Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Nala » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 am

It was a nice evening at the cinema.
truly!
And sometimes I had some goosebumps for being captured by the atmosphere.
But most of the time (and I prepared myself not to expect too much like I do always with HP-movies) I felt I was looking some other lovestory but Twilight.
Nice
but not Twilight.

Kristin was sometimes too prissy if I may say/write so. She is sort of too pretty for my Bella. But maybe I am just missing the chocolate eyes from my imagined Bella.
Rob was pretty good (he made the goosebumps :lol: but he couldnt change my old Edward in my head (Henry Cavill )when he was younger ofcoz!)).
But totally cruel was the scene in the meadow.
Aaagh!
My heart broke when Edward lookes like he was sweating. Gosh! Anyway who was the make-up-artist? The vampires werent supposed to play Harlekins??!!
and like all the othes wrote: all right there not so much time for a movie, but Bella fell in love -bang! - where is all the romantic, the development?

Rob's face when Bella passed by. Did he feel sick?
Had he to throw up? the whole cinema laughed about his face...

Esme and Carlisle were great.
When I saw pics of the actors I was disappointed but they pushed my old imagined figures out of my head. Instead of my fantasy now everytime I reread twilgiht or NM or... they are the Cullens.
Pwetty good!!

the best:

the baseballscene!!!! maybe it's all because of Muse. But I love this one.
No, it was sensational. Alice - -whoot for her!!!

after all:
a nice evening in the cinema


and


we still have the books and our private cinema in our heads ;)
ALWAYS _________________________ Image
_____________________sorry to the unknown artist, couldnt detect you. still: I adore this image so! thank you!
User avatar
Nala
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:40 am
Location: Germany

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby shortstuff » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm

Kachiti wrote:
Dovrebanen wrote:^^Nothing to add. Just a round of applause for your comment, Kachiti. Agree 100 %. All the way through I kept thinking: That's not the way it happened. That's not right. They got that all wrong.
I will watch it again though. Some people here have said that it does do better after more viewings when you know what to expect. Maybe it will.


Why should someone have to see multiple showing of a movie to like it? I mean I fell in love with Twilight the first time I read it not the second or third time. Honestly, if wasn't for the book would you even bother watching it again?


i know what you mean, but at the same time i think it needs to be watched again only because a lot of us were watching it and comparing everything to the book, and getting upset everytime something was different. watching it a second time allows you to either a) watch it as a seperate entity from the book, or b)supplement all the crappy parts with how it was supposed to be in the book and understanding what they were TRYING to get accross but didnt really convey well.

but youre right, its not that movie masterpiece it could have been with such an amazing story at their disposal.. it could have been a lot better, but it also could have been a lot worse!
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 am
Location: Canada

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Kachiti » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:23 pm

shortstuff wrote:i know what you mean, but at the same time i think it needs to be watched again only because a lot of us were watching it and comparing everything to the book, and getting upset everytime something was different. watching it a second time allows you to either a) watch it as a seperate entity from the book, or b)supplement all the crappy parts with how it was supposed to be in the book and understanding what they were TRYING to get accross but didnt really convey well.

but youre right, its not that movie masterpiece it could have been with such an amazing story at their disposal.. it could have been a lot better, but it also could have been a lot worse!



Possibly, but that doesn't answer my question. Would you have watched the movie again if it wasn't for the book?
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Somewhere between dreams and reality

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Dovrebanen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:43 am

Kachiti wrote:
shortstuff wrote:i know what you mean, but at the same time i think it needs to be watched again only because a lot of us were watching it and comparing everything to the book, and getting upset everytime something was different. watching it a second time allows you to either a) watch it as a seperate entity from the book, or b)supplement all the crappy parts with how it was supposed to be in the book and understanding what they were TRYING to get accross but didnt really convey well.

but youre right, its not that movie masterpiece it could have been with such an amazing story at their disposal.. it could have been a lot better, but it also could have been a lot worse!



Possibly, but that doesn't answer my question. Would you have watched the movie again if it wasn't for the book?

I really don't think I would have been that disappointed by it if it was not made from my favorite book of all times. That's that destroyed for me. My love for the book, and the fact that I know Twilight inside out. I remember details, and so I was upset because so much were missing and changed. So if the book had not existed, I wouldn't have felt so strongly opposed to the movie. It's not a great movie, but it doesn't deserve to be totally butchered either. But compared to the book, it fails big time and I was hugely disappointed. So the book is what made me so antagonistic to the movie, not the movie itself.
Image
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
User avatar
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Norway.

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Jadey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:14 am

I think they should re-do Twilight:

Same actors
Different Director
Different Screen Writer

They need a fricken director/screen writer who won't make it so weak and tweenie.

Instead of going to see a beautiful, passionate love story for young adults/adults..

I saw a stupid story where two people had a schoolyard crush on each other, aimed at pre-teens.
Image
^ by ForJazz
Image
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
User avatar
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle
 
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Kachiti » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 am

Dovrebanen wrote:I really don't think I would have been that disappointed by it if it was not made from my favorite book of all times. That's that destroyed for me. My love for the book, and the fact that I know Twilight inside out. I remember details, and so I was upset because so much were missing and changed. So if the book had not existed, I wouldn't have felt so strongly opposed to the movie. It's not a great movie, but it doesn't deserve to be totally butchered either. But compared to the book, it fails big time and I was hugely disappointed. So the book is what made me so antagonistic to the movie, not the movie itself.


So, I take that as no. Not trying to be difficult here but from what I have figure out, the reason so many people have watched it multiple times is do to their love of the book. I for one loved the book but I don't think I could sit through another show of that dribble. I tend to analyze things so if I were to watch it again, I would only tear it apart. I feel the movie is an insult not only to the fans but to the author also. It sadden me that she could let them do this her work.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Somewhere between dreams and reality

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Dovrebanen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:03 am

You can take it as a no :D I probably wouldn't have given it a second chance had it not been for the book. But I do mean that it's not all bad if you forget there is a book called Twilight, and that you love that book. It's ok for a movie about an average teenage crush (which is not what Twilight is about). And there are really few movies that I see several times. Usually just my all time favorites. But I will watch Twilight again. And yes, I will probably analyze it to death as well. But still I didn't hate all of it. Just a lot.... And I kind of want it to grow on me. I don't want to feel so disappointed again. So I will go into my second viewing with open eyes, know what to expect and take it for what it is. And I will keep the real story in my head. And like nala said, we have our own movie in our minds.
Image
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
User avatar
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Norway.

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Kachiti » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:58 am

Dovrebanen wrote:And like nala said, we have our own movie in our minds.


I think that will be the one I watch again.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Somewhere between dreams and reality

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby shortstuff » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 am

Kachiti wrote:
shortstuff wrote:i know what you mean, but at the same time i think it needs to be watched again only because a lot of us were watching it and comparing everything to the book, and getting upset everytime something was different. watching it a second time allows you to either a) watch it as a seperate entity from the book, or b)supplement all the crappy parts with how it was supposed to be in the book and understanding what they were TRYING to get accross but didnt really convey well.

but youre right, its not that movie masterpiece it could have been with such an amazing story at their disposal.. it could have been a lot better, but it also could have been a lot worse!



Possibly, but that doesn't answer my question. Would you have watched the movie again if it wasn't for the book?


ah, i didnt realize that was your question..

my answer... i really don't know. i read the book before watching the movie, so i've kind of been 'tainted' (for lack of a better term) by the book and naturally have that in my head when i watch. When i first saw it i was like, 'man i'm glad i read the book, because i think if i was just watching it cold, i would have thought this was the stupidest peice of crap ever'. BUT my friend, (who was the one who got me into the series) watched the movie FIRST and she absolutely LOVED it and that's what led her to read the books.. so really i dont know. maybe watching it without all those expectations and ideas of what it was supposed to be, i would have enjoyed it and watched it mutiple times... or maybe not. i guess we'll never really know!
shortstuff
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 am
Location: Canada

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Postby Kachiti » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:32 am

shortstuff wrote:ah, i didnt realize that was your question..

my answer... i really don't know. i read the book before watching the movie, so i've kind of been 'tainted' (for lack of a better term) by the book and naturally have that in my head when i watch. When i first saw it i was like, 'man i'm glad i read the book, because i think if i was just watching it cold, i would have thought this was the stupidest peice of crap ever'. BUT my friend, (who was the one who got me into the series) watched the movie FIRST and she absolutely LOVED it and that's what led her to read the books.. so really i dont know. maybe watching it without all those expectations and ideas of what it was supposed to be, i would have enjoyed it and watched it mutiple times... or maybe not. i guess we'll never really know!


Here is how I see your answer, if only I hadn't read the book first. Which is what many in this thread have said. If your honest your answer would be no. I find it interesting that so many blame the book for not enjoying the movie. Like it was somehow unfair to compare it to the book. I disagree.

Realistically, there is no way a movie can follow a book perfectly. However, the movie should at least carry the "essences" of book. I use the movies, The color purple, The Lord of the Ring series and the Narina series. None of these follow the books exactly, people and scenes were added or taken away. Yet I could follow each with the book in my mind accept what the director/producer had done because they had not understood what the original piece of literature but the "essence" of the story. Yea, there were times I would go, okay that person didn't say that or that took place in a different part of the book but it was so beautifully done that in the end it didn't matter. These movies respected the author, the story (characters) and the fans.

Twilight the movie did none of those things. I mean you could barely tell it was a love story. I feel if they had taken the time to tell the love story of Bella and Edward then some of the changes would not have mattered. And don't tell me it was due to a small budget. I seen great movies done a on shoe string budget that were done better then this.

Now with New Moon under production and new director, maybe just maybe the story will be told right or it will bury the series altogether. I guess we will see.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Somewhere between dreams and reality

PreviousNext

Return to The Twilight Movie

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest