen wrote:I agree with a lot what you said TheLamb07. Especially the sleep talking. When she said his name in her sleep . And she also said that she loved him. He was so happy to hear her sleep talking, while she was embarressed. "If I could dream it would be about you, and I wouldn't be ashamed" or something like that he said (paraphrasing here...obviously I don't bring my books with me too work, but I'm on the Lex...).
And yes, Jasper was a big part of the story in Phoenix. He kept trying to calm Bella down, until he gave up. I think that should be shown because it was the closest Jasper ever was to Bella, since he was struggeling the most with his diet.

BrandOfHeroine, it bugs me just as much. I hated the fieldtripscene. I wanted bloodtyping. I wanted more time between Bella and Edward, to really show the incredible depth of their relationship. I wanted him to ask her to go to Seattle with him, and then change his mind due to the sun and take her to his meadow instead to show her his sparkling. I wanted him to make fun of her truck..And her to say that it was none of his business. "The waste of finite resources is everyone's business". Loved that comment by Edward. God, the meadow scene...Stalking into some random forest with Edward on her tail...Not what happened at all. The meadow was planned, it was Edward's special place that he didn't just share with anybody, and he wanted to show her what he was by getting out into the sun. That was so brave of him. And the meadow was beautiful in the book. Nothing special about it in the movie.
Maybe some of this was in the movie, and I just don't remember. Still waiting for the dvd release in this small outback of a country I live in :D
Dovrebanen, unfortunately I don't think these missing elements were in the movie (said after watching the DVD more times than I probably should have) ;)

I totally agree with your points above. Catherine Hardwicke could so easily have put Bella's sleep talking into the movie. They already had the scene where Edward came to Bella's room; she could very easily have said Edward's name at that point without adding any additional screen time to the movie.

They really did butcher the meadow scene by having it in this random forest area behind the school, and especially by having Edward follow Bella there without any specific purpose or intent. I didn't really mind that the vampire reveal scene was in the meadow instead of at the Port Charles restaurant as in the book, but I'm so disappointed that the movie scene didn't more closely resemble the meadow scene from the book.

You are so right about the meadow scene being "planned"...the meadow was Edward's special place and he risked a lot and made himself vulnerable by taking Bella there and showing himself to her. I hated that part in the movie, when Edward physically drug Bella up the mountain to show her the "skin of a killer". It was just so out of character for him. Edward was very gentle with Bella in the meadow scene in the book, and he even physically moved away from her when he thought he had frightened her. The meadow scene is one of the most pivotal scenes in all of the books, and literally represented the dream from which Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series evolved. It's so disappointing that Catherine, Melissa, and Summit could not do justice to that one particular scene.
Last edited by older_twilight_fan on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banner by TammyAZ
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

The movie screwed up the whole story.
So it screwed up the book for me.

Now when I read Twilight, I get the crappy movie scenes in my head. Grr
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

older_twilight_fan wrote: You are so right about the meadow scene being "planned"...the meadow was Edward's special place and he risked a lot and made himself vulnerable by taking Bella there and showing himself to her. I hated that part in the movie, when Edward physically drug Edward up the mountain to show her the "skin of a killer". It was just so out of character for him. Edward was very gentle with Bella in the meadow scene in the book, and he even physically moved away from her when he thought he had frightened her. The meadow scene is one of the most pivotal scenes in all of the books, and literally represented the dream from which Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series evolved. It's so disappointing that Catherine, Melissa, and Summit could not do justice to that one particular scene.
I hated that Edward actually sounded somewhat angry in the meadow. Or not angry, but just the tone of his voice and what he said. Like the whole: "Say it. Out loud". Making her say the word vampire, almost scaring her with it. Edward wouldn't do that. He was deadly afraid of her screaming and running away when she found out he was a vampire. He wanted her to realize the danger, yes, but he also wanted so much to be with her. And he was always gentle and sweet with her. I loved the part where he moved away from her in the book. And when he approached her again, he said: "So where were we before I behaved so rudely?" Clearly showing that he was a man of 1918. And he winked when he said: "I'm not thirsty today, honestly". :) It shows that he reallyd does have a sense of humor. I would have wanted to see all that in the movie. They could have done so much with the meadow scene. It makes me sad that they didn't.
Jadey wrote:The movie screwed up the whole story.

I try my hardest to forget it. I love every part of that book. So I'm hoping it wont be messed up for me.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
shortstuff

Post by shortstuff »

Dovrebanen wrote:
older_twilight_fan wrote: You are so right about the meadow scene being "planned"...the meadow was Edward's special place and he risked a lot and made himself vulnerable by taking Bella there and showing himself to her. I hated that part in the movie, when Edward physically drug Edward up the mountain to show her the "skin of a killer". It was just so out of character for him. Edward was very gentle with Bella in the meadow scene in the book, and he even physically moved away from her when he thought he had frightened her. The meadow scene is one of the most pivotal scenes in all of the books, and literally represented the dream from which Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series evolved. It's so disappointing that Catherine, Melissa, and Summit could not do justice to that one particular scene.
I hated that Edward actually sounded somewhat angry in the meadow. Or not angry, but just the tone of his voice and what he said. Like the whole: "Say it. Out loud". Making her say the word vampire, almost scaring her with it. Edward wouldn't do that. He was deadly afraid of her screaming and running away when she found out he was a vampire. He wanted her to realize the danger, yes, but he also wanted so much to be with her. And he was always gentle and sweet with her. I loved the part where he moved away from her in the book. And when he approached her again, he said: "So where were we before I behaved so rudely?" Clearly showing that he was a man of 1918. And he winked when he said: "I'm not thirsty today, honestly". :) It shows that he reallyd does have a sense of humor. I would have wanted to see all that in the movie. They could have done so much with the meadow scene. It makes me sad that they didn't.

I try my hardest to forget it. I love every part of that book. So I'm hoping it wont be messed up for me.
when i read twilight, i try not to imagine kristen and rob, but rather the bella and edward i imagined when i first read the book... i refuse to let the movie ruin the book for me. i have to seperate them and see them as different entities otherwise it just doesnt work.
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

The movie is stuck in my head whenever I read Twilight.
Now, I can't read the lines Edward spoke in the book without the crappy scenes with awkward lines in the movie popping up in my head.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle