Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: True Love? Reality or Myth

Post by Asheleyo »

Gamb1t,

I don't think the laws of attraction change. I do think that, at the core of any attraction (including true love), there is always a physical attraction. Some people realize sooner than others that the person they are attracted to is really a true love, but I don't actually believe in love at first sight. You might be very strongly attracted to someone automatically, and you might be lucky enough that said person ends up being the greatest love of your life. But I don't think anyone seriously knows from one look that they will love another person for the rest of their life. There's too much involved with love to base it off of one sighting.

Since I am of the opinion that love comes in many forms, I do think that you can love more than one person truly. It won't be quite the same, but love all the same. I think the love that Sam has/had for Leah is still valid, it is just out-shined by his love for Emily. The same goes for Jacob's love for Bella. It was a true love, but his love for Renesmee simply means much more to him. For those who imprint before falling in love with anyone else, they are simply not looking for anyone else. Since they'll never open themselves up to that possibility, they're sure never to find it. So their love is true and unshakable.

I too wondered about wolf imprinting on wolf, but I guess she didn't have that in mind. Also, it seems as though, from the way it's written, a first look at the imprinted after transforming is all that is needed. If Leah were to imprint on Jacob, it would have happened much sooner. It wouldn't seem practical to have imprinting not work both ways, and certainly Leah would not have been able to hide it from the others if she had imprinted.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

^^^Aye, I agree (which was exactly why I didn't want to pose the question). I guess imprinting just reminds me too much of love at first site I guess. I wish SM would have given more of a back story toward it because I always wonder if someone could imprint on someone once they got to know them. I understand this goes against what the books say because it really is love at first site (more like obsession lol...), but then again it might just be me wanting to think outside of the box (as usual....i wish I could just stay inside the box because it would make me able to focus on more pertinent things...oh well)
ImageImageImageImage
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

Maybe it's best to think of imprinting as a sixth sense. Somehow the wolves are able to sense who is the best to love them and who they would love best. Did Leah love Sam? Surely. But would she have been the best for him long-term? Maybe this is what his imprinting told him. It might just have instinctively told him that Emily would be a better mate for him.

At least it helps break away from the love-at-first-sight idea...
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Well, I personally don't believe in love at first sight. So i'm going to have to agree with Asheley and say it's more of a knowing who will be better compatible with you. Since the whole point of imprinting is to pass on the werewolf gene. I think the werewolves instinctly know that that certain person is best for them so they go about wooing said person. I think in the process they fall in love with each other. But that's just my opinion b/c like I said I dont' believe in love at first sight. I believe you have to get to know someone before you know whether you love them or not.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Imprinting doesn't have to do anything with true love. It creates the illusion of true love to draw you to that person and create the offspring that contains the werewolf gene. But sometimes it evolves into love which becomes true love. I believe in fate, destiny, and true love. Call me old-fashioned, call me full of nonsense, I have my beliefs. True love is an unstoppable force that moves at an incredible speed. No matter how cheesy that sounds. :lol:
Cadam
Settled in Forks

Post by Cadam »

Do you mean to ask if people can truly be in love; or, if each person only has one other person in the world that they can love?

I believe that love is a choice. I choose to love my husband and to act in a loving way. By our choices and hard work we have created true love. I could have created a different love with a different person, but I choose him. That is true love; making the choice every day, forever.
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Neither. I agree with you, love should be by choice and not force. Except sadly imprinting doesn't work by choice but sometimes you get adjusted to what was picked for you and learn to love it and grow fond of whoever. But I don't think love should work that way. For convienice.
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

Sorry this is so long...I have read everything that everyone has posted on this subject and think that a lot of you have taken the words right out of my mouth. I know I am a little behind in the discussion, but have really enjoyed this thread so here I go.

First, I do believe that true love exists, BUT, True Love takes work. I know to many people who have just given up when it gets hard. They fight once and quit, no one would find true love with that kind of mentality. When I think of the people who just give up, they are the people that don't believe in true love. Nothing worth having is easy. If my husband and I did not work at it, we wouldn't still be together. No one is happy all the time, even when they are alone, so you can't expect to be happy all the time when you are with someone else.

As for the Laws of Attraction, I think that just because you are attracted to someone, does not mean that they will be your true love. Really most of us are attracted to Robert Pattinson, but does that mean that he is ALL of our "True Loves" ? So there is a difference (IMO). I find that most of the people that I know that are
TRULY in LOVE ended up with the guy / girl that they didn't necessarily want to start with. I think that True Love is something that builds with time. It is based on truly knowing someone, their thoughts, feelings, and understanding their actions. Which takes time and effort.

So with that in mind, I do not necessarily believe in Love at First Sight, but it is a nice thought to have. It is nice to think when you are growing up that you will one day see someone and be forever in love with them :) But then you grow up. If I believed in love at first sight, I would have married my first boyfriend who I met when I was 12, But I didn't marry him, thankfully...he's not the best guy in the world now... I married a guy, who from first impressions was not interested in me at ALL, I was not his type (he's not a fan of red heads) and he wanted nothing more than to be my friend - No Love at First Sight - but as we got to know each other, we determined about a year later, that we were ment for each other, he is my TRUE LOVE.

Imprinting, I don't really know what I think of that. Part of me thinks that they had something taken away, that it is not true love. Poor Leah, I think she had True Love with Sam and it makes me want to cry that it was taken away. But then I wonder and think about Sam and Emily and they seem to truly love each other, but I am not as sure as I am about Leah and Sam.

So that brings me to can you have more than one true love? I would like to think not because I love my husband, but if god forbid anything ever happen to my husband or me, I would like to think that we would not be destined to be alone for the rest of our lives. I would nor do I think he would ever love someone the way that we love each other, but I have to believe that there are different people for everyone, and each coupling brings a new type of true love with it. My mom for example, LOVED my dad, but they were young, and not willing to work at it, but she has a new love and I really believe that it is a True Love. So how can there not be more than just one person out there for everyone?

Sorry I rambled, I really like this thread, and will keep up with it now, hopefully my posts will be a little more condensed.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

Lirpa wrote:

Sorry I rambled, I really like this thread, and will keep up with it now, hopefully my posts will be a little more condensed.
Don't worry at all...that's what this thread is for...I personally like long posts...so don't worry about it ;)...btw everyone is making some awesome points...keep it up!
ImageImageImageImage
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Post by n0vaice »

Recently:

"I miss Ronnie a lot, an awful lot. People say it gets better. No, it does not.... It sounds strange, but ... I see Ronnie. At nighttime, if I wake up, I think Ronnie’s there, and I start to talk to him. It’s not important what I say. But the fact is, I do think he's there. And I see him." - Nancy Reagan

I just wanted to post this for Jenna. I believe there is true love out there.

Nancy also said "My life didn't really begin until I met Ronnie."

Past:

In a letter to Nancy, Ronald wrote, "whatever I treasure and enjoy … all would be without meaning if I didn’t have you." In 1994, President Reagan wrote, "I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer's disease … I only wish there was some way I could spare Nancy from this painful experience."
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ