A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Invitations

Post by Lirpa »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
I don't think she wanted to go first and foremost because she cant dance. Bella is clumsy to say the least and dancing really does not seem like a good idea. Second, even if she went as "just friends" someone would have gotten hurt, either Mike, because he can't take a hint, or Jessica because she wanted to go with Mike (just a some examples). I think that the reason none of them appeal to her is because she is the new girl maybe she felt a little overwhelmed, or maybe she thought they were only interested because she was the new cool thing in town.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
I just figured he liked her and didn't want to for some reason or couldn't decide just how much he liked her. Boys are not the best at dealing with emotions.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

1. Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?
that was just bella. boys may just not have been her thing! im sure she would have gone witha angela or something if she could dance... but she cant so, she just didnt go. end of story.

2. Bella asks Edward if he has multiple personality disorder because he either seems to be overly friendly or sarcastic moments apart. To what did you attribute Edward's odd behavior?
for the first few chapters with edward i thought "what is his problem?? get a life!" i didnt know what the heck to make of it!
Betting on Alice.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

The major reason Bella doesn't want to go to the Spring dance is because she is clumsy. She knows that dancing would just lead to embarassment for her.
From day one, none of the boys appealed to her because as soon as she saw Edward, no one else would do. I truly believe that Bella and Edward experienced love at first sight. Yes, even Edward. This is why he struggled so with his temptation to kill Bella...because he loved her from the start.

He was trying to drive her away. He meant it when he told her he was dangerous. Edward was trying his best to protect her from the vampire he was even though all he really wanted was to be with her.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

B/c you only want to go the dance with a person who you are interested in. She doesn't go with Mike b/c she knows how he feels about her and she doesn't want to give him false hope. The first day she saw Edward and that is who appeals to her.

Edward flip flops with being friends and talking to her. He wants to somehow be part of her life but he knows if he does he is endanger her.
Banner by TammyAZ
Marie23
Settled in Forks

Post by Marie23 »

Why do you think Bella doesn't want to go to the spring dance? She could easily just have said to anyone, "Let's just go as friends". Why is it that from day one, none of the boys appealed to her?

[

Well first of all dancing is out to her element. Second at that point when the boys started asking Bella to the dance she already had a fascnation with Edward.

In Midnight Sun he talks about how he struggles to keep his secert and still wants to be with Bella. She smells so good to him he also has a hard time at first controling his hunger I don't think he likes that at first :!:
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

Well, because of the dancing issue, for sure. And none of the boys appealed to her because Edward is way more beautiful than any other boy she's seen.

I knew there was going to be a love story, so I figured that Edward was friendly because he was starting to like her, but when he was sarcastic and rude I thought: "Okay, what's wrong with you?", but I also figured that it was because of the same reason. And also, Edward keeps telling Bella that they shouldn't be friends, that he's dangerous, etc. So... poor Edward. He had a hard time thinking what was he going to do about it.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

Well, she said in the book she didn't want to go to the dance because of how uncordinated and clumsy she was. I don't think any of the boys have appealed to Bella because on the first day and she caught a glimpse of Edward Cullen.. that was it. She was so engrossed with him, other boys seemed so average. She did mention in the first chapter I think, that she thought Mike was cute when she was describing him. So maybe she would have said yes to him if she never saw Edward.

I knew he was a vampire before I read the books and that was basically it. I assumed it had something to do with wanting to drink her blood or kill her.. I had no idea he was like madly in love with her!
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

I lived a similar situation when I was in high school and choose between all those boys without really knowing them is really frightening…She probably didn’t want to give them any false hope. For some people “friends” is just the first step… And, she so sure that she will get hurt if she dances… :)

His eyes were golden again… :) And, as it said on the cover, I was already aware that he was a vampire…

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
fi_fi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Trying to be 100 places at once while, with a To Do List that never gets any shorter!

Post by fi_fi »

As Twilight is written in the first person, and we are given no reason to distrust Bella's POV, I believed what she told us - that she was too clumsy to go to the dance, and that she didn't want to upset Jessica by saying yes to Mike.
Bella has already described Mike as 'being like a Labrador', and imagining him 'with a wagging tail', so although she obviously likes him, she doesn't like him in that way.
The others - Tyler and Eric, never seem to catch her attention much. Tyler just annoys her with his constant apologies over the accident, and Eric never really seems to register on her radar. I think that having been 'ignored' by the boys back in Phoenix, she just wasn't used to getting attention, and as shy as she is, she doesn't like it when she does get that attention. And then her draw to Edward, her 'incoherency' when she's around him, his 'beauty', all take up her attention, leaving no room for the others.
From Midnight Sun, we learn that it was the same for Jessica (sort of) - she had a major 'crush' on Edward, and only went back to Mike when it was obvious Edward wasn't interested. Lucky for Bella, he was interested in her, or she may have had to 'move on' as well.

His being a vampire. I knew before reading that this was the case, and that he and Bella were going to end up together. I imagined that his friendly moments were when he was enjoying the moment, that he liked/fancied Bella and was being his 17-year-old self. When he turned sarcastic, I assumed that he was 'remembering' (as if he could forget, but you know what I mean) that he was a vampire, that he was a threat to this girl. And his warnings, or threats, seemed to fit in with this - he wanted to get to know Bella, but knew it was best for her if she didn't. I also assumed, after their first meeting, that he must be thirsting for her, but trying to overcome this.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

She says it herself: she can't dance. By now, we already know that she is clumsy, so off course she wouldn't want to go to the dance. I don't know why the boys didn't appeal to her, apparently they were not her type ;)

I thought he wasn't sure about wanting to be friends with her or not.