General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: The Honeymoon

Post by gamb1t »

Jadey wrote:Keeping Breaking Dawn PG13 or 'young adult' was a joke.

I wanted some juicy details :l
Na.

I do agree that there was a biggish/longish build up to it.. and we ended up getting ripped off.
But I got a bit distracted the first time by the bruises and whatnot to even be mad that there were no details.
But all the other times from then on just got boring. Yawn.

And I didn't like the part when she woke up crying, begging for it.. either. :?
Sorry, I just now stumbled onto this thread and I'm glad to see other people feel the same way I did. I was just making sure I wasn't being a perv or something when I read it, but I wanted a little more than was offered (I don't mean i wanted something raunchy...just a tad more than what SM provided). The scene in Eclipse was 100x better in my opinion (how it was written at least)....But I'm glad that other people feel the same way so I don't feel the same way now lol...
ImageImageImageImage
Cadam
Settled in Forks

Post by Cadam »

I don't think that details were left out to keep things pg-13. That may have been the result but I don't think that was the intent. This was their first time. I think that the lack of detail was for a few reasons.

SM greatly respects her characters and I wouldn't put it past her to give them this small privacy. Making love with a husband or wife for the first time is indescribable. That first time with someone you have waited for, for so long.... There are no words that would do it justice so why try and fall flat? If you are married, you remember that first time with your spouse and so Bella and Edward's first night needs no further explanation. We may not get the play by play but we do get a pretty good idea of what went on. Bitten pillows and how says she only wanted him to hold her tighter, I really think it was plenty.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most people who wanted more detail are not married. I am just guessing mind you. Being closer to SM's age than most of your ages, married, and a mom certainly plays into my opinion. I think it was beautifully written and plenty suggestive. If you have btdt you need no further explanation and if you haven't btdt then you probably don't need that stuff in your brain.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Cadam wrote: I am going to go out on a limb and say that most people who wanted more detail are not married. I am just guessing mind you. Being closer to SM's age than most of your ages, married, and a mom certainly plays into my opinion. I think it was beautifully written and plenty suggestive. If you have btdt you need no further explanation and if you haven't btdt then you probably don't need that stuff in your brain.
In my opinion age or marital status does not have anything to do with it. I have been with the same guy for 10 years. We are not married, but we've lived together for more or less 8 years. And my first time was with him. So I consider myself practically married, if not in law. Because marriage is not a big deal for me. What matters is our commitment. But that's another discussion. So...
But I still wanted more details from the honeymoon. Not the physical details of the act itself. But I wanted to see more of their...I don't know what to call it....foreplay, maybe? Something like the leg hitch thing in Eclipse. To see them be intimate with each other, without actually describing the act itself. I felt we got so little...Just the two of them in the water, and then it was over. I wanted more kissing, touching, more leg hitch ;) I wanted to see Edward let his cautious guard down a bit, and see how he handled it.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Dovrebanen wrote: In my opinion age or marital status does not have anything to do with it. I have been with the same guy for 10 years. We are not married, but we've lived together for more or less 8 years. And my first time was with him. So I consider myself practically married, if not in law.[color]

Where I live you would be legally married lol.

I'm not sure I would rather have more or not. I mean it would be nice to see their intimacy before the act if not during it. It's just so hard to get a good love scene without having a LOT of smut. And while some good smut is nice now and again it wouldn't have fit with the theme of the book.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

vampirenerd wrote:
Dovrebanen wrote: In my opinion age or marital status does not have anything to do with it. I have been with the same guy for 10 years. We are not married, but we've lived together for more or less 8 years. And my first time was with him. So I consider myself practically married, if not in law.
Where I live you would be legally married lol.
I would? WOW. I'll just consider myself married then :lol:
vampirenerd wrote:I'm not sure I would rather have more or not. I mean it would be nice to see their intimacy before the act if not during it. It's just so hard to get a good love scene without having a LOT of smut. And while some good smut is nice now and again it wouldn't have fit with the theme of the book.
Yeah, I know. It's a very thin line you're walking on when you're writing love scenes. Because I would never want Twilight to be like some of the fanfictions (for instance Wide Awake, which I love, but I would find the level of detail so inappropriate for Twilight). But it would be possible...For instance show a little kissing in the water and on the beach. And let us see their insecurities and nerves, and excitement. And then just stop the whole thing at one kiss, and have her wake up the next morning. That would still give us a little more, and still keep it respectful and pure, and PG-13.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Yes you would lol. Here we have common law marriage. After living together for seven years you are legally married.

And I agree that it is possible to be done. I would've liked more I just don't know how well SM would be able to walk that line and I would hate for Twilight to be smutty. Even though in other stories it works fine.
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

By more detail, I was thinking along the lines of this. It's from one of my favorite books, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

I don’t pretend to understand the mystery of love, but this time is was more than sex, more than using a woman’s body. I was being lifted off the earth, outside fear and torment, being part of something greater than myself. I was lifted out of the dark cell of my own mid, to become part of someone else—just as I had experienced it that day on the couch in therapy. It was the first step outward to the universe—beyond the universe—because in it and with it we merged to recreate and perpetuate the human spirit. Expand and bursting outward, and contracting and forming inward, it was the rhythm of being—of breathing, of heartbeat, of day and night—and the rhythm of our bodies set off an echo in my mind. It was the way it had been back there in that strange vision. The grey murk lifted from my mind, and through it the light pierced into my brain (how strange the light should blind!), and my body was absorbed back into a great sea of space, washed under a strange baptism. My body shuddered with grieving, and her body shuddered its acceptance.

This way was the way we loved, until the night became a silent day. And as I lay there with her I could see how important physical love was, how necessary it was for us to be in each other’s arms, giving and taking. The universe was exploding, each particle away from the next, hurtling us into dark and lonely space, eternally tearing us away from each other—child out of the womb, friend away from friend, moving from each other, each through his own pathway toward the goal-box of solitary death.

But this was the counterweight, the act of binding and holding. As when men to keep from being swept overboard in the storm clutch at each other’s hands to resist being torn apart, so out bodies fused a link in the human chain that kept us from being swept into nothing.

And in the moment before I fell off into sleep, I remembered the way it had been between Fay and myself, and I smiled. No wonder that had been easy. It had been only physical. This with Alice was a mystery.

I leaned over and kissed her eyes.

Alice knows everything about me now, and accepts the fact that we can be together for only a short while. She has agreed to go away when I tell her to go. It’s painful to think about that, but what we have, I suspect, is more that most people find in a lifetime.

That is what I mean by more detail.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

After all the build up and sexual tension I was expecting a little more and was slightly dissapointed that no details/description were given. Im not saying every detail but as it was such a build up and also the anxiety attached with whether Bella would receive any injuries etc. plus the fact it is a big thing for couples made me think there would be some details about their night together, or at least some general lines. It would have had to have been carried out in a romantic way though with just a little hint of passion and spice. But then again the fact that such a wide range of ages reads the books meant it would have been difficult to please everyone.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

I was hoping we'd get to see some of their first-timer fumblings. These two were virgins and although in general they would know what they are doing, it would have been nice to see some awkward moments. I think Meyer could have added a little more detail without it being distasteful. She could have at least wrote how they made it from the beach to the bed.
bodysnatcher
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bodysnatcher »

I don't mean this in any disrespectful way, since some people consider it rude to compare one artists' work to another's, however I think that had it been another author like Jodi Picoult or Janet Fitch, we would've gotten the Honeymoon scene some of us were hoping for. If any of you have read any of their books, these authors know how to illustrate a love scene without making it sound raunchy. Stephenie Meyer is a great writer in her own way, but (me and my beest friend have discussed this), it seems as if she is incapable of writing a love scene. I don't want to sound like a perv either, but the language used by other authors, metaphors, similes, and allusions used to better explain the importance of the consumation, the love shared between two beings wouldn't make a sex scene obscene. It could be possible since SM has only written five books in a short period of time, all of them with pressure from Little Brown (her publication company). I wasn't entirely satisfied with BD because I felt like it was rushed, but of course thats an entirely different thread...

I still love Stephenie Meyer, her characters, and the Saga. I'm not trying to bash SM, just giving my opinion as a reader.
"and the boy loved the tree"