Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Fire and Ice

Post by funkidiva »

1. What do you think about the honesty the boys show each other?
I really enjoyed this chapter. I loved how honest they were, for a change. They have to be in order to not let Bella get caught in the middle and hurt by them both. It was good to see 2 males bonding like that too.

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience?
Even when letting his guard down he is still in control and focused. Its great that he did show a slight vulnerability though. He can see how cut up Jacob is that Bella is with Edward and not him so it was good of Edward to cut Jacob some slack and show that he is jealous

3. How did you feel about Edward's four options regarding Bella?
He just wants what is best for Bella, even if that means they are not together. Its not an easy decision for Edward to follow through with though.

4. What surprised you most about the conversation they had?
The fact that for a while there they managed to talk very openly and honestly with no holes barred. I did love the humour though that was used at times. It was refreshing to see the characters open up like that
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
you.are.my.heroin
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I really liked it, it gave me a better insight to each of them

2. Are you surprised to see Edward admitting his jealousy and showing less patience?
Yeah, he's normally so calm and in controll.

I hated them all except the one of him changing her.

That Edward had even ever considered leaving Bella with Jake.
**Kathryn**
SugarPlum
Settled in Forks

Post by SugarPlum »

I think it was good because it gave them a chance to lay everything out on the table. They needed to understand each other a little more if they were going to be competiting for the same girl.

I loved it. It was nice to see his icy suface crack a little. I wanted to know how he really felt and not just what he wanted Bella to see.

I was surprised that he was even trying to think of other options. Not because it isn't like him to think things through, but because he was doing nothing but torturing himself by doing it.

That they were having it at all.
Click it, you know you want to...
Danica
Wandering Through Town

Post by Danica »

to be honest it reminded me of two dogs sizing each other up. Trying to get the measure of each other. A little bit easier for Edward admittedly than Jacob. Which is probably why, apart from not wanting to hurt bella, that he didn’t form some sneaky plain to dispatch of the wolf behind bellas back. He could see Jacob’s intentions clearly. And to be honest with himself he couldn’t condone them. After all it was his mistake that left the opening for Jacob. Which is probably the reason why Edward decided to be honest with Jacob. To make his own motives clear, rather than Jake labouring under misapprehensions and accusations Edward would have to face each time he came within brain wave distance of Jacob. Accusations that hit a bit to close to home for Edward and his need to feel responsible for everything. but it is every much like an experienced worldly man talking to a boy that has never been further that his back yard.i'm sure he give jake alot to think about. after jacob realises that edward isnt as big a monster as he would like to believe they start bonding over the other mutual ground they have... their love for bella. lock two males in a room long enough they will find something to get on over :) thats blokes. even though they are rivals at least they both walk away with a better understanding and mutual respect for each other. though each more determind to win. they cant hate each other as much as they would both like to.

no. edward is after all only human... sort of. worse than that hes a man :) what else would you expect when hes having to face some of his worst insecurities that he tortures himself with on an hourly bases? jacob sort of becomes the manifisation of the side of him that wants bella to be free of him to live a happy untainted life, able to argue back with all the reasoning that made him leave in the first place. if he hadnt have learned his lesson the last time he might have had the will to leave bella then and there. but there is also the promise. besides who after burning themselves puts their hand back into the flame? maybe because it is so much like an outward projection of his inner struggles that hes laid bared and abit more exsplosed than he normally is.

every edward. stubborn and resolved. of course he'd have to go through them all before excepting what everyone else had already excepted

that they both agreed a truce till the morning :) i didnt think they could have waited that long :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...
watch out the green imp is about....
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

shocked. the whole time i was like "this is a dream bellas having...isnt it??"

ya!! again, this whole thing was strange and shocking to me!!

logical, and i had kinda already figured it out so, this was one of the things that hadnt surprised me in this chapter.

once again, i. was. shocked.!! how many times must i say it??? for the first two pages, i was sure bella was dreaming....thats how bad it was!!
Betting on Alice.
Emmett_Pwnz_All
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Emmett_Pwnz_All »

I think it made them like each other a little more...WELL TOLERATE :D
And I think it was interesting they talked NEAR BELLA :|

No because he's a very jealous and honest person.

Typical.

That THEY TALKED NEAR BELLA. I mean seroiusly! :P
mimiishinlove<3
Image `; [mimimccarty<3 lubs kellmett and the medic droid<3] Karl=TwiGuy#1Mimi2=TwiTwin! :D
OMEEEE ILY GREGORYGORGEOUS<3
Mrs Cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by Mrs Cullen »

[quote="ilovespaceheaters"]This is my favourite chapter in Eclipse!I Adore It!!!

I think it shows that they can get along if they try... :lol: And that they both have some things in common.

He chose the right one for Bella. Not so much for the people who love her. I wished it was me though... :lol:

How honest they both were, it shows they can get along okay. And the fact they didn't tear each other apart. :lol:

Just to add, I loved the bit at the end where everything went back to it's rivalry self... :lol:
тєαм ¢υℓℓєи- вяιиgιиg ѕєχу вα¢к ѕιи¢є 1901!!!
And so the lion fell in <3 with the lamb. What a stupid lamb. What a sick masochistic lion...
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Chapter 22 ~ Fire and Ice

Post by rainbowcrayon »

Edward and Jacob understand clearly that they are rivals, each vying for Bella's heart, her life. Edward understands Jacob's motivations as he can read his mind, and Jacob is trying to understand Edward's reasoning. In a way, for a time it neutralizes a bit the rivalry between them as they try to understand each other. Sadly, and not unexpectedly, they return to their hostility with the dawn. Jacob is much more of the one to wear his heart on his sleeve, and yet even he remains hidden at some times. This encounter allows us to understand both of them much more clearly.

It was Edward's mistake that left the opening for Jacob... Without Edward's departure, Jacob never would have stepped in or forged that relationship with Bella. Edward feels almost as if he owes something to Jacob, other than his gratitude for Jake saving Bella's life, which Edward had already confessed. Edward decides to be honest with Jacob so that Jake understands what is really going on. Jacob is accusing Edward, every time they see one another, for the pain that Edward left Bella in with his departure. Edward feels immense pain and the weight of responsibility, and seems in a way much more mature than Jacob with his calm confession than with Jake's wild thoughts and plans. Despite all this, I still fell for Jacob over Edward. Jacob is everything for Bella to live a happy normal life, while with Edward, she may be giving up everything including her motherhood, her mortality, and perhaps her soul. This torments Edward and constantly forces him to reevaluate the situation and his motives, and why he left in the first place. Wouldn't it be better if he had just stayed away? Would Bella be happy with Jacob? Would she be safer if he was gone? Edward asks himself these questions and this only adds to his maturity over Jacob... And yet, in my mind, Jacob still prevails, though in the end he loses the battle for Bella's heart, and her life.

I agreed with Jacob, and liked option one. It is rather like Stephenie Meyer says, on her FAQ, when asked about character's flaws... Edward is highly prone to overreaction. Perhaps some of this is deserved, as this is an extraordinary situation, however Edward seems to carry everything too far in every area.

The restraint with which they both held themselves and were able to talk in a mostly civilized and personal manner was perhaps the most surprising. It seemed to me to be the first glimpse of the brotherly affection we see later, such as in Breaking Dawn in the later chapters, where much of the competition between Jacob and Edward has become much more rational and playful. They seem to genuinely understand if not care about one another, despite their prejudices and rivalry.

I also love the Robert Frost poem that opens the book as a whole, and how its title ties into this chapter and into the entire book. The depth of Fire and Ice within the story of Eclipse is really incredible if one takes the time to ponder it.

Some say the world will end in fire
Some say in ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But if it had to perish twice
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was a thread commenting on the quotes opening the books and how they relate to the story as a whole? I don't know, it seems fascinating to me, but I love that kind of thing.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I was pretty shocked to be honest! I was proud of Edward answering questions so honestly, and for being extremely understanding of Jacob sleeping in the sleeping bag with Bella. I was proud of Jacob for not getting mad, and for actually calling Edward by his name! It was a nice chapter - it shows that they both can be nice to each other!

Hmm, not really. I imagine he would get jealous etc, and it's a very "Edward" thing to admit it LOL. Although I was a little surprised that he was telling Jacob all this stuff! But it was a nice insight into Edwards character.

Very logical choices! LOL.

The fact that they were having it! :lol: It was a little strange, especially considering I do think Jake nessassarily deserved to hear all of it but anyways. I guess I was most surprised about how honest they were both being to one another. It was nice to see them get on tho.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
alicecullenrocks
Settled in Forks

Post by alicecullenrocks »

I love this chapter its very well written, the situation is funny the jealousy is obvious, the honesty between them is suprising, men tend to be like this though women would never do this ever! It shows steph really knows men!!

not really Jacob is curled up next to his fiance, any guy would be crazy jealous.
and the fact Jacob seems to be enjoying it a little too much :lol: and then Bella calls him "my Jacob" really good stuff!!

they were HIS options for Bella, he is older and wiser but should really have spoke to her about her options, but then this is the edward character.

the fact Edward didnt loose his cool and rip Jacob off Bella when he could hear him fantasizing about her, knowing hes snuggled up to her!!