General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Apple
Wandering Through Town

Re: Imprinting

Post by Apple »

i thought the whole imprinting thing was a really cool idea on SM's part. i read a lot of posts (in another forum) from people that were really creeped out by the idea of imprinting, specifically when someone imprints on someone who is much younger than them. that never bothered me, because i always saw imprinting as a sort of spiritual connection that will eventually turn into a romantic one.

i also thought that the idea of imprinting fit in well with the native american mythology that was a big part of the series. it seemed to go with all the notions of destiny and spirituality.
the welts of your scorn, my love, give me more
send whips of opinion down my back, give me more
well, its you i've waited my life to see
its you i've searched so hard for
Court
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Court »

I felt so bad for Leah with the whole imprinting situation. She really loved Sam then all of the sudden he goes to her cousin and she has to see that and hear how he thinks about Emily day after day. I can't imagine how painful that must be for her.
Nala
Wandering Through Town

Post by Nala »

It took ages for me to realize that Rennesme imprintend on Jake (or viceversa).

For my excuse I have to point on the fact that I read the book in english and I am not a native speaker, but when I got that fact...my mouth hung wide open :shock:
and I was glad when Bella was very annoyed too

now I giggle every time I think back to this scene

Stephenie, you Puck!
8-)
ALWAYS _________________________ Image
_____________________sorry to the unknown artist, couldnt detect you. still: I adore this image so! thank you!
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

i am undecided on imprinting. i think it is good if it works out, and i think that most of the characters are ahppy with it, but i affects so much more than just the imprinter and imprintee. i mean look at leah. i think something that could do something like that to someone is not good. i mean i takes away free will and all that. i think love is better because you get to chose someone because there is something about them that attracts you (personality etc) but with imprinting you are stuck, before you know the person

so yeah, i'm very unsure
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
Court
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Court »

I'll agree with you there. It seemed like sam and leah had a pretty good relationship and really loved eachother and then the whole imprinting thing came up. leah really got burned and both sam and emily, happy as they are, really have to deal with the after effects. it has it's pros and cons
Landiana
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

another thing

i think i would prefer the love that bella and Edward have. i think that when you imprint it can be messy. i mean look at quil. he is impritned on Clair and has to wait for years for her to be old enough. what if he met someone in that time and fell in love with her? then claire is old enough, so quil gets together with her. what happens to the poor girl quil was in love with while he was waiting. imprinting doesn't get rid of love, it just makes that particular pairing inevitable.
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I think imprinting really is true love. It just gets rid of all the worry and doubt and uncertainty that goes along with typical dating. It's sort of a short cut. I believe that Sam and Emily were meant to be and would have eventually ended up together even if imprinting didn't exist. The imprinting just made it instantaneous. I do feel very bad for Leah but I believe that she will eventually move on and get over Sam.

My concern is for the wolves that haven't imprinted yet. It's mentioned a few times in the books that not all wolves will imprint. In fact, they are shocked that so many have already imprinted. If you're a wolf that hasn't imprinted, how do you know if it's safe for you to date or not? I'm sure that knowing about the whole Sam/Leah/Emily thing, nobody wants to put themselves in a similar situation. But then again, they may never imprint so should they put dating on hold and if so, how long? Is there ever a point where they can be sure that they won't imprint? I would be afraid of ever getting close to anyone for fear of hurting them like poor Leah.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Lunna-san

Post by Lunna-san »

Court wrote:I'll agree with you there. It seemed like sam and leah had a pretty good relationship and really loved eachother and then the whole imprinting thing came up. leah really got burned and both sam and emily, happy as they are, really have to deal with the after effects. it has it's pros and cons
True. It's great because you bond with your soulmate, but it turns the werewolf like a captive of the feeling. And the person who was imprinted. How much of this need of attending the person's wishes is free will? People keep saying Bella and Edward's relationship isn't healthy, but this is far worse. The werewolf keeps giving in on his own wishes to please the deared one. How can this be fair? Besides, if the imprinted person loves you back it's great, but what if she/he doesn't? I wonder if there are cases of wolves imprinting on people of the same sex.
Court
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Court »

Lunna-san wrote:
Court wrote:I'll agree with you there. It seemed like sam and leah had a pretty good relationship and really loved eachother and then the whole imprinting thing came up. leah really got burned and both sam and emily, happy as they are, really have to deal with the after effects. it has it's pros and cons
True. It's great because you bond with your soulmate, but it turns the werewolf like a captive of the feeling. And the person who was imprinted. How much of this need of attending the person's wishes is free will? People keep saying Bella and Edward's relationship isn't healthy, but this is far worse. The werewolf keeps giving in on his own wishes to please the deared one. How can this be fair? Besides, if the imprinted person loves you back it's great, but what if she/he doesn't? I wonder if there are cases of wolves imprinting on people of the same sex.
hmm..interesting point. i wonder if doing whatever the person you imprinted on wants is like when the pack members couldn't disobey Sam. you don't have a choice but to do it.
Landiana

Post by Landiana »

i think is silly when people say that bella and edward are not healthy. i think the imprinting issue depends on what you veiw imprinting as. i agree that Sam and Emily are meant to be together but sam did not have enough time to get over leah. it obvious those feelings did not just disappear, but he was so caught up in emily that it made it worse for leah (if that makes any sense at all)

i think that the rason imprinting was so rare before was because the packs were so small.; in a larger pack they are bound to be more likely to imprint. i don't think that there is anyhting wrong with the ones who don't imprint though. i think normal human love is enough.

i don't veiw imprinting as true love though, that does not ring true with quil and claire for example.
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward