Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Post by Dovrebanen »

New thread. Let's make the most of it :)
amethyst wrote:You are a saviour, I tell you. This morning I was thinking that I missed "MEC's" questions and wondered about you. It is funny how these things work.

I think it is when you love someone as much as Edward loves Bella and his family, it is completely natural to feel protective of them as much as Edward shows us throughout the series. And he is even more paranoid and overprotective of Bella (even though, as he said in Twilight, he is not “naturally a tyrant”) because she is so fragile. Stephenie provided us with this great analogy, Bella is like a soap bubble in his hands -- and the slightest of touches and she could possibly die, thus him being enveloped in a series of overreactions and over protectiveness. It is really cute as far as I am concerned. So, no I don’t think he developed it over time and I don’t think it is his vampire nature either. He’s a protector because he has people in his life that he loves more than his own life and that it is defined characteristic of his. He has a very profound connection with his family and Bella, so it comes as no surprise when he does something crazy like leaving Bella for her own good.

Navarre . . . your post amazing!!
This has been answered perfectly. But I can't resist giving some praise to Edward...In my opinion Edward has a very good heart from natures side. As far as I can remember his father got sick first (or at least died first), and I can definitely see Edward catching the disease by caring for his parents with no regard for his own health. As I said, not sure that's what happened, but I can see it. Because he is genuinely a good and caring person, concerned for the well-being of others.
And I think he knows just how fragile humans are. He has lived through wars and epidemics, seen the world for so many decades. He know that people can die from all sorts of thing. I believe he says that in one of the books or maybe the book that shall not be named? And then when he falls in love with Bella, who is very human, clumsy and a magnet for trouble, his protective side really kicks in. He wants to protect her from all the dangers of the world, but most of all he wants to protect her from himself. From the moment he realizes that he loves her, nothing else matters than to keep her safe at all times. So I think that he does have a caring and protective nature. And obviously he has learned a lot from Carlisle. But I agree with you amethyst, that this is something that appears because of his love for his family and Bella. He would give his life and happiness for them, because he loves them.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

New question time!

In BD, Bella said she "born to be a vampire." Do you think Edward was also "born to be a vampire"?
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

akire wrote:Do you know why you are so fabulous, JG? It is because of phrases like this:
Jazz Girl wrote:" Edward spent nigh on 80 years..."

Seriously, what a lovely turn of phrase. Can I be like you when I grow up?

[color=#404OFF]Akire~ Hahahaha!! Thanks. Truly. But if you want to be like me when you grow up, doesn't that mean I have to grow up first? :lol:

Seriously, though. I am a fan of language. Ironically, I think it is a reason that that bloody commentary article snapped my teeth together so much. Edward speaks eloquently and, as Bella points out, from a different time when language was much more expressive. It is one of those things that I absolutely love about him. Those stupid cavemen mad no attempt to even understand that aspect. But, particularly when I write, that comes out. It actually gets me in more trouble than not. I write a lot of grant applications for my job, and they don't like a lot of words. But, thanks for that. :D

Dovrebanen wrote:This has been answered perfectly. But I can't resist giving some praise to Edward...In my opinion Edward has a very good heart from natures side. As far as I can remember his father got sick first (or at least died first), and I can definitely see Edward catching the disease by caring for his parents with no regard for his own health. As I said, not sure that's what happened, but I can see it. Because he is genuinely a good and caring person, concerned for the well-being of others.
And I think he knows just how fragile humans are. He has lived through wars and epidemics, seen the world for so many decades. He know that people can die from all sorts of thing. I believe he says that in one of the books or maybe the book that shall not be named? And then when he falls in love with Bella, who is very human, clumsy and a magnet for trouble, his protective side really kicks in. He wants to protect her from all the dangers of the world, but most of all he wants to protect her from himself. From the moment he realizes that he loves her, nothing else matters than to keep her safe at all times. So I think that he does have a caring and protective nature. And obviously he has learned a lot from Carlisle. But I agree with you amethyst, that this is something that appears because of his love for his family and Bella. He would give his life and happiness for them, because he loves them.

Dovrebanen~ I can see that as well. Just maybe in a different way. We know from Carlisle that Elizabeth Masen worsened her condition by trying to care for Edward, even in the hospital. But, I can see Edward weakening himself by trying to take over for his father after he got sick, working and taking care of his family so his mother could tend to his father. Then, when his mother got sick, he might have tried to care for her as well, worsening his condition so much more quickly. Yes, absolutely I can see that.

And, yes, Edward speaks very explicitly about all of the dangers even the human world poses to Bella through accidents, disease, other humans. It is in DHN when he is hunting with Emmett the weekend Bella goes to LaPush with Mike and Jessica and the crew. He tells Emmett,
"Just imagine for one minute that Rosalie was human, Emmett. And she could run into a bear...or get hit by a car...or
lightening...or fall down stairs...or get sick--get a disease!" The words burst from me stormily. It was a
relief to let them out--they'd been festering inside me all weekend. "Fires and earthquakes and tornadoes! Ugh! When's
the last time you watched the news? Have you seen the kinds of things that happen to them? Burglaries and hom-
icides..." My teeth clenched together, and I was abruptly so infuriated by the idea of another human hurting her that
I couldn't breathe." (DHN p 150)

He even says when he is describing all the things that attract him to Bella that the fact that she is seriously lacking in the sense of self preservation category enflames his protective instincts. It is one more thing that binds them together.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:New question time!

In BD, Bella said she "born to be a vampire." Do you think Edward was also "born to be a vampire"?
He certainly slid into his new existence better than Rosalie. I think one of his strongest assets is that he can adapt to his environment and therefore his new life. He would have had his struggles with his new appetite and nature, unlike his beloved, who even though struggled with the thirst, was able to overcome it with far more determination and concentration. (Example: her first hunting trip with Edward and the human scent they came across.) Edward, I feel would have taken a little longer in that area. Case in point, when some ten years after his "birth", he went through the rebellious stage of wanting to satiate his thirst his way and left Carlisle & Esme for what - two or three years? Then realized he was wrong and return to Carlisle and recommitted to his(Carlisle's) vision and they welcomed him back like the prodigal son.
Edward is strong and determined and obviously persevered under Carlisle's guidance to become the excellent vampire that we see today.
Hope this made some sense. :)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

navarre wrote:
He certainly slid into his new existence better than Rosalie. I think one of his strongest assets is that he can adapt to his environment and therefore his new life. He would have had his struggles with his new appetite and nature, unlike his beloved, who even though struggled with the thirst, was able to overcome it with far more determination and concentration. (Example: her first hunting trip with Edward and the human scent they came across.) Edward, I feel would have taken a little longer in that area. Case in point, when some ten years after his "birth", he went through the rebellious stage of wanting to satiate his thirst his way and left Carlisle & Esme for what - two or three years? Then realized he was wrong and return to Carlisle and recommitted to his(Carlisle's) vision and they welcomed him back like the prodigal son.
Edward is strong and determined and obviously persevered under Carlisle's guidance to become the excellent vampire that we see today.
Hope this made some sense. :)
Nice Navarre.

As Bella would say Edward can do anything, okay not the tracking thing. Though I think if he hadn't been in so much emotional distress at the time, he would have been good at that too. But getting back to the question. I think Edward is one of those people who are born to achieve no matter what. If he had stayed human and gone off to the military, I believe he would have done quite well. His platoon would have probably rally around him like the Cullen's do. In his case, and well stated by Navarre, he does need time to adapt but then he flourishes. So whether human or vampire he would always be successful.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Jazz Girl wrote: And, yes, Edward speaks very explicitly about all of the dangers even the human world poses to Bella through accidents, disease, other humans. It is in DHN when he is hunting with Emmett the weekend Bella goes to LaPush with Mike and Jessica and the crew. He tells Emmett,
"Just imagine for one minute that Rosalie was human, Emmett. And she could run into a bear...or get hit by a car...or
lightening...or fall down stairs...or get sick--get a disease!" The words burst from me stormily. It was a
relief to let them out--they'd been festering inside me all weekend. "Fires and earthquakes and tornadoes! Ugh! When's
the last time you watched the news? Have you seen the kinds of things that happen to them? Burglaries and hom-
icides..." My teeth clenched together, and I was abruptly so infuriated by the idea of another human hurting her that
I couldn't breathe." (DHN p 150)
Your way of finding quotes is just amazing. I would have had to read the whole thing over again to find it. That was the quote I was looking for. Thanks.

I agree with that has been said here that Edward is good at anything. So after a rocky start, I think he has adjusted to vampire life very well. He did have his rebellious years, where he found it difficult to accept both who he was and the constraints that Carlisle's lifestyle pressed upon him. But the fact that he came back shows immense strength and character. So he wasn't born to be a vampire, but he has certainly become a good one. Bella was exceptional, they had never seen anyone like her. And Edward was probably a crazy newborn, being taken care of by Carlisle. What I think has been the problem for Edward is that he hasn't been happy in his more than 80 years as a vampire. He has been lonely and seen himself as a monster. So I don't think he was fully able to appreciate forever until he had someone to share it with. And I think that's the case with all of the Cullens. None of them chose to become a vampire, while Bella did. She actively chose forever with Edward, and I think that made it easier for her to become a vampire. Edward didn't have that when he was a newborn. So in my opinion vampire life has been more difficult for Edward than it was for Bella. In the end he was able to accept that Bella loved him, and that he wasn't a monster.
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by amethyst »

Dovrebanen wrote:This has been answered perfectly. But I can't resist giving some praise to Edward...In my opinion Edward has a very good heart from natures side. As far as I can remember his father got sick first (or at least died first), and I can definitely see Edward catching the disease by caring for his parents with no regard for his own health. As I said, not sure that's what happened, but I can see it. Because he is genuinely a good and caring person, concerned for the well-being of others...
I absolutely agree. I do think it is a characteristic he brought on to his next life, and much like Jazz Girl had stated the instinct intensified. What I was trying to illustrate was that the protector instinct can also be considered innate and his love for his family, Bella and Renesmee triggers it to some higher degree.

I do think Edward was born to be a vampire along with Carlisle, Jasper, Alice . . . I don’t necessarily believe that you have to have the impossible strength Bella (and Carlisle) had managed to accomplish during her newborn years to be born to become a vampire. When Aro told Bella that she was born to become a vampire, I took it to mean that was always what was in her fate. In fact, Bella was always supposed to become a vampire regardless if she had chosen to or not and I think BD illustrates that to some degree. With Edward, I think of it more like vampirism finding him as opposed to with Bella, her finding vampirism. The outcome is the same, how they ended up with the outcome is the difference . . . So they both ended up with the same fate that, and to find each other. :)
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Kachiti wrote:As Bella would say Edward can do anything, okay not the tracking thing. Though I think if he hadn't been in so much emotional distress at the time, he would have been good at that too. But getting back to the question. I think Edward is one of those people who are born to achieve no matter what. If he had stayed human and gone off to the military, I believe he would have done quite well. His platoon would have probably rally around him like the Cullen's do. In his case, and well stated by Navarre, he does need time to adapt but then he flourishes. So whether human or vampire he would always be successful.
Kachiti~ I love the way you make this point. I have always seen Edward as one of those young men who is driven to distinction. He is a young man who is determined to be perfect at everything. As a human young man, he was the best son, the best student, the best musician, the best everything, pleasing his parents with his achievements time and time again. When he was transformed, this natural instinct to be the best at everything he tried was brought with him, just as his protective nature, intelligence and all those other wonderful Edward qualities. But, how do you become the best vampire? Do you consume the most humans? Do you take out the most of your kind? I always saw that as the reason Edward struggled with his transformation. To my mind, Edward was actually a fairly well-controlled newborn. Nowhere near Bella, of course. But, I think once Carlisle convinced him of the veggie lifestyle, that gave him a goal to achieve, something to excel at without being a monster. He had his period of rebellion like all adolescents do. But he regained his footing fairly quickly.

So, to answer the question directly, I agree with Amethyst in a way. I think Edward was born to excel at anything he did, and in his case, it was vampirism.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Jazz Girl wrote: But, how do you become the best vampire? Do you consume the most humans? Do you take out the most of your kind? I always saw that as the reason Edward struggled with his transformation. To my mind, Edward was actually a fairly well-controlled newborn. Nowhere near Bella, of course. But, I think once Carlisle convinced him of the veggie lifestyle, that gave him a goal to achieve, something to excel at without being a monster. He had his period of rebellion like all adolescents do. But he regained his footing fairly quickly.

So, to answer the question directly, I agree with Amethyst in a way. I think Edward was born to excel at anything he did, and in his case, it was vampirism. [/color]
That's a good question Jazz Girl. What makes an excellent vampire? I think that would be answered very differently by the Volturi and the Cullens. I think the fact the he desired human blood was extremely difficult for Edward to accept. I would bet he felt like a complete monster during his rebellious years, because Edward is not a killer really. He didn't want to be, and he at least made it a cause to only take humans with bad intentions. Not that it makes killing right, but it proves that there always was some good in him and a conscience. I agree that it was so important for him to return to Carlisle and assume his life style. That made Edward see that he didn't have to be a monster, and that he could control himself. I can't imagine someone like Edward wandering alone and hunting down innocent people for all of his existence. He had too much good in him, and Carlisle helped him be the best vampire through his lifestyle. So I think what I'm saying is that what matters is what you do with the hand that you are dealt in life, and I think that Edward has done very well after his rebellious years.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

MEC, what would be of this forum without your tricky questions?

I honestly don't know. Bella, we know, almost did not have other option (I know... Jacob. But there is also Alice's vision). Either she would turn into a vampire or she would die. Edward... he's different because we don't have much elements about him and his previous life. I'm inclined to say yes... because this life, as a vampire, gave him so much more than he could ever wish as a human boy. As a vampire, he met Bella and she gave him Renesmee.

As a human boy, Edward wanted to be 18 and go to war. Maybe he could have get married and started a family... who knows? I'd like to think that things happens for a reason and Edward was, somehow, destined to meet Bella. So, I think yes, he was kind of "born to be a vampire". if he wasn't one, he would never met his soul mate.

JG:: I don't think Angel is boyish. he made the same decision that Edward did... to leave the person he loved, so she could have a normal life (as normal as the life of a vampire slayer allowed, of course). What happened to them it's they chose different paths. Their love was beautiful, but it wasn't enough. So, they moved on. I believe they never stopped loving each other. They weren't meant to be. This was a possibility, even for Bella and Edward. Fortunetely for us, it was their destiny to be together forever.

Amenthyst: : On the old Edward's thread you asked me about my first language. I posted my reply there, but I don't know if you read it. Anyway, my first language it's Portuguese, I'm Brazilian. Thanks a lot for the compliments. Reading in English and then posting here, writting fanfics, etc, helps a lot with grammar and vocabulary. ;)