Re: Pride and Prejudice

Post by debussygirl »

glstewart wrote:

Are
you kidding me? Mr. Collins is a sycophantic dork! Mike isn't
that bad. In fact, I get the feeling that half the girls at
Forks H.S. are swooning for the boy. He's obviously sooo... not
for Bella, but Mr. Collins?? :?
Well, Charlie was hinting at Bella to go out with Mike, or at least encouraging her a little bit. Lizzy's parents (well, at least her mom) did the same thing with Mr. Collins. And it's just his eager attitude that reminds me of Mr. Collins as well, not necessarily the dork-factor. The characters can have their differences.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

NessieCullen wrote:At first, Edward is very standoffish to Bella, but then, just like Mr.Darcy and Lizzy, he realizes he loves her and they end up together. I know this is very obvious, but it's the only conclusion I can make so far.
yes i do agree, it does seem to have the same basic story line doesn't it except for the fact that in pride and prejudice there aren't vampires involved :D
Doodle
Learning to Love Green

Post by Doodle »

Gosh, I must be the only one who doesn't see most of these connection.
Some parts are the story line are similar but I don't see the character connections.

Edward is far to open minded to be like Mr. Darcy in my opinion. And also has less of a pride. Edward's reason for not being with Bella to begin with was because she was human and he could eat her. Mr. Darcy's objection to Lizzie was because of the state of her family. However they both have the ability to make girls swoon however :D
"because days come and go, but my feelings for you are forever"
Fangirl
Wandering Through Town

Post by Fangirl »

Doodle wrote:However they both have the ability to make girls swoon however :D
And loads of money!!
Lovely houses?? I can see the Cullen House being as impressive as Pemberly!
"After a few minutes, he asked, real quitely, if you turned into an animal, too. And I said, 'She wishes she was that cool!'"Jacob, Breaking Dawn
Doodle
Learning to Love Green

Post by Doodle »

^Definately, however I don't see Mr.Darcy having as much money as the Cullens, especially if they can afford to buy islands!
"because days come and go, but my feelings for you are forever"
Fangirl
Wandering Through Town

Post by Fangirl »

Doodle wrote:^Definately, however I don't see Mr.Darcy having as much money as the Cullens, especially if they can afford to buy islands!
How very true.... Mr. Darcy will have to content himself with his impressive library and ummm..... haha.... I don't know!

Any ideas?
"After a few minutes, he asked, real quitely, if you turned into an animal, too. And I said, 'She wishes she was that cool!'"Jacob, Breaking Dawn
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Fangirl wrote:
Doodle wrote:^Definately, however I don't see Mr.Darcy having as
much money as the Cullens, especially if they can afford to buy
islands!
How very true.... Mr. Darcy will have to content himself with his impressive library and ummm..... haha.... I don't know!

Any ideas?
I don't think Darcy has much money as the Cullens (pyschic in the family, hello stock market) I don't think he's too far behind. Although I don't think they bought islands back in Austen times, but maybe Darcy could have. And Darcy was able to pay off Wickham to marry Lydia. Does it ever say how much it cost him? It couldn't have been cheap, that's for sure!!
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

debussygirl wrote: I don't think Darcy has much money as the Cullens (pyschic in the family, hello stock market) I don't think he's too far behind. Although I don't think they bought islands back in Austen times, but maybe Darcy could have. And Darcy was able to pay off Wickham to marry Lydia. Does it ever say how much it cost him? It couldn't have been cheap, that's for sure!!
Yeah, Mr. Darcy was definitely wealthy in the extreme. He must have been one of the wealthiest people in the county (was it Devonshire? I forget). If I recall, he made 10,000 pounds per annum. Today a british pound is worth ~ 2 dollars. So... 20,000 bucks, but in 19th century money? He was freaking loaded.

At any rate, wealth is decidedly something he shares with Edward. It's just that what made you wealthy in the 19th century is slightly different than the 21st. So yeah, I don't think many aristocrats were buying islands back in the day.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Is this thread just for discussing parallels or can we discuss perpendiculars? :lol:
Okay, yeah, I'm not funny. Hehe.

I think the first thing people often compare are the plots. Boy hates girl (or so it seems, though Midnight Sun contradicts that). Girl hates boy (I didn't really see that. She was more aggravated than hateful). Boy and Girl fall in love (sure).

However, the main characters are something I often like to compare. Bella Swan VS Elizabeth Bennet. I don't see many, if any at all, similarities between the characters.

One of the largest differences is the fact that Elizabeth is a very, very strong character. She can stand up for herself, a quality I admire.
What do you think?
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I've never considered Bella a weak character. Example from Twilight: Bella forces everyone to listen to her idea on what to do with the James situation. Her opinion WILL be heard. She also snaps at Edward for his "double standards", and accuses him for wishing that the van had "squished" her. We could continue into other books, but since P&P is based off of Twilight I'll stop there. So she never lets Edward or anyone for that matter walk all over her. Her strength is different than Elizabeth's though, they have different ways of standing up for themselves, and are pushed on different levels for doing so.
But their family situations are different. Bella's an only child, opposed to Elizabeth who has four sisters. Bella's parents are divorced while (obviously) Lizzy's parents are married. Bella never mentions aunts or uncles, only one grandma, while Elizabeth has an aunt and an uncle and Mr. Collins who I think is her second cousin(?). Also, Elizabeth has Jane to talk to through the story, but Bella doesn't have anyone she can be honest with and really talk things through with.