Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 14 ~ Declaration

Post by Alphie »

Thanks to TrueLove1 for her work on the questions!

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to?

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Declaration

Post by la_tua_cantante »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
I'm not sure, actually. Sometimes, I think Bella was a real blockhead when it comes to Jacob, in all honesty. I think she might have argued with Edward that he was making it worse than reality or something and wanted to go anyway.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
I'm pretty sure that even after nearly 2 years of not killing Bella, he was still paranoid that he wouldn't have the self control to not kill her, so I don't think so.

Her parents divorce.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
I think SM wanted the world to know that Bella was aware of the big fat jerk that Jacob came across at times.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
No, because as disturbing as it was, she wanted the Cullens and wolves to make it all out alive. It's not shocking. That doesn't mean it should have happened.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Nope. I don't think anything was going to stop Jake from giving that kiss. Boy was DETERMINED.

Mostly. But he also doesn't want the guilt of damning her to immortality

Renee and her upbringing, but all in all, her reasoning sounds pretty irrational. You can committ to becoming the undead, but you can't live with what your mother, father, and 'everyone else' will think about you getting married? Well, this is Bella we're talking about...

I think it was a good highlight of how we, as the readers, felt about Jake. Half the time we wanted to strangle him, but then he had his good moments which was exactly how Bella felt about him. It was just another way for the reader to live and feel what Bella was feeling and to also distinguish the two sides of Jake, of course.

Technically, yes, but we can see why she felt that way. Though, I've always seen Bella as a character who wouldn't even stray in that direction, but it was a fit of desperate thought. Even the best of us slip ever once in a while ;)
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

Yes. I think she probably would have said something from the get-go.

Yes. I think that he feels the same as Bella - if he does it, then she really belongs to him.

The way she was raised. Renee has a very set outlook on marriage and it is something that she's drilled into Bella's head from day 1.

We, the readers, can empathize with Bella a bit more on this - with Jacob acting nice and being a butthead. I think it brings the reader more closer to Bella.

No. I think Bella would let Edward do anything as long as it meant he came back to her. She loved him despite his killing people before, so why wouldn't she love him if he had to kill someone to survive. If he felt he HAD to do that, he wouldn't kill an innocent. He'd go for someone "bad".
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

yeah i think she would have tried to say something to jacob.

i think he does and he doesnt at the same time. he's still worried about the pain she'll go through and of hurting her, but he doesnt want anyone else to be trusted to do it.

well, renee seems to be a pretty good answer to this.

it shows the way we feel about him too. he can be sweet but soooo annoying in the same minute.

kinda actually. but she loves edward and she doesnt care what he has to do as long as he's still alive in the end. of course, if edward were to kill a human it would be a bad one.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

No, because Jacob is obnoxious a pushy and he would have done what he wanted.

Yes and no. Yes because I know deep Edward loves her so much he wants to keep her forever as a result of his action. No, because he knows how much he yearns for her blood and is afraid he will kill her by accident.

That Renee doesn't like early marriage and that she is a little bit afraid of committment.

Because she wants to show how much Jacob has changed throughout the novel.

No, because she loves him and wants to be strong and not die fighting because she can't live without him.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I think so.

No, he wouldn't . Like he said, he does not want to hurt Bella .

Um, I guess she's too rush, but I can't blame it.

I think she wants us to know about the Jacob we're suppose to understand.

Yea. Really!
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I think he doubted himself too much when he agreed to elt carlisle do it, but i personalyl thinkthat he wanted to do it.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Possibly. She knows, soemwhat, that she did hurt him in a way. But I think either way, some sort of Jacob-kiss would happen.

2. Yes and no. He would, because he is after all her boyfriend, and no because he could get thirsty and lose it.

3. It is a bit rushed. But it is her choice.

4. Since Jacob can't talk as a werewolf, I think he uses actions to show his feeling. So as a werewolf, his actions may come out stronger, and maybe meaner? I have never really noticed this in the book 'till now.

5. No. She never seemed to be against killing humans, just more disqusted by it.
vamps4evr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by vamps4evr »

I think she would have been a little more suspicious, although he usually gets what he wants, in most ways anyway - i think it would have happened regardless

It shows how much he changed and the difference that is! Jacob is almost like 2 different people now!! and i like that it is pointed out

really no!! she wants him to come back at all cost, although...she did shutter at the thought!! we think a lot of things that we shouldnt.

I will say - I am reading as I type this, I love the ?s...makes me think - so I havent read much past this chapter...I will say I am wondering if jake may show at her graduation party, knowing Bella wouldn't let anything happen to him...just to show her he loves her...not that it would happen - but I did think of it when she 'invited' him!