Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Re: Hobbit Village~ The LoTR General Discussion Thread

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

You'd have to read the Uncyclopedia to see why.

And I'm pretty sure since no one's posted about it that no one knows, but there's a new fan vid coming out today called "The Hunt For Gollum" and it actually promises to be pretty good.
I'm watching it right now. :D
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I tried reading the LOTR books, but just couldn't do it. I don't know why I just couldn't get into them. I've seen the movies & really like them. Are they much different from books?
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

The books are a lot more detailed. A LOT. The movies had to cut a lot of stuff, simply because there was so much detail (and thhy added some plot stuff that didn't need to be there but didn't hurt the story too much, just made Aragorn slightly bothersome) And I can see why you couldn't get into them, they are pretty hard to read. My friend is just finishing The Two Towers, and we're attempting to convince her twin to read them too.

*coughs* Watch the Hunt For Gollum! *coughs*
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

I am a huge Tolkien fan--I'm even contemplating getting a tattoo that says "Not all who wander are lost..."

I've read the entire LOTR series, also The Hobbit, and I am attempting to struggle my way through The Silmarillion, which is a prequel to the entire series about how their world was created. I can only get through about four pages at a time before I have a headache from information overload and I have to stop to process it.

I also wanted to say that I was just commenting the other day on how Jackson's New Moon hair makes him look like a Hobbit! It really does, I'm not kidding--most of the JOF thread agreed with me.

Oh yeah--my favorite character is either Sam or Legolas---the elf is way cooler in the books, so no I don't like him just because Orlando Bloom played him. They cut out the whole awesome scene in Murkwood which is where I fell in love with Leggy. Wicked bow skills.
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
~*~Emily~*~
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ~*~Emily~*~ »

Ok,so before Twilight,before His Dark Materials..There was LOTR.I was a HUUUUUGE fan,a proud Ringer.I watched the movies first,fell in love,then read the books.Also the Hobbit,and the Silmarillion.I acquired a VERY large collection of merchandise including posters,action figures,books,jewelry,bookmarks,calenders,goblets,magnets,stickers...you get the point.I was crazy about LOTR.I grew quite knowledgeable about it,could rattle off facts,quote lines,discuss it for hours.It was the first time I really was swept away by a story.I was in awe.I loved it.

I never thought I'd find anything like it again.But then of course,I did.(HDM and Twilight)

I'm still a big fan.But I've been out of the world of Middle Earth for awhile.I do miss my beloved Hobbits(Frodo=<3..Elijah Wood as Frodo=<3 <3 <3)I should really go back soon. ^__^
<><
~TEAM EDWARD~
Team Cullen-Giving the word Vampire a whole new meaning
ImageImage
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I love LOTR as well. Both the books and the movies. But I haven't read it for a long long time. There is just no way I can do it now while Twilight is so strongly on my mind. Other books is okay, but for LOTR I need full focus on it, and I don't have that now. Maybe I'll read it over the summer.
pennybug84 wrote:I tried reading the LOTR books, but just couldn't do it. I don't know why I just couldn't get into them. I've seen the movies & really like them. Are they much different from books?
I think with the books it's just a question of getting used to them. For me they seemed a bit heavy in the start, but once I got into it I really liked it. I spent a lot of time in the first book just trying to wrap my head around the level of details.
therealmrswhitlock wrote: I've read the entire LOTR series, also The Hobbit, and I am attempting to struggle my way through The Silmarillion, which is a prequel to the entire series about how their world was created. I can only get through about four pages at a time before I have a headache from information overload and I have to stop to process it.
I have tried Silmarillion too. I gave up the first time. It's just so complicated that it requires you to give it all your concentration and I just got tired. But I'll try again.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
love_is_noise
Drag Racing With Alice and Edward

Post by love_is_noise »

eah, i haven't read the salmarillion is it worth it?
i loved the hobbit...one of my fav books of all time......i watched the films before reading any of the books, i have read the fellowship, and nearly finished the two towers...but i gave up on it abit ago...to intense, but i think i'm gonna read the last quater soon. -i know, what a stupid place to stop reading it...normally i can't put a book down until it's finished..no matter how bad it is......but two towers was just required so much concentration.
Jasper's Army:Captain RuneheartThe Plan:Supreme LeaderTeam Rose
Volturi::Anastasia Team Leah::Therapist Team Esme::Interior Designer
tinuviel2006

Post by tinuviel2006 »

I'm sooooo happy that this thread got opened!!!
I'm a true Ringer, as you can see from my user name. I first read the trilogy when the first movie got out, I was 13 years old. And it got me hooked ever since! I'm also in love with the whole background stories and elvish legends from Silmarillion, The Children Of Hurin and The Unfinished Tales. I'm a freak for Tolkien's world, no doubt about that. Name the book about Middle Earth, I've read it for sure!
My favorite character is Luthien Tinuviel, and I'm astonished by her story.
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

love_is_noise wrote:eah, i haven't read the salmarillion is it worth it?
i loved the hobbit...one of my fav books of all time......i watched the films before reading any of the books, i have read the fellowship, and nearly finished the two towers...but i gave up on it abit ago...to intense, but i think i'm gonna read the last quater soon. -i know, what a stupid place to stop reading it...normally i can't put a book down until it's finished..no matter how bad it is......but two towers was just required so much concentration.
It depends on a person, I think. I love The Silmarillion, there are just so much interesting things in there. There are many different parts to it, making it hard to read for some people.

Oh yes, before Twilight, it is the HP and LOTR universe for me.

I can talk about it for ages to my brother. I pretty much know the plot at the back of my hand. I even went as far as to write down all the information about the elves and drew the family trees. It's a file full of materials and notes about The Silmarillion and LOTR. I almost felt like I'm studying history, except that it is so much more interesting. Those were the years... :)
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
tinuviel2006

Post by tinuviel2006 »

cassis_rose wrote:
love_is_noise wrote:eah, i haven't read the salmarillion is it worth it?
It depends on a person, I think. I love The Silmarillion, there are just so much interesting things in there. There are many different parts to it, making it hard to read for some people.

Oh yes, before Twilight, it is the HP and LOTR universe for me.

I can talk about it for ages to my brother. I pretty much know the plot at the back of my hand. I even went as far as to write down all the information about the elves and drew the family trees. It's a file full of materials and notes about The Silmarillion and LOTR. I almost felt like I'm studying history, except that it is so much more interesting. Those were the years... :)
I can't believe it! We did the exact same thing, and I thought that I was the only one with the characters obsession! I'm so glad that I'm not alone in being a huge LOTR fan....