Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Re: Emily Young

Post by Black »

I found a great fic for Sam and Emily fans. Emily gets pregnant and Sam is totally sweet and supportive. Everyone is in-character and you really get a rare glimpse at what a day in the life of Emily and Sam is like.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4482614/1/
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

Black wrote:
Anyway, I don't understand your guys' problem with imprinting. Isn't complete love and adoration the very thing you work toward in a relationship? Wouldn't it be nice to have it right from the off, knowing that it was real and that you weren't wasting valuable time with dead-enders?
emphasis mine

The key word is work. They don't have to work for the relationship at all. Relationships take alot of time and work to maintain. They will always stay together because of the imprint, not because of the hard work put into the relationship. Neither of them have a choice. Take away all the bows and glitter and fluff, and imprinting is like forced servitude.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

My thoughts exactly.

Imprinting, ironically, takes all the magic out of falling in love. Typically, romantic relationships, or any relationship really, goes through so much pain and sorrow and hardship, because it's a relationship worth fighting for, worth going through pain and suffering for, and then that relationship becomes stronger because of that. True love is almost like the reward for all that pain. So, imprinting is kind of like cheating, IMO.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

suzzeeQ wrote:emphasis mine

The key word is work. They don't have to work for the relationship at all. Relationships take alot of time and work to maintain. They will always stay together because of the imprint, not because of the hard work put into the relationship. Neither of them have a choice. Take away all the bows and glitter and fluff, and imprinting is like forced servitude.
Emily is my favorite character, hands down. I admire her strength and poise through adversity. I also think the appeal is that she wasn't fleshed out in the books and I can imagine any past and future for her that I want! It's like a free pass! Yay me. :) Plus, I always wanted a scar on my face. Yes, I am strange.

One question for suzzeeQ - They will always stay together? I thought that only one of them imprinted, not both? And I thought (because of all the hate flowing towards Emily in this thread) it was established that she at least had a choice. I don't believe that they don't have to work at the relationship just because of the imprint. In fact, the imprint might make a lot of things harder.

The imprinting-as-forced-servitude comment sort of reminds me of the conundrum of the Matrix movies. Do you take the red pill or the blue pill? ;) If it were me, I would stay in the Matrix. Not because things are "bows and glitter and fluff", but because you are still free in your own mind. Consciousness guarantees freedom. Well, for humans anyway. It may be like cheating, but if it's as good as Sam and Emily, bring on the loaded dice!
Black wrote:
I found a great fic for Sam and Emily fans. Emily gets pregnant and Sam is totally sweet and supportive. Everyone is in-character and you really get a rare glimpse at what a day in the life of Emily and Sam is like.
Hey, Black, thanks for the fan fic recommendation! Got any more?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Trust me, you really DON'T want a scar on your face....

Emily, in theory, had a choice. But I, personally, don't feel it's fair to expect someone to turn down their soul mate. And honestly, I don't really know how much choice she had. Isn't the purpose of imprinting that you find the person who will be best to carry on your wolfy gene? So that would require mating, which (hopefully) requires some kind of romantic relationship.

Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Trust me, you really DON'T want a scar on your face.....
Do you have one or know someone who does? And what kind of an impact does it have on their view of life, or does it have an impact at all? My hubbie has a pretty extensive scar on his face (nothing totally disfiguring and it wasn't life-threatening, he's just a clumsy, clumsy man) and it's one of the things I love about him physically. I don't think it really changed his outlook, but then again, it is not as extensive as Emily's. And he's a guy, it's okay for them to be tough and scarred up.

In fact, that's a good question to contemplate. How much do you think the scarring changed Emily and what impact did it have on her relationships?
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Emily, in theory, had a choice. But I, personally, don't feel it's fair to expect someone to turn down their soul mate. And honestly, I don't really know how much choice she had. Isn't the purpose of imprinting that you find the person who will be best to carry on your wolfy gene? So that would require mating, which (hopefully) requires some kind of romantic relationship.
Do you think Leah expected her, or even asked her, to give up Sam? Did they all know about imprinting before it happened? Or was it all just sprung on them after the fact? And yes, I believe that the purpose of imprinting is to pass on the gene, procreate and make stronger wolves. Ahh, romance. ;)
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

I'm pretty sure Leah had no idea of the imprint before she phased. In her, and almost everyone else's, point of view, Sam dumped her for Emily. That's how I understand it. It wasn't until after she started phasing that she got the whole imprinting story.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Angelvamp wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Trust me, you really DON'T want a scar on your face.....
Do you have one or know someone who does? And what kind of an impact does it have on their view of life, or does it have an impact at all? My hubbie has a pretty extensive scar on his face (nothing totally disfiguring and it wasn't life-threatening, he's just a clumsy, clumsy man) and it's one of the things I love about him physically. I don't think it really changed his outlook, but then again, it is not as extensive as Emily's. And he's a guy, it's okay for them to be tough and scarred up.
I, actually, was born with a cleft lip/palate. I have a thin scar running from my upper lip to the start of my nose, as well as very minor scarring around my nose. My surgeon, God bless him, did a beautiful job and some people don't notice. But it's made a huge impact on my life. It's hard, because it's a scar that makes your face so distinctly not normal. Not ugly, necessarily. Like I said, it's not that noticeable. But it definitely takes a toll on your self-confidence, especially when you're young, and that leads to you building your character out of that insecurity and compensating for not being "pretty" all the time.

The mentality is kind of like this. Okay, I'm not pretty, I have to work everything else extra hard and hope it's enough. And then when that falls through, especially with boys, it always comes back to you feeling stupid and ugly. A scar on your face is not like a scar anywhere else.

I think it's different if you are born with it or get it, when you get it, how you get it, and where it is. Lots of people have little scars on their foreheads, chins, and cheeks and it's no big deal, because the basic arrangement and appearance of their features is still normal. Disfiguring scars are harder, emotionally, IMO.

Sorry to ramble. Hope that clears that up. I must say I was a little taken aback by your wish to have a scar on your face. Hopefully now you understand why.
Angelvamp wrote:In fact, that's a good question to contemplate. How much do you think the scarring changed Emily and what impact did it have on her relationships?
I think that that is an exceptional question. I think it doesn't bother her anymore, although it was probably horrendous when it happened. I think it bothers Sam more, makes him feel guilty all the time.
holdingoutforjacob wrote:Emily, in theory, had a choice. But I, personally, don't feel it's fair to expect someone to turn down their soul mate. And honestly, I don't really know how much choice she had. Isn't the purpose of imprinting that you find the person who will be best to carry on your wolfy gene? So that would require mating, which (hopefully) requires some kind of romantic relationship.
Angelvamp wrote:Do you think Leah expected her, or even asked her, to give up Sam? Did they all know about imprinting before it happened? Or was it all just sprung on them after the fact? And yes, I believe that the purpose of imprinting is to pass on the gene, procreate and make stronger wolves. Ahh, romance. ;)
You know, I don't think that Leah expected her to fall for Sam in return. That must have sucked. But I also don't think she would have asked Emily to give Sam up. I think she knew the damage had been done. I think she's also too proud to ask for that.

Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:The mentality is kind of like this. Okay, I'm not pretty, I have to work everything else extra hard and hope it's enough. And then when that falls through, especially with boys, it always comes back to you feeling stupid and ugly. A scar on your face is not like a scar anywhere else.
Thanks for sharing that, I really appreciate it. You know, even though Rosalie is absolutely gorgeous physically, I don't think many people find her attractive. Just being pretty is rarely the main draw for anyone worth having. Remember what Edward told Emmett in MS, when he was explaining about his attraction to Bella (I didn't want to elaborate, in case you're a MSV)? Also, I don't think stupidity and ugliness have anything to do with each other. I hope you realize this and hold yourself in the high regard you should, regardless of how many scars you have.
holdingoutforjacob wrote:You know, I don't think that Leah expected her to fall for Sam in return. That must have sucked. But I also don't think she would have asked Emily to give Sam up. I think she knew the damage had been done. I think she's also too proud to ask for that.
You are right about this, I think. Especially the pride thing, I suspect it is Leah's biggest obstacle.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Thank you for that. I know stupidity and ugliness have nothing to do with each other, but sometimes you feel stupid for thinking people might look past that.

Leah, I think, has the same tragic flaw as lots of people who are very insecure, very hurt, and very prideful. But I shall take that to the Leah thread!!!