Chapter 17: Take Everything I Have (Wizard of Oz)

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 17: Take Everything I Have (Wizard of Oz)

Post by Alphie »

Thanks to Una for all her hard work on this section.

1. Jacob tries to find his imprinte by scanning the crowds at the park. Do you think it is a realistic plan? How do you interpret his banter with Lizzie? Why does Jacob not pursue Lizzie?

2. How do you interpret the actions of Leah when she confronted Bella. What do you think she said?

3. Why is Jacob, who is not the Alpha of the La Push wolves, the tribal chief, able to grant the Cullens a leniency in the treaty? What are the ramifications of his granting the Cullens this mercy when it comes to the other wolves and the tribe? What would Sam say?

4. Do you feel that by this time, Bella and Jacob have resolved their issues? Or do you feel that their relationship will still be uneasy?

5. When you first read this chapter, what were your reactions to the end? What did you predict would happen in the next chapter?
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 17: Take Everything I Have (Wizard of Oz)

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. Jacob tries to find his imprinte by scanning the crowds at the park. Do you think it is a realistic plan? How do you interpret his banter with Lizzie? Why does Jacob not pursue Lizzie?
No, not a realistic plan. It could be any girl in the entire world. You can't find your imprintee by searching a random park. Lizzie was just some girl. And as he didn't imprint on her, he was still attached to Bella. I found this section in the book totally unnecessary really.

2. How do you interpret the actions of Leah when she confronted Bella. What do you think she said?
I couldn't believe that Leah would do that, when she saw how fragile Bella was. And it was surprising that she would go to such extremes to protect Jacob. That actually made me think that Leah's feelings for Jacob went deeper than just pack mate. I think she yelled at Bella for having Jacob there. For not letting him go. Leah knew because she saw it in Jake's mind. She knew how Bella cracked a smile when Jacob came, and how she kept him there.

3. Why is Jacob, who is not the Alpha of the La Push wolves, the tribal chief, able to grant the Cullens a leniency in the treaty? What are the ramifications of his granting the Cullens this mercy when it comes to the other wolves and the tribe? What would Sam say?
In my opinion, he could do this because he was the true Alpha by his heritage. He was the only one that could stand up to Sam. I don't think Sam really minded that Jacob gave Edward permission to save Bella. Sam had already accepted that. Earlier in the book Sam didn't want to attack the Cullen's when they thought that Bella had been changed, because Bella had made a conscious choice. This was still in effect. Sam didn't want to harm Bella, he wanted to remove the baby he saw as a threat. So I don't see any big consequences for the pack or the tribe.

4. Do you feel that by this time, Bella and Jacob have resolved their issues? Or do you feel that their relationship will still be uneasy?
On Bella's part it was resolved, I think. She was happy with Edward, and she was expecting and would die for his baby. I believe her romantic feelings for Jacob was gone. But she needed him in her life as a friend. And that took a lot for Jacob. I believe he still loved her, and wanted her. But I think he realized once she was determined to keep her baby, that it was a lost cause.

5. When you first read this chapter, what were your reactions to the end? What did you predict would happen in the next chapter?
I was horrified and shocked. This was it. It was time. I was scared for Bella, but I had faith that Edward would save them both.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Not really, all the other members of Jake's pack imprinted with girls they were close to (same school for Jared and Kim, same tribe for Paul and Jake's sister, etc) before they became wolves. He's not really interested in her, just talking to her because he hates the way things are at home.

She doesn't want Jake to go away because then her only option for a pack is to go back to Sam's. I don't like thinking about what she said.

Because it was his grandfather that was the last tribal chief and Alpha of the wolves. His grandfather's blood runs in Jake and so does the right for the tribal chief.

I hope they would have resolved their issues.

pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Jacob tries to find his imprinte by scanning the crowds at the park. Do you think it is a realistic plan? How do you interpret his banter with Lizzie? Why does Jacob not pursue Lizzie? I thought it was kind of a good idea, you never know where you'll meet the person you're supposed to be with.

2. How do you interpret the actions of Leah when she confronted Bella. What do you think she said? I was kind of surprised actually. The only thing I can think she said was probably something about her actions and needing Jacob around were wrong, she was being selfish, and hurting Jacob. (which I would agree with)

3. Why is Jacob, who is not the Alpha of the La Push wolves, the tribal chief, able to grant the Cullens a leniency in the treaty? What are the ramifications of his granting the Cullens this mercy when it comes to the other wolves and the tribe? What would Sam say? Because he'sthe rightful alpha because of his leneage. I was hoping that since it was his right to be able to gran the leniency that everything would be okay with the other wolves.

4. Do you feel that by this time, Bella and Jacob have resolved their issues? Or do you feel that their relationship will still be uneasy?I figured it would still have problems and be uneasy,I really couldn't see a way where it would workout if Jacob didn't imprint (and at this point he hadn't & sure didn't know if he ever would)

5. When you first read this chapter, what were your reactions to the end? What did you predict would happen in the next chapter? I was definitely scared & worried what would happen.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

No, I didn't think scanning the park was a good plan for finding his soulmate. Did he really think that would work? I took Jacob's banter with Lizzie for what it was; he was in a bad mood and doing his best to not take it out on Lizzie. Yes, Jacob thinks Lizzie is cute but his heart still belongs to Bella at this point, so he isn't going to pursue Lizzie because it's a dead end.

At first, I thought maybe Leah was developing feelings for Jacob. However, I thought better of that and now I think she was just looking out for him and sticking up for him. Leah was mad that Bella would jerk Jacob around and I'm sure Leah felt it was time someone told Bella exactly what she was doing to him. Leah probably told her how Jacob was feeling, what the mixed signals were doing to him, and how rotten it was that Bella couldn't let him go.

Since the Cullens originally made the treaty with Ephriam (sp?) Black it would only seem right that Jacob, a Black decendant, would be able to grant leniency. Jacob's great-grandfather was the one who made the treaty so his direct decendant would be the only one who could really allow Bella to be changed. The other wolves and his tribe will probably be very upset with him. They don't like the Cullens and they have no desire to make life easier for them. They might even consider Jacob to be some kind of traitor. Sam would never have allowed the treaty to be broken at all. He would be very disappointed in Jacob and I'm sure he'd give Jake an earfull.

For the most part I think their issues are resolved. Jacob understands that if Bella isn't turned she would, and I think at this point, he would rather have her as an "enemy" than dead. At this point, Jacob is still in love with Bella so if he were to feel that way after her transformation there would probably be some unease. He wouldn't be able to be around her like he is now, and that would throw a wrench into their realtionship.

I was definetly freaked out because of the urgency of the situation. I knew Bella would be alright in the end because there was still a good chunk of book left lol.
Latima
Settled in Forks

Post by Latima »

No this is not a realistic plan he is desprate to find someone to help him get over losing Bella time and time again to the vampires he hates so much. When he first meets Lizzie I think he lets off some steam becuase he is not very nice to her. He calms after a while and is able to see that he can actually relate to this girl. I dont think he pursues Lizzie because his purpose is to find his soulmate someone that will not hurt him in anyway and since he does not imprint on her he risks losing her to someone else not to mention he would have to keep the essesnce of his existence away from her. they would have a relationship based on a lie and that is not what Jacob needs in his life. He wants a true soulmate.

I think she confronts Bella because she has some kind of weird crush on Jacob that he does not realize. I also think that she thinks if she can help resolve this problem that Jacob has over Bella then maybe Jacob will take to her and allow her to stick around in his pack. Leah knows that Jaobs fellings and well being depends on Bella and how bad she breaks him down. Leah knows more than most people becuase they share thoughts with each other. This is different with just reading his thoughts the way Edward does because Jacob can hid things from his thoughts and he can only see whats currently going on. Leah sees it all and she is trying to keep Jacob as sane as possible for her future with the pack and for Jacobs future with himself. I think she told Bella how great he is and how he is better than edward and that she is losing out on something great and that she sucks for hurting him the way she does. I even believe she told Bella some of Jacobs secrets of how in love he is with her to make Bella feel bad.

3. Why is Jacob, who is not the Alpha of the La Push wolves, the tribal chief, able to grant the Cullens a leniency in the treaty? What are the ramifications of his granting the Cullens this mercy when it comes to the other wolves and the tribe? What would Sam say?It is Jacobs right because he is the direct son of Ephriam Black so his vote counts more than Sams. I think granting them a pardon would just keep the current treaty in tact as long as Edward sticks to the new treaty and only change Bella and that is all. I think Sam would be very upset but not suprised by Jacobs choice because Sam even saysthat although Bella chooses Edward he still decides to destroy his life for Bella and puts his tribe in danger because of his decisions.

4. Do you feel that by this time, Bella and Jacob have resolved their issues? Or do you feel that their relationship will still be uneasy? No I do not think they have resolved their issues because even though Jacob will allow the change he is still not sure what will become of Bella. He hopes that he will be able to get over the fact that she is a vampire but in all reality he does not know how he will respond to the change if Edward is successful in changing her. I believe at this point in the book if Edward had killed Bella trying to change her Jacob would have tried to avenge her death by killing as many of the Cullens as he possibly can.

5. When you first read this chapter, what were your reactions to the end? What did you predict would happen in the next chapter?By the end of the chapter I thought the baby was going to kill Bella. Carlisle was not around and I did not think Rose and Edward would have been able to get the baby out without help. I also thought the baby was going to bust out of Bella when she reached to get the cup of spilled blood.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Scanning the park for an imprintee was pretty stupid idea. For all the people there that day knew, he was a creaper looking for you know what.
I do think that had he been normal, as in no wolf gene, he would have gone after the Lizzie girl. She knew how to talk to him about things. Jake, I think, didn't go after Lizzie because he knew that if they were meant to be he would have imprinted on her, and that does't usually give the heart what it wants.

Leah was Jake's friend too, and saw and knew how it felt to be the other person in a relationship and didn't want to see Jake go through that. She was in his exact spot when it came to the whole relationship and wanted to give him an out.

When the wolves originally came about Sam took control of them, but the Black line was the last tribal chief the area. It was with Ephram (sp?) Black that the treaty was made, so it was only someone with his blood that could grant the pass to the Cullens.

The tribe sought Billy in difficult times, and Jake even said that his father was one of the more respected elders in the area, so if this is true, then similar respects are passed to Jake because of that. Like I said, the Black line was the last in control, and therefore the ones to grant the pass. Sam cannot do much because, as Edward said, his power was assumed. Jake's never was.

I do think that there was an issue or two that they never worked out, like why Jake practically said he would kill himself to get what he wanted.

I wanted to know why it would end there with an upping of blood. I wanted to see if they were able to get the child out, and start the change of Bella. I kinda hoped that they could get the child out and get the change started.
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I thought this was sad. A couple of my friends didn't understand what was going on at the park, but I did and I thought it was incredibly sad. Poor Jacob, doing that so that he didn't feel the pull for Bella anymore. I didn't think much of the banter with Lizzie, I knew he wouldn't persue it. Why would he? He didn't imprint on her, and that's what he was looking for.

I think she was looking out for her friend. I had a brief, but fleeting, feeling that maybe she liked him more than that, but I don't think that's the case. She was just trying to make sure he was okay.

Well, he is the chief of the tribe, and although he is not the pack leader of one pack, he is the Alpha of another. And he was supposed to be the Alpha of Sam's pack anyway. I think Sam would be very, very angry, but I think it was good that Jake granted the leniency. Jake's vote would have always counted more than Sam's, alpha or not, I think.

Well, I thought they're relationship was kind of irreparable by this point. Like they'd be cool, but never as close.

I was scared. Like, my breathing got all fast and my blood drained from my face. I thought she was going to die.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

1. Jacob tries to find his imprintee by scanning the crowds at the park. Do you think it is a realistic plan? How do you interpret his banter with Lizzie? Why does Jacob not pursue Lizzie?

It's not really a realistic plan, but at this point he is desperate. He was trying so hard to imprint on Lizzie -- the banter was cute & she seemed like a really fun girl. He saw so much in her that he liked; he really wanted that Big Moment to happen. Jacob didn't pursue Lizzie because he's pretty sure he will eventually imprint & doesn't want her to end up hurt like Leah especially since he won't be able to tell her the truth. Not to mention at this point Jacob is still romantically in love with Bella.

This is the most compassionate thing Leah has ever done -- obviously Bella doesn't feel that way :lol:. To me, however, it really shows just how much Leah cares for Jacob & her new pack. I think she pretty much called Bella out for what Leah saw as Bella stringing Jacob along. I would love to read that scene from either Leah or Bella's perspective.

It's all about his ancestry. His great-grandfather made the treaty; he's the one who, in the ancient tradition, has the right to grant the leniency. The ramifications are, of course, another vampire to (in their view) protect their tribe from. However, I think Sam would say what he said when the pack first heard Bella & Edward were back -- that Bella made her choice.

Hm, that's a tough one. Bella is still happy to be with Jacob & cares about him very much, but feels, to an extent, like she's stringing him along. Until Jacob doesn't love Bella romantically anymore, I think there will always be an underlying tension because Bella will feel guilty and sad.

I was shocked! I was so sure the birth would work the way they planned and didn't think there would be such a dramatic turn of events.. I knew the next chapter was going to be filled with all kinds of tension between Jacob & the Cullens. Honestly, I wasn't sure if/how Bella was going to survive.

Image Image Image
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

no, i dont think he was going to accomplish anything in the park. if so, that wouldve been the sweetest and randomest story ever. someone wanted someone to love, lieterally went looking, and found. hhhhmmm, i might have to do a fanfic story on that...anyway! i thought his banter with lizzie was cute and sweet. they seemd like they would make a good couple!

leah was being leah and she was just venting everything she had to say to bella.....in not a very nice way.

sam wouldnt like it, but would deal with it . and the reason its jacobs decisin is because, whether he likes it or not, he's the leader of the pack that the cullens are asssociated with.

no, they're back to normal!

i have no words for this.......... LOL
Betting on Alice.