General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
IloveAliceCullen<3
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Bella's Pregnancy

Post by IloveAliceCullen<3 »

Well, the first time I read Breaking Dawn, I was a little sad.
The things that happened were a little.. I don't know how to say.. you could guess it. You could guess what would happen.
Though I loved it and after I read the Saga once, Breaking Dawn was my favourite book, because there happens so much in BD! I loved it, mostly, but yeah, like I said; you were able to guess what would happen.

Twilight Saga has changed my view of life. I really want to marry and I want to have children later.
I didn't think of these things much, but now I do sometimes.

I loved the pregnancy! I couldn't imagine how Bella felt (and that sucked) but I loved it. I really started to like Rosalie too.
But, I don't understand Stephenie Meyer when she chose for the pregnancy from Jacob's POV.
I think I would prefer it from Bella's POV. I want to know how she felt!
At the other hand, because we don't really know how she felt, we can understand her better.

-Sorry, my English sucks today-
Damon and Elena, there is definetly love between them.

"There hadn't been butterflies in her stomach, there had been bats."

Damon's POV~ I will be I swear Surrender

rapid_reader1 is the best VFF ever!
andrea0908
Settled in Forks

Post by andrea0908 »

Well, about Bella's pregnancy...for me,it could be possible, it could happen. SM created a different world of vampires and werewolves from her imagination and anything can happen in that world,of course it was just fantasy,it was fictional. In reality,it is absolutely impossible.Scientifically and biologically it is out of reality and we are not reading true to life stories here(although some locations and places are real). It's a folklore,a legendary book combined to real and existing places. Do you believe in vampires then? I do not! Do you belive in werewolves too? I do not too! Those were only products of SM wild imaginations, wild enough to make us all almost believe in it. In my home country, some people especially elder ones,they still believe on incubus and succubus thing, not particularly vampires,but of creatures and spirits from a different world.This is the reason why I understand SM presentation of Bells pregnancy, because I heard the stories myself in my homeland but again those were only stories...With SM explanation on how Bells got pregnant, even without Edward's life-giving-fluid,just the venom, I buy it. Althought there is no necessity for her to explain it since her book is just fantasy, but for the benefit of those who are curious,it was logically well said.The venom the only fluid her vampires have contains powerful vampiric genes that gives eternal and different life to the dying or those who want it. That explains how the Cullens and her vampires were transformed from mortality into a perfect and beautiful creatures of immortality. You definitely accepted her concept on that matter.Isn't it fictional too? So why not possible with Bells pregnancy? With the powerful gene -containing-venom fertilizing or lets say transforming the human egg cell (considering the fetal growth is extremely rapid) into a half vampire and half human hybrid. That's logically, not realistically but fictionally possible. :D
Last edited by andrea0908 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know it's Hard...But I Want to Believe that my Edward is REAL
noelia_cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by noelia_cullen »

Even though it was written from Jacob's POV,I can really understand how Bella felt, she would die for that creature if she had to, only because it was a part of Edward, she wouldn't b able to kill something that came from him, even if it was killing her

Although, we all know that Bella is kind of masochistic, I understood perfectly and supported her sacrifice because this time he was a worthy reason!! it was her child! and Edward's too!!!

I didnt enjoy the delivery part, it was too dramatic, we wanted a stress situation but I think that went a little over the top with all the blood coming out from her, uuggg, It was kind of creepy!
Team Edward: Because sparkling it's way cooler!
(Sorry if my english isn't perfect, it's not my home language)
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

I'm sorry, I may be dense, but I still do not understand how she got pregnant.

It would have been better if Steph had said "Bella got pregnant because I said she did." But she tried to use science to explain it.

I would have bought it if Edward still had left over sperm from when he was human because during his final hours the sperm he had produced was never expelled because he was dying. But, that theory is shot down by the fact that Nehuel's father sired more than one child. That means after Nehuel was concieved his father would have to make more. Wouldn't his body need to change for that? Sperm is not magical; it doesn't just pop out of nowhere. It has to be made. For that to happen, his body would have to change. But vampires bodies don't change, right?

The sperm could have been frozen and during sex it was thawed because of Bella's body heat. But then, wouldn't Nessie have been human? Sperm is very sensitive to both temperature and PH level. I mean, even if either is off in human males it will affect their sperm. In that case, surely the venom would have been WAY too acidic for the sperm to survive.

Why do male vampire's even have sperm? They don't need it because that is not how vampires are produced. Stephenie says that vampires don't have tears because tears help protect the eyes, and since their eyes don't need protection anymore, they don't have any. "However, they don't produce tears because tears exist to protect the eye from damage, and nothing is going to be able to scratch a vampire's eye." (from the BD FAQ on her site) Vampires don't have sex to reproduce, so why do they have sperm?

Oh, and are you seriously telling me that Carlisle never looked at vampire seman under a microscope? He was never curious about what was in it? He knows how many chromosomes they have; wouldn't he be curious to see what their sperm was like?

If Bella is human and ages normally, and Edward is a vampire and doesn't age at all, why does Nessie age faster? Have we gotten an answer?

And is anyone else bothered by the fact that only women have fertility issues?

Oh, and Stephenie did say at one point that male vampires cannot get anyone pregnant, it is on this site. Personal Correspondence #1:

And since we’re talking physiology…I’ve had tons of people ask if vampires can have babies. The answer is no. When someone becomes a vampire, it’s as if they are frozen exactly as they are in that moment. His or her (and we’ll go with her because it’s more central to this discussion) body no longer experiences change.

*Bolded by me for emphasis

I'm not being a troll. I just want to understand it better.
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

when bella started craving eggs and getting sick i knew she was pregnant. :lol:

i was happy about the pregnancy, i felt like it was perfect. i didn't think edward would change so that was the perfect opportunity for him to do so.

i also loved how protective she of the baby was while she was pregnant and how she instantly loved the baby.
Sannois

Post by Sannois »

Hmmm Well All I can say is after that romantic magical, if not somewhat odd honeymoon, The pregnancy threw me for a loop.
I was really annoyed at Rosalee, and horrified at the thought of some little red eyed Demon eating Bella alive.
The bones breaking did me in. Like I said in another thread, I was so disgusted I put the book down and emailed the friend who got me into the series. She said I told you it was different. keep reading.
The vomiting blood, almost had me losing my lunch.. Gack~ But The delivery was so dramatic, So intense. Edward biting the baby out of her protective cover. Him injecting his Venom into Bella, It was very intense.
Actually truth be told, I became a fan of BD once Bella became a vampire. She was so cool. OK so the charley thing, and Him accepting it.. I loved that all the Cullens were impressed with her ability to not be a crazy Newborn.
I have not read all the replies here But I know several people who were put off by the graphic nature of that chapter.
But got past it and love the rest. So yeah The pregnancy and delivery were a shocker for me. Did not change the fact that I still adore her books, All in a different way. ;) :)
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

suzzeeQ wrote:Oh, and Stephenie did say at one point that male vampires cannot get anyone pregnant, it is on this site. Personal Correspondence #1:

And since we’re talking physiology…I’ve had tons of people ask if vampires can have babies. The answer is no. When someone becomes a vampire, it’s as if they are frozen exactly as they are in that moment. His or her (and we’ll go with her because it’s more central to this discussion) body no longer experiences change.

*Bolded by me for emphasis

I'm not being a troll. I just want to understand it better.
Believe me, I would have loved for Stephenie Meyer to, as you said, say "Because I said so," and leave it at that. :)

But in this case, note that she is not saying that male vampires cannot get anyone pregnant. What she said is that vampires cannot have babies. Males do not have babies, so this is a female-centric comment, disguised so that she didn't have to reveal too much about the upcoming birth of Renesmee. (Remember these were done prior to Breaking Dawn coming out.) She even adds the "we'll go with her" comment to distract us from looking at the men and focusing on the women.

She did say that vampires are frozen the way they were at the time of change. This tells me that, if the male vampire were too young to actually be sexually mature, he would not be able to impregnate a human female. That's obviously not the case with Edward, who was 17 at the time of change.

At least, this is how I see it.
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

She said his OR her, not his AND her.

His and her-- vampires cannot make a baby together.

His or her-- a female cannot get pregnant no matter what and a male cannot impregnant no matter what.
andrea0908
Settled in Forks

Post by andrea0908 »

suzzeeQ wrote:She said his OR her, not his AND her.

His or her-- a female cannot get pregnant no matter what and a male cannot impregnant no matter what.

I think she neither said his and her nor even his or her in one of her answers or discussions. It simply said " a vampire cannot get pregnant because this would involve a change in their physical state", and I agree of ringswraith, that it is a female-centric comment. Only females can get pregnant not males.In addition, it also mentions that 'most of the human fluids are absent in a vampire such as sweats, tears and blood'. It only said "most" not "all" which is exactly a different thing. Go read the Lexis vampire mythodology, under physiology. Though the pregnancy thing is really hard to explain if you are trying to relate it to biological sense. But most of the concepts of fanfic universe are beyond the grasp of human sense. It usually involves magical and extraordinary happenings.
I know it's Hard...But I Want to Believe that my Edward is REAL
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

suzzeeQ wrote:She said his OR her, not his AND her.

To wit, Stephenie Meyer's sentence was, as you quoted:
His or her (and we’ll go with her because it’s more central to this discussion) body no longer experiences change.

Taking the "or" out of the sentence:

"His body no longer experiences change."

"Her body no longer experiences change."

Neither statement says that a male vampire cannot impregnate a female human.