Gosh, I can't tell you how much this movie frustrates me. I feel like almost every character is done poorly and several aspects are the complete opposite of what they should be. I know some things will seem nit-picky, but to me it's a lot of the smaller things that set the mood for the movie and, in this case, destroy it.
1) They didn't try to get the back-woods, small town feel of Forks at all. The school is big and new and kids make fun of her for her out of date truck. In the book, she's actually relieved to find that most people have older cars, so she won't stand out too much. Nothing feels intimate about her school. Only 350 students, the place should be tiny!
2) The characters I'm most upset by are Edward, Bella, and Billy. Why were they trying to make Billy try so hard to be cool? He's effortlessly an understanding dad, but he's not lame. They didn't give him that "I know something you don't know" look when he's trying to get Bella to steer clear of the Cullens. Bella! Ugh! Ok, she's supposed to be quiet and shy, but very nice as well. She looks irritated all the time and she's snippy and rude and looks like she's always about to scream someone's head off in the movie. When you look at her, you should think "Aww, poor cute little girl who obviously is uncomfortable with being in the spotlight" not "Stop looking at me like you're gonna jump down my throat." Edward is supposed to be composed, suave, and secretive. When they're together in the movie, he's nervous, anxious, uncomfortable. He should look like he's sitting still as stone, not shaking with anxiety. There are very few times when I see him even look at Bella with love in his eyes, much less try to dazzle her.
3) Please tell me why Jacob does not tell her about the cold ones being vampires? The whole point is for her to have that whole weekend to think about what she has learned. The aside with the Quileute book of legends is just retarded and a waste of time. She had good enough reason to go to a bookstore on her own without that. There was no need for it. Plus, this made the restaurant scene pointless since Edward didn't confirm any of her suspicions. And instead of her guessing about the mind-reading, he just comes out with it? And this leads to what I feel is the most out of character scene in the movie: when Bella confronts him about what he is. Seriously, he's practically yelling at her to say "vampire" out loud! Edward wouldn't yell at her like that. And then the next day, despite his bloodlust and how long it takes him just to hold her hand, he's perfectly easily throwing his arm around her like it's nothing?
4) The Cullen house really really bothers me. I love that it's supposed to be an old restoration made absolutely beautiful. It plays on their real ages and fits with their family so well. But no, they had to make it some totally modern house, not pale at all. Where's the awesome wall of glass in the back? Why is Edward's room so small? I hate how it looks like your average billionaire would live there.
5) Ok, the scenes with James, Victoria, and Laurent chasing people drives me nuts. There's no reason they couldn't have just been brought up in the baseball scene with a simple "visitors passing through heard us playing ball and wanted to say hi." Not to mention that those three would have smelled the other vampires around and known that it was other's territory, and that's a big deal with them. They wouldn't have hunted inside Forks. Plus the scenes are just plain cheesy. And we have wasted time on heartbreak for Charlie losing a friend. Is this supposed to substitute for Harry later on or what? It's a waste!
6) With as focused as Alice was on Bella during the James hunt, she would have seen a decision to walk out the door of the hotel while she and Jasper are standing in the foyer. It's ridiculous.
7) The prom! First of all, I thought it was endearing how it's supposed to be the silly little in the school gym prom with paper streamers and all. And yet you see the beautiful vampires dressed for fashion runways. It's hilarious! Nooooo...lame casino theme and Edward in an ugly suit and Bella in what looks like a very regular dress and Converses??? And no Alice + Jasper or Rosalie + Emmett flowing on the dance floor freaking everyone else out! It kills me!
I seriously can't stand this movie. It hurts to watch it. I really severely hope that New Moon turns out better.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.
Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.