Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Sunshine
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Compromise

Post by Sunshine »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
In my opinion, Bella is afraid that somehow if she marries Edward, things between them will change a lot. She's afraid it will change for the worst. I don't think I would ever marry at under 20 years old. Bella and Edward are very mature, but most teens aren't mature enough to marry at such a young age.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
I think it really showed how much Edward wanted Bella, but how he couldn't be too close to her because he might hurt her. I personally loved this scene. I don't think it's really that smart to make love while Bella is still human, but I can see her side as well, so I understand why she wants to.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
Yes, I think some vampires have souls. It's just like with humans. Some humans to me are so cruel that they do not have souls, but for most people there is a sympathetic and very human side that enables them to have souls. A lot of vampires lose that human side and I think they're soul dies as well. However, the Cullens still have that, not killing humans and all. So I think a vampire can choose whether or not to keep it's soul and the Cullens have all chosen to keep it.
Dont_Call_Me_Nessie
Wandering Through Town

Post by Dont_Call_Me_Nessie »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?

I can see why she's concerned. I'm with Edward,though, in that I think she's being a little ridiculous. She's certain enough that Edward is what she wants that she's willing to BECOME A VAMPIRE but she won't do a little thing like go through with a wedding ceremony?

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?

How do I feel about that? A little bit like I'm about to swoon, actually. j/k I think their decision is a very risky one, for sure. But I'm glad they're going to try. Bella deserves to have her human experience.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?

Of course they have souls! I'm kind of shocked that Edward could think any differently. If you believe in a creator that gave you a soul in the first place, how could you think he would take it away just becuase your heart stops beating? Does your soul just sort of *poof* disappear into thin air?
simple_love♫
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by simple_love♫ »

First, I must say, this was one of my favorite chapters *wink*

Being at such a young age everyone would all jump to the same conclusion so I can see why Bella finds it embarrassing...

I was laughing so hard through most of that part... Especially the "evil villain in a melodrama" (wow that shows how mature I am..)

I think they do.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノKitty.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I can see that bella has trouble with committment. Not at all that she doesn't love Edward and wants him forever, but I think she is so afarid of losing him again she is afraid to make that kind of committment. I personnally can't see that Edward would ever leave her again, but that is my opinion. On the subject of age I think her mother is the problem. Her got married young and I think Bella is afraid of her mother at this point. Bella also doesn't like attention and she doesn't want people to think she is marrying Edward because she is pregnant.

I love that they are getting closer. As far as their physical relationship goes. I think because they pretty much soul mates Edward won't hurt Bella. Bella wants this one human experience for a very good reason and I think they are not making a mistake no matter what Edward says.
I ABSOLUTLEY think vampires havea soul, but not in the same way as humans go. Humans have a soul that is meant to move on in a certain amount of time. Vampires havea soul that allows them to live and love for all eternity and I think Edward discovered this when he fell in love with Bella.But I also believe that not all vampires in the world discover their "souled" side if you catch my drift. Only some are able to love the way Edward Carlisle Esme Rosalie Emmmett Jasper and Alice do. The other vampires who have "mates" may also have souls but their violence against humans hides it.

Sorry I had edited this I messed it up though :mrgreen:
Last edited by edward x lover on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward ? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age ?

I actually can't because I would have said yes on the spot. It would have not affecteded my decision. I would love to get married at a young age.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that ? How did you feel about their decision to try to make love while she was still human ?

I thought it was sweet. I can understand why she wanted to while she was still human and I can understand why Edward didn't want to while she was human. So I think it all worked out okay.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. what do you think about this subject ? Do vampires have souls ?

I think they do but not in a human form. I can't really explain it but yes I do think they do.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

OK so here's the thing. I get the whole parental issue. My parents divorced when I was 2, so I don't even remember a household with the two of them in it. On top of that, my mother despises my father, and my dad still, to this day, has residual feelings for my mom, a lot like Renee and Charlie. However, if I was Bella, and I had found my FOREVER, I would have been able to let my reservations go. In fact, I DID let it go, and that's the reason I'm still married today, to my real life Edward.

I thought it was smart to say they'd 'try' not that it would definitely happen. Edward knew he could stop himself from losing control, but wasn't sure at what point that would happen, so I wondered how it would work. haha i actually wondered if he'd lose control, end up biting her and then HAVE to change her in order to not kill her but then remembered that's not Edward's style.

I think Carlisle has a point. The Twilight vampires, at least the vegetarian ones, live to do good. If there's no chance at heaven for them eventually, I'd hate to think about that.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

Yes but at some point Bella is going to have to realize that her and Edward's relationship isn't her parent's relationship. And she's going to have to trust in their relationship, trust in Edward and trust in herself that the decision isn't about everyone else. It's about her and Edward. Noone else. And when you find the "one", you hold on to that and never let it go.

It's the natural progression of things. It's perfectly normal. Whatever works for them ;)

I think that Edward has a soul, as do the rest of the Cullens as well. Probably not in the exact same was as "normal" people, but in their own way, sure, why not?
Tarkheena
Settled in Forks

Post by Tarkheena »

Yes, I understood where she was coming from but I didn't understand why she let it bother her. She was afraid of what other people will say, that they will judge her for marrying that young. But if you are already sure about the man you choose to be with, why would you let those things bother you? Why would you let the things they say affect you especially since none of those things are true?

And, no, it didn't affect my decision to marry at a young age. Because like I said, I already found the man I want to spend the rest of my life with (the same sureness Bella felt about Edward), why wait?

This was a definite swoon/goosebumps chapter. I loved it!

I sort of saw it coming. Because Edward was definitely fighting twice as hard as Jacob. And he was definitely using it as an advantage because he CAN do it with Bella (make out and touch her). And he knew that Jacob already kissed her, even though she didn't kiss him back, so maybe he thought he has to intensify it a little bit to keep her wanting him more. And, also, maybe Jacob showed Edward how he is going to play his game and since they mostly only cuddle and kiss, he gave in a little to show her how much more he has. He's such a tease but that made him a lot more desirable, especially to Bella. :D

I felt that the decision was a good one because I knew that he can't really say no to her. I was happy that he said they will TRY.

Yes, I do think Edward has a soul. Why else would he feel rotten about himself being the monster that he is if he doesn't? He wouldn't be feeling guilt or shame or sadness or love, for that matter, if he doesn't have one.

If the vampires are like the Cullens, I believe so yes.
JustNicole
Settled in Forks

Post by JustNicole »

This is one of my favorite chapters in the entire series..... for so many reasons. I had dated boys though out high school and the first year of college, but I was raised that you wait. It really wasn't posed to me in some religious aspect, more of a respect for yourself situation. Although, being Christian definitely played its role as well. I waited and I have never regretted it. I married at 22 and my parents thought I was crazy... in fact they weren't happy with my choice... much like the whole Charlie/Edward dialogue.... (they love him now!) but I was engaged and definitely planning to triumphantly walk down the aisle... I was very very sure of myself and my husband. But, I had fears of being the first of my girlfriends to marry and what everyone must be thinking. (Fortunately for my sake they were kind enough to keep silent, well accept for my dad.)
I can understand Bella's fears but I have a little trouble with how openly she shot down Edward's attempts at being romantic in his approach to popping the question. I wish she had made more of an effort to share in his joy. After all... he waited for someone like her for over a 100 years... major compliment there!
She redeems herself later..... with wanting everything to be Edward's way, because this step is so important to him and to who he is at the core.

I loved that they talked through how they felt about each other and their wants and needs both physically and emotionally. I remember those conversations.... where one part of the couple really wants to move forward and the other person is wanting to hold on for marriage. I think all of Edward's reasons for waiting are admirable and lovely.
Conversely, I feel Bella makes a great point.... life is full of magical moments, and intimacy is definitely one major bonus we have as humans... I can understand her fear of losing out on how much she truly wants to show Edward how much she loves him. After all, he can't read her mind. :D I thought Stephenie did a superb job of writing how we all feel in those early intimate moments where your heart and your mind on are two different levels... but, still working towards the same goal.

This question is so hard... because I want Edward to have a soul.... mostly, because I believe he deserves it. He has a spirit and a light within him that even though he has experienced great tragedies these are not things he chose to bring on himself. His inner turmoil and its complexities make me believe that he must have a soul intact.
Clearly he has a conscience and a want for goodness.
I think the sun is best viewed at midnight!
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I liked it. It humanized Edward more and made Bella even more of a teenager.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett