Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
crazy4more
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by crazy4more »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
What honeymoon???? I wanted more detail...it ended up with him regretting pages after pages

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
No...I get it that she's like a fragile...but they both experienced the best time of their lives-don't sour the mood.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
Edward was born w/generosity, becoming a vampire just make the behaviour stronger ANd raised by Carlisle and Esme helped.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
Yes....she just found his weakness..."PLEASEEEEE..."
Latima
Settled in Forks

Post by Latima »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I actually did not think Edward would be able to enjoy himself because he would have to be more focused on not killing Bella. I also think a swollen lip and bruises all over her body is pretty bad. I guess he could have killed her, but I didnt think he would actually kill her. I do wish there was a more detailed description because all I know is that they started in the water and somehow she woke up in the bed happy and bruised up. It was still a great scene!!

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
Considering Edwards personality and how he is 'prone to overreaction' it does not suprise me that he acted that way. Not to mention he cannot read her mind and they both edit to protect each other so I cant really blame him. I would have to say he is 'only human'

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I do think that everything about Edward is a learned behavior from his upbringing. Men were different in the early 1900's he was probably raise to be extremely respectful and protective over his wife/girlfriend/ or women in general. That was the upbringing of his early human life....then after he was turned he lived with Carlisle who is even older than he is....he had no choice but to be brought up as a respectful gentleman. His human family seemed to be respectful....his father seemed to treasure his mother (due to the hand-me-downs Edward has for Alice, Esme, and Bella) and it is proven that Carlisle treats Esme with respect and he cherishes her (Isle Esme for example). Edward is just an all around GREAT guy.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
No, it surprised me that he went back on his world. He is usually the more responsible one in that department of the relationship. He also gives Bella whatever she wants so he was probably going insane with her waking up in the middle of the night crying etc. he could not refuse her.
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? I had expected her to be a little bruised up it really but nothing beyond that. She would have said something if he had hurt her worse and he would have stopped.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” No he sucked for that Edward is always so dang dramatic. He should have waited you waked her at least to see how she was before her freaked out. I think he should have expected the bruising.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think he was a generous person in his mortal life as well and that his and and his families resources allow them to be extreme about it.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? No I did not. He's just as hard headed as Bella.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less ***I was hoping for more details like everyone else. Passion like their should have rocked the foundation…

In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” ***It’s Edward, he’s a kill joy…

Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? ***He is what he has been taught to be by Carlisle.

Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? ***Oh, yah…once bitten

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
luvinedward
Settled in Forks

Post by luvinedward »

Alphie wrote:Lots of gratitude to Malaz who came through in a real hurry for us and provided these questions!

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? I really didn't know what to expect. But that was a really important scene. Now we can understand why Edward was so anxious about any physical contact with Bella. It just brought it home that he is what he is and even the slightest breach in control could have dire consequences.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” I expected just that because he loves her so much. It would have been completely out of character for him to say,"Well, your not hurt as bad as I thought that you would be."

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think that it's in his nature to be generous. I think that it was said in Eclipse that your natural human tendencies are carried over, even amplified, when you are changed. This was said when Bella was worried that she would no longer be Bella after she was changed. So generosity is just a part of who he is.

No, but I'm glad that he did.
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I actually thought everything would have turned out fine. Edward has been very good about being careful around Bella and I thought everything would be fine because it usually ends up fine when Edward freaks out lol.

I think he thought it was important that Bella understand the danger she put herslef in, and he thought it was important to express how sorry he was that he allowed her to be hurt. However, Edward needed to take a moment to absorb Bella's mood because it was her wedding night too and he could have found a way to express himself without upsetting her. This part really drove me crazy because I just wanted to shake Edward and make him believe that Bella wasn't lying about how she felt. If he was driving me crazy I can only imagine what he would have been doing to Bella with his sour mood.

Judging by the rest of Edward's personality I think he was probably more generous to begin with than even he realizes. However, I'm sure Carlisle has only strengthened Edward's generosity. Generosity is an excellent quality to have and for Edward and Carlisle it is only extreme for the ones they love. I love this about them because it shows that they do have human qualities even if they don't realize it themselves. Edward always thinks of himself as a monster, but if he thought hard enough he would see that he is more human than he realizes.

I figured eventually he would. He has already broken promises to himself. He started out doing his best to stay away from Bella and that just got him married to her. I don't think either of them have much will power when it comes to the other person.
christyg
Settled in Forks

Post by christyg »

I didn't think she should have been so bruised (just a few hours later) the next morning, maybe a couple of days before the bruising showed. If it was that bruised just a few hours later, Bella would have been in a lot of pain!

Yes and no. I expected that from Edward cause thats just how he is. But he shouldn't have kept it up when Bella said how wonderful it was for her.

Both learned and inherited. He see's how generous Carlisle is to Esmay and with all of the heirlooms (diamonds, jewelery etc.) he inherited from his parents, right there you know that his real father was very generous to his mother. You learn what you see.

I thought that he had agreed to Bella that they would try after they were married? So I don't get the question. He knew how much it meant to Bella and she is his only concern and the fact that Bella had so much faith in him, helped with his doubts about it.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

I was surprised how little she was hurt but that is a good thing. Im glad Bella did have bruises at least as it shows just how strong Edward is and justifies his reasons for holding back.

He didnt intend to sour Bella's mood. It must have been hard not to get himself all worked up and to have sat there all night watching Bella as she slept and seeing more and more bruises appearing - must have been horrible for Edward. He was also so worried for Bella and anxious as to how much he hurt her and how much she was suffering.

If you are not used to being showered in gifts (I know im not haha) then it is something that is shocking at first but you learn to live with it - it is part of Edward's nature. Its good that Bella is uncomfortable/embarrassed with it at first as it shows she is not selfish and not just after Edward's money. It is an endearing quality of Bella.

I thought he might do a little but would always stoop before things got serious and "out of hand". He is a stong minded person and will stick to his guns as much as possible. The fact that he is so scared of hurting Bella would be enough motivation to say no, even if it is hard to turn Bella down.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
helz
Settled in Forks

Post by helz »

I was never really sure to what the severity of her injuries would be, i did however feel the same great need for Bella and Edward to sleep together as Bella did, so really in the end it didn't matter how hurt she was, because it would be worth it...

yes he was deffinatly justified because the fact that he put so much effort into making it into a big deal proved once again how much he really loved her. it was just a shame really that he was a little blind to the fact that she wasnt greatly injured and therefore was ruining the mood.

yes it deffinatly is... although we don't know all that much about him before he became a vampire, he could have been an extremly generous person in his earlier life. i also think his generosity is a denotes a sense of his gentlmanly ways, something which reflects the era he was from before bitten himself.

yes, although he stands strong on his convictions, he often gives in. it was only a matter of time before he gave into this too.
AliceluvsJasper2eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by AliceluvsJasper2eva »

I never thought while reading that injuries would occur int he "honeymoon" scene. But even if bella as did get hurt it was minor injuries and was worth it.

Edward didn't intend to "sour the mood"...it was a little hard for him watching bella as she slept seeing bruises occur all over her body. So he was just being cautious of what happened and how bella was going to react to it.

Edward's generostiy is a learned and inherited behavior because of how carlisle treats esme and him and his adopted siblings. It is in edward's nature to be exact. So it is a good thing that bella feels uncomfortable when edward gives her a gift..it gives her many qualities of how she/he has appreciative feelings for each other.

Oh no! I did not actually....since edward is able to do anything for bella I thought that she would talk him into the situation again. He promised it but most promises are broken because he cannot see bella sad in anyway.
Emmett and Edward are the hottest vampires alive!!!!