1. What is Bella weeping for during that long night of mourning? Is Jake at the forefront of her mind or is she grieving for the humanity she is giving up? Do you think Edward knows what she is mourning over? What are the “adjustments” Bella has made which allow her to move on in the morning?
I think she is only crying about Jacob, and occasionally that she is hurting Edward by crying over Jacob. I think Edward assumes she's crying about Jacob too, and he is probably worried that this means she loves Jacob more than him, that she might want to go and be with him instead. I think the adjustments she made were that she knows that she cannot live without Edward, he must be part of her life, but she can live without Jake, even tho it will hurt her terribly. She made herself realised this, and get on with the rest of her human life, getting married, saying goodbye to Charlie & Renee etc.
2. Why does Edward suddenly change his mind in the meadow? Is his about-face a response to what Bella has been saying about their wedding plans? What does it have to do with Bella’s grief the night before? Is his reaction disproportionate?
I think he changes it because he doesn't want to hurt Bella by making her do something he thinks she really doesn't want to do. He realises he was pushing her into this maybe a little too much, and the she was only doing it to please everyone else. I think maybe he decides to sleep with Bella there and then has a little to do with last night - seeing her so unhappy, he would want to do the one thing he knows she wants, that would make her happy.
3. Why does Bella insist on waiting and doing everything as they planned? Does she feel differently about marrying Edward now? Or is she just determined to do things correctly? Which considerations do you think weigh most heavily on her: eg. saying her goodbyes, giving Edward the wedding he dreams of, having a care for his soul, committing herself publicly to him before becoming a vampire....or any others you can think of?
I think all of the above reasons are valid. It would be a great way to ensure that she says goodbye to everyone, that everyone sees how happy she is with Edward and that he will take care of her. Plus of course, it will make Edward so happy and she will be ensuring his soul is ok. She wants to do everything properly now, and ensure that she is tied to Edward in every possibel way before becoming a vampire.
4. Who do you think is actually right about what would be best for them here, Edward or Bella?
Bella. I think she realises what Edward was saying before made sense; they should show the world how much they love each other, so that everyone knows that they will have a great life together!
5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?
Not at all. I liked the ending, it was perfect for Bella. They were getting married, and she was making a joke about telling Charlie. I knew Bella had made the right choice, and I'm sure she did too!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!