Technology in the Twilight series

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby who_needs_fangs? » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:03 pm

What do you mean almost? The CIA is one of their many endeavors. ;) :lol:
Image
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
User avatar
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif
 
Posts: 9459
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 am
Location: Somewhere or other.

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby TNO » Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 pm

I have a question. I may be remembering wrong, but in Twilight I can't recall anyone having a cellphone, iPod, or any sort of portable device at all. However in New Moon lots of people seemed to magically obtain them. Am I remembering wrong, or is this explained in the books?
User avatar
TNO
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby Openhome » Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 pm

They had cell phones in Twilight, but usually didn't need them. They pulled them out when James entered the scene. Bella is rather poor in Twilight, and only had old items like an aged computer. Charlie only seemed interested in television related technology, but it is rather odd that he didn't get his own daughter one seeing as he is a cop.

Once Bella became a part of Edward's world, she began to get the technology that the Cullens readily had available. The lack of modern technology is a quaint touch that I enjoyed in Twilight. Bella's parents can't afford them, so she just does without them. Wish my teenagers would be so lax! :)
User avatar
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Chatting with Esme and giving her parenting advice

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby TNO » Wed May 20, 2009 12:26 am

Ah, yes. That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
It is kind of strange, though, how Charlie didn't at least get Bella a cheap cellphone for emergencies; he's a cop after all. I know my mom literally dragged me to a communications store and made me get a cellphone so she could get in touch with me after school and whatnot. It seems a little odd that a cop wouldn't even bother giving his daughter a way to call him if her truck died in the middle of nowhere or something.
Speaking of which, why doesn't Charlie have some kind of alarm system in his house? He's a cop, I'd think he'd be more security conscious than most, but apparently the only security he has is a simple deadbolt on his front door.
User avatar
TNO
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby Dovrebanen » Wed May 20, 2009 2:44 pm

TNO wrote:Speaking of which, why doesn't Charlie have some kind of alarm system in his house? He's a cop, I'd think he'd be more security conscious than most, but apparently the only security he has is a simple deadbolt on his front door.

I would think he felt that he didn't need an alarm in a city with a population of 3000 people. In a lot of places that small people don't even lock their doors, because they know everybody. And with Charlie being a cop, he probably knew the likelihood of someone breaking into his house. And that would be very small, I imagine. At least since he didn't know about all the mythical creatures outside his doorstep :)
Image
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
User avatar
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Norway.

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby Openhome » Wed May 20, 2009 5:33 pm

We lived for several years in Washington State and did a lot of hiking and camping in the Olympic Peninsula. There isn't a lot of cell phone coverage there. (Yes, we have been several times through Forks, but that was in the last century - I am so old!)

Having said that, Charlie being a cop would have gotten some type of cell phone for his kiddo, I can guarantee it. Of course, before she met Edward, she never went anywhere, so he may have thought she didn't need it. Silly guy!
User avatar
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Chatting with Esme and giving her parenting advice

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby TNO » Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Dovrebanen wrote:
TNO wrote:Speaking of which, why doesn't Charlie have some kind of alarm system in his house? He's a cop, I'd think he'd be more security conscious than most, but apparently the only security he has is a simple deadbolt on his front door.

I would think he felt that he didn't need an alarm in a city with a population of 3000 people. In a lot of places that small people don't even lock their doors, because they know everybody. And with Charlie being a cop, he probably knew the likelihood of someone breaking into his house. And that would be very small, I imagine. At least since he didn't know about all the mythical creatures outside his doorstep :)

I live in a town with a shade over 2,000 people. We still have crime. Hell, we've got an entire little community of meth addicts. And though we don't have a security alarm, I know plenty of people who live closer to town who do. I'd think that what with Charlie being a cop and all, he'd have a more paranoid view of the crime rate- he's in the thick of it every day, after all. And him having an alarm wouldn't be too much of a hindrance to the plot; if Edward can disable Bella's truck engine, he can probably disable a trivial little alarm easily.

@Openhome: Well, sure, you can't always get coverage. Lots of places are like that. But I'm sure Bella could get coverage at in town, and- as I said- my town is smaller than Forks and mom still goes psycho on me if I don't have my cellphone with me at school. Meh. It's a minor issue, I suppose.
User avatar
TNO
Wandering Through Town
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby RebeccaCullen » Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 am

Who in their right mind would go into the police chief's house to rob it? Really the only dangers to them when Bella was around was the kind that a deadbolt or security system couldn't keep out, so it wouldn't matter anyways.

A cheap phone probably would have been good for Bella considering what a dump her truck was. While it worked for the human, she still knew squat about cars and if anything happened, she wouldn't be able to call anyone she did know.

Plus, the access you get depends of the server you got. I'm on Virgin, and went on a trip through the mountains a few years ago and was in the middle of nowhere and got service that some of the people I was with didn't get with Rogers, Bell, or Telus.
Image
User avatar
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Surrey BC

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby Bruquita » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 pm

Bella's cell didn't bother me in the movie- it was a pretty basic one. If it had been a fancy smartphone, it would have bothered me

The Mac bothered me ,though. Macs are expensive, and Bella and Charlie don't have all that much money. It would have made so much more sense for her to have a basic, no frills, inexpensive laptop. I suppose it could have been from Phoenix, but I wasn't under the impression Renee and Phil had all that much money, either.
Bruquita
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Technology in the Twilight series

Postby SwanCullen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:36 am

Bruquita wrote:Bella's cell didn't bother me in the movie- it was a pretty basic one. If it had been a fancy smartphone, it would have bothered me

The Mac bothered me ,though. Macs are expensive, and Bella and Charlie don't have all that much money. It would have made so much more sense for her to have a basic, no frills, inexpensive laptop. I suppose it could have been from Phoenix, but I wasn't under the impression Renee and Phil had all that much money, either.


The Mac bothered me as well. I was hoping that she would have had the slow crappy one she did in the book. I don't think she should have ha an updated computer. Wasn't it mentioned though in the book (twilight anyways) that she had a savings account? so really, that could have been where she got the computer from as well as the cell phone.
Image
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
User avatar
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Here there and everywhere

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron