Edward Cullen #5

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby AnnetteandEdward » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 pm

navarre wrote:As I have stated before - Edward is a man among men. Not a girly-man, not feminine, but a MAN - pure & simple.
He's is right up my alley of what I adore in a man. Faults & all. Far superior to any I have ever known personally and the ex doesn't even exist in the same universe as Edward Cullen. Of course, the ex doesn't exist as far as I'm concern - better that way. :twisted:



I wanted to let this pass but the more I think about it I can't - what is up with these girls and women that they can't tell the different between a girly-man and a gentleman.

Just to clarify - The manners of a gentleman are shown by his refinement and his consideration of others feelings and wishes. Also - a biggie here - The willingness to practice self denial! Something most men don't do today and something that women should expect. It's sad - some females think that allowing a male to open doors, to pull out a chair for you is a dig or cut - well you get the idea. Gentlemen are all about making their lady feel special, protected and accommodating.

There are gentleman left in the world - they are few and far between. Edward was/is a gentleman - he killed his prey efficiently and fed without blood covering him. - Sorry - this just bothered me.
AnnetteandEdward
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 pm
Location: with Edward

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby navarre » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 am

AnnetteandEdward wrote:
navarre wrote:As I have stated before - Edward is a man among men. Not a girly-man, not feminine, but a MAN - pure & simple.
He's is right up my alley of what I adore in a man. Faults & all. Far superior to any I have ever known personally and the ex doesn't even exist in the same universe as Edward Cullen. Of course, the ex doesn't exist as far as I'm concern - better that way. :twisted:



I wanted to let this pass but the more I think about it I can't - what is up with these girls and women that they can't tell the different between a girly-man and a gentleman.

Just to clarify - The manners of a gentleman are shown by his refinement and his consideration of others feelings and wishes. Also - a biggie here - The willingness to practice self denial! Something most men don't do today and something that women should expect. It's sad - some females think that allowing a male to open doors, to pull out a chair for you is a dig or cut - well you get the idea. Gentlemen are all about making their lady feel special, protected and accommodating.

There are gentleman left in the world - they are few and far between. Edward was/is a gentleman - he killed his prey efficiently and fed without blood covering him. - Sorry - this just bothered me.



What about my post is so disturbing to you? I was taking issue with those who felt that Edward was a girly-man because he was a gentleman, because he could control himself. A lot of men think that a hard-on and animalistic behavior make them a man. It takes tremendous inner strength, determination and focus to curb those horn-ball reactions that most men display.
Edward is a man among the male population because of his inner strength, his masculinity, his gentlemanliness and his ability to use the area between his ears and not between his legs - to think.

He is highly intelligent, well versed, strong yet gentle - he has the cajones to stand for something benefit his family or against anything that would threaten his family in general and his beloved in particular.

I do not have much faith or hope in the male populace - I've seen nothing but crap and have experienced far worse which is why I drown myself in this fictional world and Edward Cullen. Pathetic? Maybe, but it is a much safer and wonderful place to be - for me.

So, AnnetteandEdward I was NOT attacking Edward, on the contrary, I was handing out a heart-felt compliment.
Crystal?
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:39 am

I think maybe she was agreeing with you navarre, and posted your post as a reference?

But again, let's remember that if someone finds Edward to be girly, they aren't necessarily wrong even if you don't agree. This entire debate is simply over the way someone comes off to you, personally. It's like asking if a character is likable. It's interesting to discuss because so many people's opinions vary, but only so long as everyone can remember that everyone is going to react differently especially in cases like this.

I, personally, think that Edward CAN come off a little feminine at times. But maybe we should attribute this to the fact that he is being written by a FEMALE.

When I see Edward as coming off feminine though, it's always at a point where it seems a little too much, the writing that is. All the male characters have a tendency to get a little over-the-top and have girlie moments, probably because Stephenie is a woman.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby navarre » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 am

holdingoutforjacob wrote:I think maybe she was agreeing with you navarre, and posted your post as a reference?

But again, let's remember that if someone finds Edward to be girly, they aren't necessarily wrong even if you don't agree. This entire debate is simply over the way someone comes off to you, personally. It's like asking if a character is likable. It's interesting to discuss because so many people's opinions vary, but only so long as everyone can remember that everyone is going to react differently especially in cases like this.

I, personally, think that Edward CAN come off a little feminine at times. But maybe we should attribute this to the fact that he is being written by a FEMALE.

When I see Edward as coming off feminine though, it's always at a point where it seems a little too much, the writing that is. All the male characters have a tendency to get a little over-the-top and have girlie moments, probably because Stephenie is a woman.


Okay. If that is the case, then I totally misunderstood her post as a reference in point instead of thinking I was putting Edward down or whatever. Then my last question posed to her "Crystal?" should be applied to me instead regarding her post.
Crystal - navarre?

Thanks for pointing that out HOFJ. It can be easy to misunderstand peoples posts when you can't hear voice inflections and see the faces behind the posts.
I hate misundestanding people - I feel really stupid about it. :?
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Don't feel stupid - we all do it all the time! Think about how many times on these threads people clarify their point or post. It's always going to happen and it's not a problem, as long as we all keep a clear head and just work things out.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby AnnetteandEdward » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:50 pm

navarre wrote:
AnnetteandEdward wrote:
navarre wrote:As I have stated before - Edward is a man among men. Not a girly-man, not feminine, but a MAN - pure & simple.
He's is right up my alley of what I adore in a man. Faults & all. Far superior to any I have ever known personally and the ex doesn't even exist in the same universe as Edward Cullen. Of course, the ex doesn't exist as far as I'm concern - better that way. :twisted:



I wanted to let this pass but the more I think about it I can't - what is up with these girls and women that they can't tell the different between a girly-man and a gentleman.

Just to clarify - The manners of a gentleman are shown by his refinement and his consideration of others feelings and wishes. Also - a biggie here - The willingness to practice self denial! Something most men don't do today and something that women should expect. It's sad - some females think that allowing a male to open doors, to pull out a chair for you is a dig or cut - well you get the idea. Gentlemen are all about making their lady feel special, protected and accommodating.

There are gentleman left in the world - they are few and far between. Edward was/is a gentleman - he killed his prey efficiently and fed without blood covering him. - Sorry - this just bothered me.



What about my post is so disturbing to you? I was taking issue with those who felt that Edward was a girly-man because he was a gentleman, because he could control himself. A lot of men think that a hard-on and animalistic behavior make them a man. It takes tremendous inner strength, determination and focus to curb those horn-ball reactions that most men display.
Edward is a man among the male population because of his inner strength, his masculinity, his gentlemanliness and his ability to use the area between his ears and not between his legs - to think.

He is highly intelligent, well versed, strong yet gentle - he has the cajones to stand for something benefit his family or against anything that would threaten his family in general and his beloved in particular.

I do not have much faith or hope in the male populace - I've seen nothing but crap and have experienced far worse which is why I drown myself in this fictional world and Edward Cullen. Pathetic? Maybe, but it is a much safer and wonderful place to be - for me.

So, AnnetteandEdward I was NOT attacking Edward, on the contrary, I was handing out a heart-felt compliment.
Crystal?



Navarre, I'm SORRY - I was agreeing with you - it was the whole thought that people in general think a man can't be strong and caring like caring turning them into a girl - whew still makes me mad sorry getting upset about it again - I know you wouldn't attack Edward unless he deserved it - what was bothering me was these girls/women who don't get what a gentleman is and what he is suppose to be. I'm in your world I refer to mine as my escape from this world. Again - I repeat I was agreeing with you! Peace, friends :?: please...
AnnetteandEdward
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 pm
Location: with Edward

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby navarre » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:55 pm

AnnetteandEdward wrote:
navarre wrote:
AnnetteandEdward wrote:
navarre wrote:As I have stated before - Edward is a man among men. Not a girly-man, not feminine, but a MAN - pure & simple.
He's is right up my alley of what I adore in a man. Faults & all. Far superior to any I have ever known personally and the ex doesn't even exist in the same universe as Edward Cullen. Of course, the ex doesn't exist as far as I'm concern - better that way. :twisted:



I wanted to let this pass but the more I think about it I can't - what is up with these girls and women that they can't tell the different between a girly-man and a gentleman.

Just to clarify - The manners of a gentleman are shown by his refinement and his consideration of others feelings and wishes. Also - a biggie here - The willingness to practice self denial! Something most men don't do today and something that women should expect. It's sad - some females think that allowing a male to open doors, to pull out a chair for you is a dig or cut - well you get the idea. Gentlemen are all about making their lady feel special, protected and accommodating.

There are gentleman left in the world - they are few and far between. Edward was/is a gentleman - he killed his prey efficiently and fed without blood covering him. - Sorry - this just bothered me.



What about my post is so disturbing to you? I was taking issue with those who felt that Edward was a girly-man because he was a gentleman, because he could control himself. A lot of men think that a hard-on and animalistic behavior make them a man. It takes tremendous inner strength, determination and focus to curb those horn-ball reactions that most men display.
Edward is a man among the male population because of his inner strength, his masculinity, his gentlemanliness and his ability to use the area between his ears and not between his legs - to think.

He is highly intelligent, well versed, strong yet gentle - he has the cajones to stand for something benefit his family or against anything that would threaten his family in general and his beloved in particular.

I do not have much faith or hope in the male populace - I've seen nothing but crap and have experienced far worse which is why I drown myself in this fictional world and Edward Cullen. Pathetic? Maybe, but it is a much safer and wonderful place to be - for me.

So, AnnetteandEdward I was NOT attacking Edward, on the contrary, I was handing out a heart-felt compliment.
Crystal?



Navarre, I'm SORRY - I was agreeing with you - it was the whole thought that people in general think a man can't be strong and caring like caring turning them into a girl - whew still makes me mad sorry getting upset about it again - I know you wouldn't attack Edward unless he deserved it - what was bothering me was these girls/women who don't get what a gentleman is and what he is suppose to be. I'm in your world I refer to mine as my escape from this world. Again - I repeat I was agreeing with you! Peace, friends :?: please...


MY mistake - not yours. I misunderstood and don't ask me how I did, I just did. HOFJ kindly pointed that out to me. You owe me NO apology. I owe you one for not getting what you were trying to convey. My apologies instead.
Peace & great joy my fellow Lexer. Friends - always.

What you just said above regarding Edward - exactly.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:53 pm

AnnetteandEdward wrote:
navarre wrote:
AnnetteandEdward wrote:
navarre wrote:As I have stated before - Edward is a man among men. Not a girly-man, not feminine, but a MAN - pure & simple.
He's is right up my alley of what I adore in a man. Faults & all. Far superior to any I have ever known personally and the ex doesn't even exist in the same universe as Edward Cullen. Of course, the ex doesn't exist as far as I'm concern - better that way. :twisted:



I wanted to let this pass but the more I think about it I can't - what is up with these girls and women that they can't tell the different between a girly-man and a gentleman.

Just to clarify - The manners of a gentleman are shown by his refinement and his consideration of others feelings and wishes. Also - a biggie here - The willingness to practice self denial! Something most men don't do today and something that women should expect. It's sad - some females think that allowing a male to open doors, to pull out a chair for you is a dig or cut - well you get the idea. Gentlemen are all about making their lady feel special, protected and accommodating.

There are gentleman left in the world - they are few and far between. Edward was/is a gentleman - he killed his prey efficiently and fed without blood covering him. - Sorry - this just bothered me.



What about my post is so disturbing to you? I was taking issue with those who felt that Edward was a girly-man because he was a gentleman, because he could control himself. A lot of men think that a hard-on and animalistic behavior make them a man. It takes tremendous inner strength, determination and focus to curb those horn-ball reactions that most men display.
Edward is a man among the male population because of his inner strength, his masculinity, his gentlemanliness and his ability to use the area between his ears and not between his legs - to think.

He is highly intelligent, well versed, strong yet gentle - he has the cajones to stand for something benefit his family or against anything that would threaten his family in general and his beloved in particular.

I do not have much faith or hope in the male populace - I've seen nothing but crap and have experienced far worse which is why I drown myself in this fictional world and Edward Cullen. Pathetic? Maybe, but it is a much safer and wonderful place to be - for me.

So, AnnetteandEdward I was NOT attacking Edward, on the contrary, I was handing out a heart-felt compliment.
Crystal?



Navarre, I'm SORRY - I was agreeing with you - it was the whole thought that people in general think a man can't be strong and caring like caring turning them into a girl - whew still makes me mad sorry getting upset about it again - I know you wouldn't attack Edward unless he deserved it - what was bothering me was these girls/women who don't get what a gentleman is and what he is suppose to be. I'm in your world I refer to mine as my escape from this world. Again - I repeat I was agreeing with you! Peace, friends :?: please...


Excuse me? I find that mildly offensive. Please remember that all opinions are valid here - even ones that you don't agree with.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby navarre » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:37 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Excuse me? I find that mildly offensive. Please remember that all opinions are valid here - even ones that you don't agree with.


Why? What is so offensive? Basically, I'm the one who misunderstood AnnetteandEdward when I thought SHE thought I was bashing Edward. My mistake, not hers. She thought she offended me, I'm the one who reacted wrong because I misunderstood her. I apologized.
But even if she had thought differently, I would not have been upset with her - that would have been her opinion.
Lots of people have diametric views on these characters - I don't always hold the same opinion, but I'm not going to blow a fuse. The only time I get upset is when someone accuses a character of being something they are not.
Case in point: Jacob has been accused of being a pediphile and Edward an abuser. That's when I get ticked off.
Because Jacob is NOT a pediphile and Edward is NOT an abuser.
Jacob NEVER, ever viewed Ness as an object of desire or lust. He saw her as someone to protect with his life and then when she grew up....
Edward overeacted when it came to Bella, but when Bella talked with him, reasoned with him, he saw her point and backed off. Abusers are NOT capable of reasoning. Edward was capable and like Jacob - a fine man.
You have intense views of Bella - I disagree with them, but that's your view and that's fine.
Lets move on.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Postby amethyst » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:59 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Excuse me? I find that mildly offensive. Please remember that all opinions are valid here - even ones that you don't agree with.

Hmm, you never seemed to mind previously to tell someone their opinion is wrong or ridiculous, do you finally understand what it feels like? Of coarse that wasn’t what AnnettteandEdward had implied . . .

I am very sorry Lunna-san. I did read it actually, I just forgot to reply to it. Ugh, I tend to forget easily sometimes. My apologizes. Anyways . . . Wow, that’s so cool (I love brazil. It’s my one of my favourite teams during the FIFA world cup series--do you watch it?) . . . I tried learning random phrases (like hello etc) in Portuguese once, just for fun, it didn’t work out that nice. I could only remember the word “lets go” because it’s very catchy. Vamos Vamos!!! :lol: :lol:

ahhh, Jazz Girl, a very interesting question . . . I am running out the door soon, so I'll have plenty time to think about your question and reply later. :)
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:27 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sparkling in the Sun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests