Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Edward Cullen #5

Post by Nena »

This is the place to discuss all the things you've wondered about Edward as an individual. Keep posts about Edward and Bella's relationship to the general discussion forum.

Edward and Bella's relationship discussion found here.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.

This is a serious discussion forum. Consider your posts thoughtfully. This is also not a debate forum. We are here to discuss in depth the characters of Twilight.

I'm going to address a few problems we had in the last threads. First of all, stay on topic. I know that sometimes discussions drift off a specific character. When this happens move the discussion to the appropriate character's thread and bring the discussion back to Edward. As long as the discussion involves Edward we'll let it stay since it is hard to discuss Edward without discussing Bella, but the main point of the discussion needs to be about Edward.

Also, varying opinions are welcomed. They make discussions interesting. However, it is not acceptable to say or imply that someone else's opinion is wrong. It's their opinion. If someone disagrees with you, you don't have to continue to argue with them. Sometimes we all have to step back and agree to disagree. The bickering and spats got a bit extreme in the past. Bullies and general meanness will not be tolerated. Be civil to one another please.

Contact a mod when this thread reaches 100 pages. You don't have to stop posting at 100 pages, just make sure a mod is contacted.

Previous Edward threads:
Edward Cullen
Edward Cullen #2
Edward Cullen #3
Edward Cullen #4
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Post by Jazz Girl »

Oh YAY!!!! Shiny Happy Thread # 5!!!! **Jazz Girl happy dances in her special corner**
Lunna-San wrote:JG:: I love Edward too, dear. I really hated this article. That seemed like... I don't know, the journalist had some sort of arguiment with his girlfriend and she probably spat something like "You should be more like Edward Cullen.", so he decided writting the article. Seriously, what did he add with that? Nothing. The whole things sounded like a moody guy discounting his frustration on the article just because he doesn't get it why people keep moaning over Edward Cullen. And the sad part is, there are men who actually can feel threatened by that. I'm happy because there are guys here in thread, who actually doesn't.

Personally, Edward makes me think of some of Jane Austen's men, like Edmund and Mr. Darcy... but he also makes me think of Angel, from Buffy. And on the outside... I imagine him as a very attractive man. Nothing feminine at all. The type of the guy who you see at the street and blush. When a guy is feminine, you notice that by the way he walks and if he actually was, as rings, said, Jacob wouldn't hesitate on pointing that out. He's not in touch with his "feminine side". He lived through an amount of years, reading people's thoughts. I think you can learn a lot with that.
Lunna-San~ As a HUGE Buffy fan myself, the comparison between Angel and Edward is inevitable. I absolutely love Angel and his tortured soul. But, even Angel and his broody angst has nothing on our Edward and his all consuming love for Bella. Even Angel seems almost a boy in comparison.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

As I have stated before - Edward is a man among men. Not a girly-man, not feminine, but a MAN - pure & simple.
He's is right up my alley of what I adore in a man. Faults & all. Far superior to any I have ever known personally and the ex doesn't even exist in the same universe as Edward Cullen. Of course, the ex doesn't exist as far as I'm concern - better that way. :twisted:
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Mmm...new thread smell. Well let's celebrate with an MEC question!

Do you think it's Edward's nature to be protective of people or was that something he developed over time?
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by amethyst »

You are a saviour, I tell you. This morning I was thinking that I missed "MEC's" questions and wondered about you. It is funny how these things work.

I think it is when you love someone as much as Edward loves Bella and his family, it is completely natural to feel protective of them as much as Edward shows us throughout the series. And he is even more paranoid and overprotective of Bella (even though, as he said in Twilight, he is not “naturally a tyrant”) because she is so fragile. Stephenie provided us with this great analogy, Bella is like a soap bubble in his hands -- and the slightest of touches and she could possibly die, thus him being enveloped in a series of overreactions and over protectiveness. It is really cute as far as I am concerned. So, no I don’t think he developed it over time and I don’t think it is his vampire nature either. He’s a protector because he has people in his life that he loves more than his own life and that it is defined characteristic of his. He has a very profound connection with his family and Bella, so it comes as no surprise when he does something crazy like leaving Bella for her own good.

Navarre . . . your post amazing!!
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Mmm...new thread smell. Well let's celebrate with an MEC question!

Do you think it's Edward's nature to be protective of people or was that something he developed over time?
Ahhh, Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3~ it is truly not an official thread until it has been celebrated with an official MEC question. Thank you.

Now, as to your question, I think it is a little of both actually. We know from Edward's history that he longed for nothing more than to join the military and fight in WWI. One could interpret that as being protective by nature. Protective of his family, protective of his way of life and protective of his country. Now, taking into account that Edward's protective nature, which we see expressed toward not only Bella, but Alice, Esme and Angela as well, tends to express itself in a stronger manner than many of his other personality traits. And, if we take Carlisle's theory that many vampires bring certain traits with them from humanity into immortality and those traits are strengthened through the transformation. Than, it stands to reason that Edward already had a very protective nature, and that nature was strengthened when Carlisle turned him.

However, at the same time, Edward spent nigh on 80 years in the company and under the mentorship of Dr. Carlisle Cullen. It could be argued, and quite convincingly I think, that Carlisle is also extremely protective by nature, particularly of his family. So, you have Edward, who has his preternaturally heightened protective nature, honing and perfecting those impulses and instincts under Carlisle's guidance. Nature and nurture working in concert.

Now, let's throw into his life a woman whose life and safety he comes to value so much more than his own happiness or existence. Edward cannot help but to be overprotective, treating her like the delicate and fragile beauty she is.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

amethyst wrote:You are a saviour, I tell you. This morning I was thinking that I missed "MEC's" questions and wondered about you. It is funny how these things work.

I think it is when you love someone as much as Edward loves Bella and his family, it is completely natural to feel protective of them as much as Edward shows us throughout the series. And he is even more paranoid and overprotective of Bella (even though, as he said in Twilight, he is not “naturally a tyrant”) because she is so fragile. Stephenie provided us with this great analogy, Bella is like a soap bubble in his hands -- and the slightest of touches and she could possibly die, thus him being enveloped in a series of overreactions and over protectiveness. It is really cute as far as I am concerned. So, no I don’t think he developed it over time and I don’t think it is his vampire nature either. He’s a protector because he has people in his life that he loves more than his own life and that it is defined characteristic of his. He has a very profound connection with his family and Bella, so it comes as no surprise when he does something crazy like leaving Bella for her own good.
MEC ~ A new thread is not official until you baptize it with an MEC question. :D

Amethyst ~ Could not have said any better than that. Ditto!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Aww thanks guys.
I can't answer that question. amethyst and JG just gave perfect answers.
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote: Do you think it's Edward's nature to be protective of people or was that something he developed over time?
i think that edward has always been one to watch out for others. that this is one of his human traits that carried over. When he was a human he was in the military (or going to be) so that shows his selflessness for others. then he lost his parents and became a vamp. and while he says he doesnt remember them well, i think it is a reminder of how fragile humans are. maybe like survivors guilt. then when he meets bella, who he him self almost kills, it reminds him again of the fragile nature of humans and since he had the power and went through all that to not kill her he will be determined to not let anything else happen to her. he is also very protective of his family and i think that is based on the same selfless attitude he has always had. a little bit prolly comes from him being one of the oldest and having his ability, but mainly it is just part of his beautiful personality
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Do you know why you are so fabulous, JG? It is because of phrases like this:
Jazz Girl wrote:" Edward spent nigh on 80 years..."
Seriously, what a lovely turn of phrase. Can I be like you when I grow up?

Also, yay new thread! Man, new Robward thread & new Edward thread all in one day, I can hardly take it.

Image Image Image