Cassandra Claire: Mortal Instruments Series

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Re: Cassandra Claire: Mortal Instruments Series

Post by nissanmama »

I've been a very good girl, pacing, not discussing the books while you read. In the meantime, I read the House of Night series (4th book is being released next week). The pacing is very similar to the Mortal Instruments series. A little more drama, more mistakes on the part of the lead character. Fast reads. Kinda addictive.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Nima - a my 'adopted' sister really liked the House of Night series and will loan it to me when her Aunt returns it to her. I think I'll check it out.

I finished part 1 of Ashes. So far so good... And Nima, you have been FABULOUS - course I think the floor is about to wear out from all the pacing. Goodness, we had to pace for Hostage, then our discussion on it, now Ashes, and the BDB Compendium is coming in less than a month....ACK!!! Are we reading or waiting? :evil:
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
BettingOnAlicexX
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by BettingOnAlicexX »

when does the next book City Of Glass, come out??
This year i hope...(crosses fingers)
I used to be MyLifeAddictionEdward
Banner By Mayde
Oli Sykes is LOVE
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Nope, of course not. Which is why I'm amazed at how much pacing/waiting we do when we follow so many series!

City of Glass is due out March 2009. There will be much waiting.

Oh and I only have 94 pages to go before I finish Ashes!

ETA: I finished it at lunch! YES!!! I was right and I'm RELIEVED!! It was worth being angry at the end of the first book because Clare was plotting ahead. I'm bursting at the seams to chat.

GNE have you finished it yet???
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I haven't began yet, but I will tonight. My Girls Night Out has been cancelled due to illness.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Likeasunburn
Protector Of Pel's Sanity

Post by Likeasunburn »

I had a friend from my college's book club book-swap me both books a while back but due to some rather erm... personal embarassing interactions with the author at the now infamous *snort* Nimbus 2003 gathering here in Orlando, I hadn't been too quick to read them. However my newly dumped status and a lack of things to read, cause me to cracked open City Of Bones last night and I read the first 5 chapters. I'll try hard not to read back though this thread for fear of spoilers, but so far I have a couple of comments and "Do Huh?!"'s, and as a pre-warning, I tend to have a rather sick sense of humor:

1. The overall pacing seems quite rushed, she spends a lot more time focusing on Simon's character or even the mother's then Clary's
2. Am I the only one who read the descirption of the ravener demon and thought of the little blue wormy looking guy from Monsters INC?
3. What is up with Isabelle and those Pollyanna looking braids?!?
4. Am I missing something here, and yes, I know it's a fantasy novel, but are persian cats normally blue?
5. Hodge and that darn bird both = Creepy.

Random Mimi-babble TBC...
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

The books are rushed. Sometimes I felt like it was the author's way in her own mind of appealing to the MTV crowd. I think if you can give a teenager enough credit to read a book, you can give them enough credit to handle slower pacing. Heck, how many teens read Sunshine? It took me a long time to "chew" my way through that book even though I liked it. There are some very weird things in Bones, not the least of which is the introduction to not just a few supernatural characters, but all of them. The second book is just as rushed, but a better book. I'm hoping it will keep getting better with the third book in March.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Likeasunburn
Protector Of Pel's Sanity

Post by Likeasunburn »

Oh man, up to chapter 11 now. I'd cringe to know just how badly I'm mentally butchering the names of a lot of these places/demons/weapons... :oops:
una

Post by una »

I agree, the story does seemed rushed. However, I'm glad I listened to everyone and stuck with it. The second book is much better, feels less rushed (although there were portions I felt were glanced over and could have been explored more). This gives me a lot of hope and anticipation for the next book. Her writing is maturing and growing with each book so I am eager to see what the next story entails. I did read the excerpt from City of Glass on her website...looks really compelling!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

ARGH! I picked up the book the other day when I said I would, but I couldn't remember a lot of it. My *friend* has Bones, so I can't flip to it. I really need to refresh my memory. Now I'm super busy grading (posting on Lex). You guys can go ahead and discuss it if you like...without me. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Squee! Thank you, Nena!