Chapter 19: Burning

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
saphhie
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 19: Burning

Post by saphhie »

1. What were your feelings while reading this chapter? Was Bella’s transformation what you expected, how so?
I was stunned and shocked of course. It was how i expected it but i can't exactly picutre the exact words so i was still a little surpirse of course

2. It seems the pain of the transition cannot be lessened. Knowing this, would you be willing to undergo this transition? If Bella had known what the morphine would do, would she have still undergone the transition using the morphine?
No i would not. Not because of hte pian but because i have no desire to be a vmapire. Yes bella would stil because even if she knew Edard did not. It also kept her paralyzed so edward couldnt see her pain and thats what she wanted.

3. Once this is over, do you think Bella will ever tell Edward about the morphine, her transition? How do you think Edward would have reacted if Bella had cried out?
She would never tell him because he would feel way bad and blame himself. He would have held her hand aand probably have to leave the room or something. Jasper would need to calm him down a lot. He would be haitng himself the whole time.

4. Why do you feel Edward kept the baby from the room when Bella awakes?
He does not want renesmee getting hurt from bella as she is a newborn adn they tihnk she can't handle it. he loves rensemee too and knows also that bella would be crushed if she hurt her own child. and also proably because then jacob owuld kill bella. Edward knows about the impriting of course.
  • not a team just your average CULLEN FAN!!!
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

1. What were your feelings while reading this chapter? Was Bella’s transformation what you expected, how so?
I thought it was one of the best chapters because you have gotten so used to the one world then all the sudden you get to know this new world that is just amazing.

2. It seems the pain of the transition cannot be lessened. Knowing this, would you be willing to undergo this transition? If Bella had known what the morphine would do, would she have still undergone the transition using the morphine?
If i was in the same situation as Bella, knowing i can have a love like that forever, i mean with out pain the wonderful would be like nothing. I do thing Bella would have chosen the morphine even though it made the pain worse because it helped Edward to not know how much pain she was in so he didn't suffer as much.

3. Once this is over, do you think Bella will ever tell Edward about the morphine, her transition? How do you think Edward would have reacted if Bella had cried out? No i don't think Bella will ever willing tell Edward about the Morphine at least not until about a hundred years have gone by. I think Edward would do what he always does when Bella is hurt and he can't do anything about it sit with her try and be brave but beat himself up about on the inside.

for the baby and Bella's safety. plain and simple.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hi, Alphie! These are really great discussion questions!

I felt so sorry for Bella! To be in that much pain and not cry out takes a lot of strength! Bella's transformation was exactly how I expected it to be...slow and painful. I was so glad when it was over and she woke up as a newborn. What I did not expect was for Bella to be such a natural at being a vampire. I was pleasantly surprised by her easy transition into her new life.

I don't know if I would be willing to undergo such a transition or not...I am a wuss when it comes to pain. I mean, I have known some real pain in my life, but to think of what a minor burn on the hand feels like. The transition from human to vampire would be a million times worse! However, the kind of love that Bella has for Edward would be an insentive to bear the pain...knowing I had eternity with him to look forward to.
Bella would have undergone the transformation regardless. She was determined to be Edward's wife for all eternity.

3. Once this is over, do you think Bella will ever tell Edward about the morphine, her transition? How do you think Edward would have reacted if Bella had cried out?
Bella will never tell Edward how bad the pain was with the morphine. She knows he would never get over it if he knew how much pain she was actually in during her transformation.
Edward would have literally tortured himself with guilt had Bella cried out in pain.

No one could have known how much self-control Bella would have as a newborn vampire. Edward was protecting Renessmee, but he was also protecting Bella. She would never have forgiven herself if she had lost control and harmed her "little nudger".
inhiding
Settled in Forks

Post by inhiding »

1. What were your feelings while reading this chapter? Was Bella’s transformation what you expected, how so? It was very different, but I guess the morphine was fogging her head so it wasn't nearly all screams and moans like the end of Twilight. I can clearly recall times of intense pain, and focusing on breathing was a way to get through it. I thought this was particularly clever, when Bella just starts counting Edward's breaths as something steady to focus on.

2. It seems the pain of the transition cannot be lessened. Knowing this, would you be willing to undergo this transition? If Bella had known what the morphine would do, would she have still undergone the transition using the morphine? Ha ha-- it's called natural childbirth! Okay, so that was only a few hours. 3 days would be SSSOOOO LONG! At first, I didn't think that she would undergo it with the morphine-- she certainly didn't like losing control of her mind, and being in the "darkness." But it occurs to me that if she thought it would give Edward some piece of mind, she would have suffered through it so he could think she was relatively pain free.

3. Once this is over, do you think Bella will ever tell Edward about the morphine, her transition? How do you think Edward would have reacted if Bella had cried out? I don't think she would ever tell him. She's so careful to not hurt him, and what purpose would it serve if she told him the truth? If she would have cried out in pain, he would have been in complete anguish, and he would have been so tormented. Remember what happened when he saw her bruises on their honeymoon? Despite the fact that she was smiling? Can you imagine how tortured his sould would have been to hear her screaming for 3 days???

4. Why do you feel Edward kept the baby from the room when Bella awakes? Do you think that in the days leading up, this would have been something they might have talked about? Bella would probably have wanted to take every possible precaution. We know Edward has a tendency to ... extreme behavior.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

I thought the way SM described the transformation was brilliant. I dont know quite what I was expecting but I thought it was really good during reading it.

The pain factor is irrelevant in deciding whether to go ahead with the transformation or not. If you really want to be transformed you will do it no matter what. The pain is a horrible factor to take into consideration, dont get me wrong, but as that isnt your main reason for being transformed you shouldnt let it influence you too much. Bella didnt have a choice re the morphine so she may have ended up having it whether she liked it or not.

I dont think she will ever tell Edward. She will want to as she will hate the idea of having secrets but she doesnt want Edward to feel horrible about turning her. She doesnt want him to feel any more guilty then he already does so she will protect him by not saying anything. If Bella had cried out poor Edward. He wouldnt be able to do anything but I suppose he would have comforted Bella. Thats all he could have done. It was very brave and admirable of Bella not to cry out. She did it for all the right reasons too, so as to not upset Edward any further.

As Bella would have been unpredictable. Maybe it was for the baby's safety as much as Bellas and theirs. Also, she has just been through many great ordeals and needs a moment to come to terms with everything and sort through her head, without giving her more things to think/worry about. It was a good move I think.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
eclipse79
Settled in Forks

Post by eclipse79 »

I have a theory on the whole morphine thing. I think the reason the pain cannot be dulled, is because it's not a physical pain, it's a spirtual/out of body moment type of pain. Aren't vampires supposed to be eternally :o damned :o afterall?

I was just waiting for Bella to give in and scream already! I have no clue why, but I just wanted her to scream or at least communicate at least!

I would be willing. I don't think Bella would still use morphine, as obviously it's useless, but yes she would still go through with it. It's a small price to pay if you desire to be with your true love for eternity.

She won't ever willingly tell him. That would hurt him! But I think eventually it will slip out in her thoughts while she has her shield off, and he'll find out that way. Edward would have been as tortured as when Bella was pregnant with Renesmee if he had known she was in pain.

Obviously, he thought Bella would thirst for little Renesmee's blood. Side note--it would have been interesting if Bella would have had some post-pregnancy depression. Not fun for the characters, but it would have been interesting.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

wow......this is whats like to change into a vampire........seems worth it!! :lol:

bella would have done anything to stay with edward and im in the same boat! ;)

exactly how she described it. i think it would have hurt edward to know she was sufferring.....although they did that in new moon too soooo...i dont know if it changed anything. *shrug*

he's being edward. cautious and careful around bella.....even though shes a vamp now!!
Betting on Alice.
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

I was glad to finally read first hand what the experience was like, I think SM did a great job of that,.. she could have just passed over it but I think writing about it was best. I expected the burning, which she absolutely was, but I didn't expect as much,.. It seemed way worse than I thought it would be.

Like she said, she didn't want to give Edward a reason to doubt changing her again,.. anything to help him think it was easier. Maybe she would have, just because it helped her at first not scream and move around like she didn't want to. I probably would want the morphine, just because I don't handle pain well and I wouldn't want to be screaming the whole time either.

It would have very well of killed Edward,.. ehh,.. it's hard to say if Bella would tell him about the morphine, maybe in a long ways down the road, or if they were ever going to change someone else, I could see her telling then, just so noone else would have to go through it.

I was kinda shocked, like what?! Baby's a vampire somewhat,.. right? But it was probably a good idea because she was just waking up and they wouldn't know what to expect of her. They probably weren't expecting her to care so much about seeing the baby right away after everything she went through.
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

No! This is another one I did not expect when reading Breaking Dawn. I know Bella isn't an average human but I thought the experience would be the same for her.

If I had an Edward waiting for me on the immortal side, I'll take it with no second thought. Bella has her mind already set up and I think no amount of pain or torture would have stop her from becoming an immortal. They can tell her that in order for her to be a vampire you would have to be burned alive and she would still do it in a heartbeat.

I think this is one experience of Bella that she would not share with Edward. It would just hurt Edward to know that Bella suffers more because of the morphine, he would just blame himself more for that. He would be totally devastated if Bella had cried out during the transformation. I think the "I'm so sorry Bella" line would be the only thing we would be reading in this chapter, maybe that's the reason why SM wrote Bella's transformation this way... :lol:

Well Renesmee has a heartbeat and blood flows in her veins, of course Edward was just taking the necessary precautions. They don't know how Bella would react once she smell the human blood.
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

It was all I expected, I figured Bellas transformation would be different because she knew what to expect going into it.

Ha ha ha ha oh yes I would :)) and well if I knew Edward was waiting for me who wouldn't ;). She didn't want Edward to know she'd be in that much pain and not want to go through with it.

No, she doesn't want him to feel bad for causing her that much pain. He would of been very very very sad

so she wouldn't be tempted by the sumwhat human blood
**Kathryn**