Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Movie Inconsistencies?

Post by The Dark Knight »

di0772 wrote:OMG, where do I start!

Don't get me wrong I like the movie for what it was - a Hollywood style chick flick but it didn't have enough substance.

The storyline was lost and the intensity left me feeling empty. Too much of the book was left out.

Did anyone notice the most important lines from the book were said in the wrong locations? Like Bella telling Edward he's a Vampire in the forest instead of having the conversation in the car. Oh hang on they left that scene or several car scenes out altogether. When they did put the lines in the timing was out, it really didn't follow the time line in the book. Bella arrives in January and they say she hasn't been there for years, it was only when she turned 14 and then Charlie went to California to have xmas with her.

It was the lack of attention to details that really peeved my off. Bella leaving Phoenix in a grey long sleeve shirt and black vest but in the book it was a white lace shirt. There was no rocking chair in Bellas room. Edwards car was meant to stand out but it look like a normal car. Edwards leather sofa should have been black. The stupid graduation hats on the wall. Bella wearing a jogger to the prom. I could keep going on and on and on but I don't think we have time. :lol:

Then there were the special moments from the book that we done sooo wrong. The Prom, they dance inside and Jacob cuts in. The Meadow where Edward desensitizes himself - gone. The first run - before they get to the meadow - hello it should have been after. Bella fainting. Bella having lunch with Edward. The car ride back from Port Angeles.

The scenes they messed up - Jacobs tribal legend saying it was another tribe instead of the cold ones and vampire. The Meadow. The fight at the end James bites Bella before Edward attacks. Meeting the Cullens - what were they thinking - cooking italian!!. Billy dropping off Bellas truck and Bella remembering Jacob cause they made mud pies. Edwards bedroom scene, need I go on. The hospital scene where Edward is with her when she wakes up, not her mum.

And finally the scenes that shouldn't have been there at all. The spider monkey scene is the scene I hate most about the movie. Eating at the diner. Bella leaving school and walking into the forest to tell Edwards he's a vampire. Bella cleaning her car and Edward jumping on the roof. Sitting in the rain by the river learning about how to change into a vampire. The others on the their killing spree.

I guess Catherine and Melissa didn't care for the detail or storyline. I have actually written a script and think it should be remade the way Stephenie wrote it, a love story.
Wow, you hit most of them...I did like the spider monkey scene & the extra that got cut out of Carliste & Esme...

I'm really not happy that Melissa is still the writer for NM & Eclipes...she just does not seem to have what it takes to lift the story form the pages without bending them to much to her view...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

di0772 wrote:OMG, where do I start!

Don't get me wrong I like the movie for what it was - a Hollywood style chick flick but it didn't have enough substance.

The storyline was lost and the intensity left me feeling empty. Too much of the book was left out.

Did anyone notice the most important lines from the book were said in the wrong locations? Like Bella telling Edward he's a Vampire in the forest instead of having the conversation in the car. Oh hang on they left that scene or several car scenes out altogether. When they did put the lines in the timing was out, it really didn't follow the time line in the book. Bella arrives in January and they say she hasn't been there for years, it was only when she turned 14 and then Charlie went to California to have xmas with her.

It was the lack of attention to details that really peeved my off. Bella leaving Phoenix in a grey long sleeve shirt and black vest but in the book it was a white lace shirt. There was no rocking chair in Bellas room. Edwards car was meant to stand out but it look like a normal car. Edwards leather sofa should have been black. The stupid graduation hats on the wall. Bella wearing a jogger to the prom. I could keep going on and on and on but I don't think we have time. :lol:

Then there were the special moments from the book that we done sooo wrong. The Prom, they dance inside and Jacob cuts in. The Meadow where Edward desensitizes himself - gone. The first run - before they get to the meadow - hello it should have been after. Bella fainting. Bella having lunch with Edward. The car ride back from Port Angeles.

The scenes they messed up - Jacobs tribal legend saying it was another tribe instead of the cold ones and vampire. The Meadow. The fight at the end James bites Bella before Edward attacks. Meeting the Cullens - what were they thinking - cooking italian!!. Billy dropping off Bellas truck and Bella remembering Jacob cause they made mud pies. Edwards bedroom scene, need I go on. The hospital scene where Edward is with her when she wakes up, not her mum.

And finally the scenes that shouldn't have been there at all. The spider monkey scene is the scene I hate most about the movie. Eating at the diner. Bella leaving school and walking into the forest to tell Edwards he's a vampire. Bella cleaning her car and Edward jumping on the roof. Sitting in the rain by the river learning about how to change into a vampire. The others on the their killing spree.

I guess Catherine and Melissa didn't care for the detail or storyline. I have actually written a script and think it should be remade the way Stephenie wrote it, a love story.
I hated that "spider monkey" part too. And not forgetting the tree-climbing scenes. It really makes me cringe every time I see it.

While I agree that details must be paid attention to, I'm alright that if a few minor details got changed. As long as they don't change every single scene in the book! What's wrong with MR and CH?

I don't like the Volvo used in the movie, I researched on the model and it turns out to be a 'family' car. They could have just stick with the S60R.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Before this degenerates further into a "OMG I hate the movie!" conversation, I hope people realize that you're never going to get what you want from a book-turned-movie. Practically impossible. Why? There's just no way to cram all that story into just over two hours of film.

So what happens? Major scenes are picked out, and then an attempt is made to link them together. In doing so you lose a lot of details. You may also have to change certain things so that the movie- never mind the book, but the movie- makes sense by itself. Not everyone who watches is going to be a reader of the series. I wasn't when I first saw the movie, but it impressed me enough to buy the book the next day. And that, to me, is what counts: get people interested enough to go to the source material, and read the series.

I did watch the movie again after reading the novel, and then I noticed all the differences. Some of them are actually good and/or funny- personally, I loved the graduation cap collage, and the kitchen scene at the Cullens'.

That being said, I too don't like how things were changed. But I can appreciate why they were changed. Think about it- at least we have a movie to begin with. I'm thankful, because were it not for the movie (and my persistent niece) I would have never read Twilight.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Soul&Romance wrote:I think the biggest inconsistency was that in the movie Bella moves to Forks in March and in the book she moves to Forks in January. Really, was it that hard to make her say "It's January, middle of the school year" or something. March was when she ended up in the hospital. It just annoys me to no end because to me that just screws absolutely everything up lol

And I didn't think we needed so much introduction to James, Laurent and Victoria. All of the little "nomads killing people" was unnecessary and I think they should have used that time to get more edward and bella. Or even bella and the cullens in general.

also the prom scene. that "dress" was hideous with the leggings and the little sweater. they were supposed to take the vanquish, not the volvo. *sigh*

i dislike the way MR wrote it and I was hoping they'd sign someone else on for NM...but oh well. maybe she realized she did horrible and fixed new moon. hopefully...
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was bugged with them starting it in March & not January. Why make a change like that? It makes their relationship develop that much more faster.

I wish we could have got more of Bella & Edward's relationhip developing too. The reason they added the nomads killing people & Waylon was to get more excitement & what not for those who haven't read the book & a movie is different than a book.

The only thing that bugged me about her prom outfit was the wearing of tennis shoes & not the stilletos. I love the interaction in the book & Edward's response. I read somewhere (don't remember for sure) was the reason she had that sweater on was because when they filmed it, it was freezing outside & they didn't want Kristen to freeze.

I don't remember if I'm remembering this for sure but the day after Bella's 1st day of school & Edward's weird response to her in the movie she says she planned to confront him. But if I remember correctly in the book she said she wasn't going to confront him about his behavior. If that's the caset that's another small detail they changed.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Actually, if I remember correctly, she did plan to confront him about it. I think she even says she "wanted to know what his problem was." At first she was telling herself it wasn't her that he was reacting to, but the scene at the office made it quite clear what was going on. And she didn't like that. It's why she obsessed about his sudden absence for the next few days.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

ringswraith wrote:Actually, if I remember correctly, she did plan to confront him about it. I think she even says she "wanted to know what his problem was." At first she was telling herself it wasn't her that he was reacting to, but the scene at the office made it quite clear what was going on. And she didn't like that. It's why she obsessed about his sudden absence for the next few days.

I guess I need to reread the book. Yay I have a reason to reread it :D
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

pennybug84 wrote:
ringswraith wrote:Actually, if I remember correctly, she did plan to confront him about it. I think she even says she "wanted to know what his problem was." At first she was telling herself it wasn't her that he was reacting to, but the scene at the office made it quite clear what was going on. And she didn't like that. It's why she obsessed about his sudden absence for the next few days.

I guess I need to reread the book. Yay I have a reason to reread it :D
She planned to confront him but she new herself too well, She would chicken out...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
HarriannCullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by HarriannCullen »

I thought this thread was about bits that were visually wrong in the film.
I too really dislike the spider monkey scene, but the bit that annoys me, is that when Bella tells Edward she isn't scared of him, he says, "You shouldn't have said that".
In the book, he tackles her onto the couch! He did not pull her onto his back and launch into a run through the forest!
Sorry, that really got me screaming at the TV.
Along with the drive through the forest from the Baseball game, after James has decided he wants to "hunt" Bella, I believe there were another two bodies in the car with them as they drove off, which is where they came up with the idea about luring James away whilst running.

I enjoyed the film, as I know, that with ANY good book, that is converted into a film, the essence of the film can sometimes be lost. It wasn't in Twilight, as the love story remained. True bits were missed, but for those who have read Twilight, we can know the secrets, and for those who wish not to read Twilight, but watch the movie, then they will never know what they are missing.
We have read pure gold. Watching a sure fire winner will always be hard, because the images you have in your head from reading the books, will never be what you see on the big screen.

Thanks for reading X
Thank you threethings for the banners x
Midnight Sun virign, as it isn't perfect yet.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

HarriannCullen wrote:I thought this thread was about bits that were visually wrong in the film.
It is. What I was trying to say is: There's a difference between saying "The meadow scene was all wrong" and "She didn't wear stilettos to prom!"

I also don't want this to be a thread bashing the director and/or the scriptwriter. Yes, it could have been so much better. But you know what? We weren't in charge of anything. I highly doubt that CH and MR had ultimate control either.
HarriannCullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by HarriannCullen »

ringswraith wrote:
HarriannCullen wrote:I thought this thread was about bits that were visually wrong in the film.
It is. What I was trying to say is: There's a difference between saying "The meadow scene was all wrong" and "She didn't wear stilettos to prom!"

I also don't want this to be a thread bashing the director and/or the scriptwriter. Yes, it could have been so much better. But you know what? We weren't in charge of anything. I highly doubt that CH and MR had ultimate control either.
That's why I was originally going to post, that in the hospital, first time Bella wakes up the oxygen tubes are on her eyelids, then they are on her cheeks, then they are back on her eyelids.
Bit of a jump, lol.
All in all, I think the conversion from book to film was ok, and with anything Artistic License is going to be added to any work that anyone does. How one person sees the characters in their head isn't going to be the same as another persons imagination. They knew upon making this film that they would have the hardest job pleasing the fans. Unfortunately you can't please everyone.

On another thing in the film, did anyone else notice SM actually sitting in the diner, ordering a veggie meal???
Thank you threethings for the banners x
Midnight Sun virign, as it isn't perfect yet.