Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Post by navarre »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:New question:

Who do you think Edward is closest to in his family(besides his wife)?

Whoot!!! MEC questions!!!!! *spins wildly in circles*

I would say Alice. Because both of them possess similiar quantifiable supernatural gifts; Alice as a "watcher/seer and Edward as a mind reader. They both have a deep connection on that level. They trust each, they have each others back, they can relate to each other on a level that the others just can't (with the exception of Jasper to Alice, of course).

Next would be Emmett. If I remember correctly Edward stated in MS that Emmett was someone who also had his back when needed. Emmett has a directness to him the Edward appreciated and he could count on Emmett to get to the point on things and give an open and honest answer even if it hurt.

Carlisle. Edward's father in so many ways. Edward looked up to him and deeply respected his opinion on things. Something else that I loved was when Edward went to Carlisle after Edward & Bella made their "agreement" in regards to the honeymoon and they had the "sex talk". :lol: Pretty cool. Now that's a good father/son scenario if I ever read one.

Esme. His mother in so many ways. She was tender and gentle and kind, probably some of the traits that his human mother possessed. I felt her truly admired her and her relationship with Carlisle.

Jasper. That one to me was more nebulus. I believe he truly liked and even admired Jasper for surviving the life that he lead and eventually turned from. He saw Jasper's devotion to Alice as amazing considering both of their backgrounds. That's all I can say on that one.

Rosalie would be the last - for obvious reasons.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:New question:

Who do you think Edward is closest to in his family(besides his wife)?
I think he is closest to Alice. They share similar talents, and in a way their talents can be seen as intrusive by other people. They seem to have a complete understanding for each other. They can have silent conversations and planning, with Alice filling Edward in on what's going to happen. I also see in in the fact that Alice loves Bella so much. She was truly happy for Edward, like we saw in DHN. She knew she would be best friends with Bella, whereas a lot of the others were not so supportive of their relationship.
Next I would say Carlisle. They have been together since Edward was a newborn (except the rebellious years), and have gotten close. It is clear that they have a mutual respect, and Carlisle is so proud of his son. Edward wishes he could be like Carlisle, and he doesn't see that he in fact is. Carlisle also shows great love and concern for Bella.

I'm not going to go into the other relatonships since navarre and Jazz Girl covered that perfectly.
Edward is loves everyone in his family. He is not too close with Rosalie, they never have been, but still I think he has love for her also in way.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Kachiti wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:

I'm not trying to dissect anything at all. I was simply stating that, while I understand why Edward speaks the way he does, I also understand how it can come off. And really, who are you to dictate whether or not my impression of that is right, wrong, or silly?

I have never classified his actions OR speech as "girly" or "feminine" until now. My only point was that I could understand WHY he came off that way.

You never did address the fact that you've entirely misunderstood the purpose of my post.

I'm on my way to church but let me first say.
HOFJ,

No I didn't miss understand your post or posts. You stated that you felt Edward's speech was on the feminine side. No where in that post did you state that you understood why. And NO WHERE in any of my responses did I say that your impression was wrong or silly. I simply stated that I did not understand your reasoning.

And as usual, Navarre you have the wisdom in words that I so sadly lack.
so, you knowingly commented on something that wasn't really part of my general point rather than further discussion and instead chose to be aggressive and dismissive? That doesn't really make sense to me. Sorry.

Anyway, in the end, I hope, though I doubt, that my point got across. The fact that Edward is chivalrous is wonderful, but it may not be the thing for all girls. And we're not wrong or in danger because we don't expect every single door to be held open for us. It's not the only way to be a good man.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
so, you knowingly commented on something that wasn't really part of my general point rather than further discussion and instead chose to be aggressive and dismissive? That doesn't really make sense to me. Sorry.
In what context do you mean?

holdingoutforjacob wrote: Anyway, in the end, I hope, though I doubt, that my point got across. The fact that Edward is chivalrous is wonderful, but it may not be the thing for all girls. And we're not wrong or in danger because we don't expect every single door to be held open for us. It's not the only way to be a good man.
Agreed
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

*sigh* it doesn't matter. I made my point, though I find it slightly odd that you chose to ignore that earlier, but as long as it's made, then let's move on.

Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Anyway, in the end, I hope, though I doubt, that my point got across. The fact that Edward is chivalrous is wonderful, but it may not be the thing for all girls. And we're not wrong or in danger because we don't expect every single door to be held open for us. It's not the only way to be a good man.
HoldingOutForJacob~ You are absolutely right in that all women are free to define their idea of a perfect man for them any way that they want. I think the concern comes in that some comments posted seem to contradict that idea. For instance, a young woman who posted that she thought it was perfectly acceptable for Jacob to force Bella to kiss her on the beach because eventually Bella recognized that she does love him. I am of course speaking completely for myself, but my experiences, both personally and in working with young women day in and day out, but there are times when having lived a little more life gives perspective that we can lack at a younger age.

In the end, again, it is up to each of us to determine who and what the right person is for us. But, perspective is never a bad thing when making that choice.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:so, you knowingly commented on something that wasn't really part of my general point rather than further discussion and instead chose to be aggressive and dismissive? That doesn't really make sense to me. Sorry.
I'm not involved in this, but it's fair game to comment/reply to/question any part of someone's post. Whether it's their "main point" or a side note or whatever.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Jazz Girl wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Anyway, in the end, I hope, though I doubt, that my point got across. The fact that Edward is chivalrous is wonderful, but it may not be the thing for all girls. And we're not wrong or in danger because we don't expect every single door to be held open for us. It's not the only way to be a good man.
HoldingOutForJacob~ You are absolutely right in that all women are free to define their idea of a perfect man for them any way that they want. I think the concern comes in that some comments posted seem to contradict that idea. For instance, a young woman who posted that she thought it was perfectly acceptable for Jacob to force Bella to kiss her on the beach because eventually Bella recognized that she does love him. I am of course speaking completely for myself, but my experiences, both personally and in working with young women day in and day out, but there are times when having lived a little more life gives perspective that we can lack at a younger age.

In the end, again, it is up to each of us to determine who and what the right person is for us. But, perspective is never a bad thing when making that choice.
But you see, in my mind, the implications of kissing someone without their "permission" are way more innocent than dismantling someone's truck, displaying the arrogance and control that Edward does. Maybe Edward's gentlemanliness is more of a classical nature, and that includes protect your woman, no matter what. I find that to be patronizing and degrading. Sure, I like being protected. But I don't like being controlled.

I think that your last sentence goes both ways, JG. I think older people forget a lot of the time what it's like to be young and make stupid choices, and how easily you do that.

I still resent the feeling I'm getting from many of you that if a girl doesn't think that Edward is a total gentleman and that chivalry is the be-all end-all of the universe she is young and inexperienced. I think it's very closed-minded and condescending.

twilight1909 - no. she ignored what she knew i was TRYING to say and instead nitpicked my post, and was also dismissive and disrespectful. what's the nicest way to say mind your own business? :D

Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

twilight1909 wrote: I'm not involved in this, but it's fair game to comment/reply to/question any part of someone's post. Whether it's their "main point" or a side note or whatever.
In that Twilight1909, you are correct.

holdingoutforjacob wrote: twilight1909 - no. she ignored what she knew i was TRYING to say and instead nitpicked my post, and was also dismissive and disrespectful. what's the nicest way to say mind your own business? :D
HOFJ,

Wow, I pointed out you said in your post about Edward's speech and called you on it. For doing so I am being branded as dismissive and disrespectful. Have you forgotten that forum is open to everyone. You stated your an opinion and I question it, which I believe is a right as a member of this site. In no way or form, did I call you a name, show you any disrespect or insult your intelligence. In saying this, I would expect the same from you but perhaps that is not possible.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:what's the nicest way to say mind your own business? :D
Ha. I saw that coming. It becomes my business when you post publicly on a forum that I'm a part of. You should PM someone if you want others to keep their nose out. ;)
holdingoutforjacob wrote:in my mind, the implications of kissing someone without their "permission" are way more innocent than dismantling someone's truck
The truck thing is not so black and white, right or wrong. I just went in depth with this on the Edward and Bella thread. Disabling Bella's vehicle in the context of WHY Edward did it, in Twilight and not in the real world, and considering the fact that they had previously discussed this, makes it so much different than the way you refer to it. Bella essentially forced Edward to "control" her by making him follow through with his promise to stop her.
I think the fact that Jacob kissed Bella against her will, not just without permission, is a black and white issue. Especially since she was in a committed relationship with Edward.

I would much rather be with an overprotective man than one who tries to force himself on me when my heart is already taken...
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo